Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hound Dog
I spent some time in AriZ. My wife is from Phoenix and we are looking to move back. As I remember Williams A.F.B. is now a municipal airport a few miles from Chandler and Mesa. with many places to fly so we will be taking our motorhome on a extended tour of the area as soon as I can break free of the honey do's. and sell my place here. Come to think of it maybe JOEBAHL could use 12+ Texas acres.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Joebahl

I am liking that sea Float, is that young person next to it the pilot? been considering a Short Sunderland for a while but too many builds in the que.

If you like to be by the water in a warm climate you may wish to consider East TEX. .. lake Livingston by Trinity TEX. my son just purchased a place there and is eyeballing the place next to him. he is about 100 yards from the launch ramp. you might want to do your purchasing now the prices are nice.

I like you welcome the grands but they would have to come to me also. My retirement is for me! and I am enjoying it!
Sounds nice that close to a lake . Check out Ivans plans and you might try building one. Lukes thread has all the imfo along with videos further down , enjoy . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 AM
joebahl

Hound Dog
I spent some time in AriZ. My wife is from Phoenix and we are looking to move back. As I remember Williams A.F.B. is now a municipal airport a few miles from Chandler and Mesa. with many places to fly so we will be taking our motorhome on a extended tour of the area as soon as I can break free of the honey do's. and sell my place here. Come to think of it maybe JOEBAHL could use 12+ Texas acres.
Yea Not for me ,iam not going to shovel snow or cut grass either .lol free Sunderland plans Donnyman http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=46

Last edited by joebahl; 01-19-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hound Dog,
The Silver Eagles is the club that I was one of the original members. I remember we had most of a summer getting somewhere we could fly, finally our ad being answered by John Schnaubelt, with his private airstrip. The year after I left the club, they had to move the field, FS aircraft on the scene, or the prospect of it. Been to the new site once, guess it's okay, but, no original members left there, all new, and all somewhat less than willing to try glow fuel or building with wood.

The Bong Eagles, mostly a free flight club, and there I get to toot my horn a little. Went to Bong at the wrong time of the year, and at that time during hunting season, nothing else was allowed on the park. Got my rear thrown out of the park, then sat and thought, I'm a taxpayer, the park is funded on taxpayer dollars. Called a local politician that I didn't know at the time hated the DNR, asked why there isn't a field for model flying there, and nothing else allowed on it. He said he'd look into it. When I went out there the next spring, the superintendent of the park asked me what I wanted, I told him "cut the grass". Needless to say I wasn't on his favorite list. Made up for that over the next twenty years by being a volunteer photographer and limnologist, amateur grade in both, I'm not that well educated in anything I didn't have to know to make my living. It's been a long time since I've flown anything, but Bong is where I'll be flying. The electric foamy guys won't like it, but that's their problem, I happen to like the sound of a screaming engine, better even without a muffler.

Free flight isn't restricted to the RC field, they go pretty much wherever the wind dictates. And there's always wind. One other club seen there often is the Chicago Aeronuts, a great bunch of guys to hang with, and not entirely FF, they do a little RC, but then they have to use the dedicated field. It works well, the model people are the one group that I know of the park has never had any problems with. Seven square miles of area where even on the busy days, you can lose control, crash, and probably not hit anything but ground or a tree. And yes, the RC field does have it's "airplane eating tree".

A club from Grafton used the RC field for part of one year, they'd lost their field and were searching for another one, but they didn't like knowing they had no control and no priority, it's a public field, not even requiring AMA membership, but the park also assumes no responsibility. Surprisingly few times anyone was shot down by another transmitter being turned on. Probably shouldn't be too surprising it gets along without the park having to get involved with anything.

Rich.

Last edited by Greybeard1; 01-19-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: I blame advancing age.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
The Silver Eagles is the club that I was one of the original members. I remember we had most of a summer getting somewhere we could fly, finally our ad being answered by John Schnaubelt, with his private airstrip. The year after I left the club, they had to move the field, FS aircraft on the scene, or the prospect of it. Been to the new site once, guess it's okay, but

The Bong Eagles, mostly a free flight club, and there I get to toot my horn a little. Went to Bong at the wrong time of the year, and at that time during hunting season, nothing else was allowed on the park. Got my rear thrown out of the park, then sat and thought, I'm a taxpayer, the park is funded on taxpayer dollars. Called a local politician that I didn't know at the time hated the DNR, asked why there isn't a field for model flying there, and nothing else allowed on it. He said he'd look into it. When I went out there the next spring, the superintendent of the park asked me what I wanted, I told him "cut the grass". Needless to say I wasn't on his favorite list. Made up for that over the next twenty years by being a volunteer photographer and limnologist, amateur grade in both, I'm not that well educated in anything I didn't have to know to make my living. It's been a long time since I've flown anything, but Bong is where I'll be flying. The electric foamy guys won't like it, but that's their problem, I happen to like the sound of a screaming engine, better even without a muffler.

Free flight isn't restricted to the RC field, they go pretty much wherever the wind dictates. And there's always wind. One other club seen there often is the Chicago Aeronuts, a great bunch of guys to hang with, and not entirely FF, they do a little RC, but then they have to use the dedicated field. It works well, the model people are the one group that I know of the park has never had any problems with. Seven square miles of area where even on the busy days, you can lose control, crash, and probably not hit anything but ground or a tree. And yes, the RC field does have it's "airplane eating tree".

Rich.
One of the WI clubs had there field in a valley so when you flew your plane you seen notthing but hillside while you were trying to fly it . I flew my brand new Byron pitts there looooong ago at a 1/4 scale meet there and about had to change my shorts after a few flights. lmao joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-19-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by joebahl
One of the WI clubs had there field in a valley so when you flew your plane you seen notthing but hillside while you were trying to fly it . I flew my brand new Byron pitts there looooong ago at a 1/4 scale meet there and about had to change my shorts after a few flights. lmao joe
I should remember which club that is, but it's been a while. I know one of our members made a visit there, and commented when he got back it hadn't been where he wanted to fly. We didn't have any shortage of room, and we took advantage of it. Most of us didn't fly close in, but there were a couple, one of which helped me leave the club. Don't know where he is now, but nowhere local anymore.

Rich.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM
joebahl

I should remember which club that is, but it's been a while. I know one of our members made a visit there, and commented when he got back it hadn't been where he wanted to fly. We didn't have any shortage of room, and we took advantage of it. Most of us didn't fly close in, but there were a couple, one of which helped me leave the club. Don't know where he is now, but nowhere local anymore.

Rich.
I have belonged in two clubs in my 35 years of flying and now no club for me so i just go to water funflys or other events around here and see old friends from other clubs . Clubs and new rc pilots have changed over the years i think and i refuse to change with them , Or iam just a getting to be a old crabby ars ! lol joe
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-31-2021)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Apropos of the Chris Olsen 1958 Uproar, I have started to build the starboard wing. The original was lost in an accident over ten years ago due to pilot error. The pilot did not know how to programme his Futaba FF6 computer radio! I will put a build log on the section "Golden Age, Vintage and Antique."
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have some Comet kits in my shop. A lot of people these days are converting those little Comet and Guillows rubber kits to RC. Not uncommon to see a 16" WS warbird with full house controls, flaps, retracts, and bomb drop. Fun to build and convert to RC with a little experience. Youtube is full of them. Heck, now you can get a kit to convert a paper airplane to RC. Don't forget those little stick rubber planes (basic ROG type) with band hanging under the stick. People make those into RC too. I think I'll go cut a hole in my frisbee and make a drone out of it.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Joebahl

Thanks for the plans I downloaded them. i think I already have a set, but dowloading is quick and easy so ..........
Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have started the build log, or should that be "repair log" of the Uproar in the Golden Age, Vintage and Antique section.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I have started the build log, or should that be "repair log" of the Uproar in the Golden Age, Vintage and Antique section.
Post a link please ,would love to watch. joe
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
joebahl

Joebahl

Thanks for the plans I downloaded them. i think I already have a set, but dowloading is quick and easy so ..........
I have a link somewhere of a builder in the UK that changed a Ivan plan electrict 99 inch short solent to the one you want i will see if i can find it. joe
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Post a link please ,would love to watch. joe
Is this what you need Joe?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...tic-model.html
Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM
joebahl

Yep thanks i will check it out sir. joe
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, subscribed. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...tic-model.html

Think I found the thread with the Uproar too - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...462938&page=26, message #382 has the pic.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I refuse to be drawn and quartered to send to four different countries!

Rich.
Don't worry the pieces wouldn't go far AMA rules require us to keep the airplane in line of sight and at our age and with our sight....
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Okay, that definition makes sense. WOT 4 is an Ugly Stik style of aircraft. There's been many variants of the Ugly in the US through various manufacturers including the Far East. Perhaps the first and I think it predated the Ugly was a smaller A size model, the RCM Royal Coachman. Probably the reason why WOT 4 here never caught on is due to the proliferation of Uglies and variants here in US. It wasn't until Outerzone that I got to see many of the fine models from UK, as well as other parts of Eastern Europe. Frog and KeilKraft, plans from Aeromodeller had many lovely models, rivaling that of Comet, Guillows, Berkeley, Top Flite, DeMECO, Goldberg and etc.

Unfortunately, Google slants search results based on region and their perceived interests of the searcher. Scrolling through, there were very few aircraft, lots of SciFi, only group photos were a superhero SciFi costume convention and various other individual and a few couples that I gather had connections with Chris Foss.
I think I found it: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3...436/538265.jpg

As a group I have seen such a motley group of old reprobates since my last visit to the local club I haunt!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Don't worry the pieces wouldn't go far AMA rules require us to keep the airplane in line of sight and at our age and with our sight....
Now you know why i build bigger rc airplanes :-) joe
Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

You'll never catch me doing a "repair log" mine always seem to qualify as a new build after I have rekitted them!
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-31-2021)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 AM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

84 going on 16. Do any of you youngsters recall the silk and wire Japanese ready-to fly rubber powered planes? How about the Phantom Flash ROG? LePage glue? Ah, memories.
Now to get back in the shop and finish rebuilding my PT19 that I dorked. G23 powered...far from the old rubber powered models...Korda, anyone?
Jim B
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The coolest plane I remember is a control line plane a friends father brought home from Japan. All aluminum and riveted panels. Weighed a ton and flew for crap but it was cool!!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by jimbrock2
84 going on 16. Do any of you youngsters recall the silk and wire Japanese ready-to fly rubber powered planes? How about the Phantom Flash ROG? LePage glue? Ah, memories.
Now to get back in the shop and finish rebuilding my PT19 that I dorked. G23 powered...far from the old rubber powered models...Korda, anyone?
Jim B
Welcome Jim ! good to hear there are still guys like you around . joe
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3...436/538265.jpg

That's me, the good looking one, third from the left in the yellow shorts and dark blue tee shirt.

Actually there's quite a bit of talent there, a doctor, two electronics engineers, a former naval officer, an electrician, an engineer, a builder and an electrician who prefers to make a living as a gardener whenever the sun shines! Can you guess which is which?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-20-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Hossfly

I dont blame you and yes iam living the American dream:-) Hoss me and the gf will be out by you soon ,hope i spell this correct in Humble Texas . She lived there before while in the USAF and we are going to look and at few warm places soon to retire . Yes Hoss i know you guys out there enjoy our hobby as much as i have for 35 years :-) joe
GREAT! There is a tremendous amount of model aviation in the Greater Houston area. Hobby shops are not too many, but the few around are very good ones and very supportive. Once you get out of Greater Houston, taxes are much less than the other states north Through East. No personal income tax. There is a tax on purchases except for standard foods. The area out west of Houston is really growing. Same is about to happen on this North-Nor. East area. I live some 5 miles east outside of "New Caney" which is on US 59 (Already named Interstate 69). About 5 miles down the road is Porter, fairly large "Town" and growing. The Grand Parkway is under construction on the north side of Porter. That is the one on the far side of Houston and it is coming north fast.
Only bad thing about aeromodeling in the greater Houston area is that there are so many activities each weekend from March through November that one cannot attend them all. Some weekends have 3 or more events going and one feels badly because one cannot attend all. Jetero RC Club is my main club. Jetero owns 50 flat acres of farmland. 4000 sq. ft. of concrete under same of metal shelter. Air Conditioned sitting room and kitchen along with outdoor toilet system. Other than parking lot and 100+ wide and 800 ft. long manicured (paid) runway a farmer grows hay on the larger part of the acreage. Always easy to find a downed model.
No we do NOT charge for his hay. We have no problem with having a very nice field with no requirements to have to do mowing our selves, there are no weeds, ETC. to bother with and 40 acres are kept in the Agriculture Tax role. That does make a difference.
For any club, there are folks that probably would like to have their IRAs doing much better things than the "Interest" of the day and age.
Someone could own some land, and lease it to some club or better still use IRA to buy the land, and sell it to some group and collect payments each month. If a club member should like to do such for assisting aeromodeling then everyone is a winner! If that someone is using an IRA for such, well that someone can be a club-member BUT NOT AN OFFICER. (IRS) I won't even charge for my advice service.

Last edited by Hossfly; 01-20-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.