Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay telmaster boy do I wish you would just use plain English C of G do you mean C/G and "tout de suitet" , or just make them tight.
Just kidding I know you English think we murder the lanquage. post a picture of your bird/plane.

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hay telmaster boy do I wish you would just use plain English C of G do you mean C/G and "tout de suitet" , or just make them tight. Just kidding I know you English think we murder the lanquage. post a picture of your bird/plane. Cheers Bob T
Bob, he posted a handful of photos of his Be-2 bipe about a dozen messages back. I had the CG aft on a parasol plane, flew fine on full throttle but was squirrelly when power was cut. (Not saying this is telemaster's problem, just part of my learning curve. )
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Tout de suite is French for "straight away," appropriate as I'll be retiring to France soon! Do they teach foreign languages in the American educational system?

I have consulted another builder who has built and flown this model. http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?...;topicseen#new.

The C/G, c of g, or balance point seems to be correct so something else was causing that instability!

Wednesday 25th March has dawned cold but calm in the Old Country so flying is definitely on. I don't need an excuse for showing off one of my models even if I didn't build it!

Wish me luck!

PS. I was buying an ordinary pair of blue overalls from a market stall when I noticed the orange ones going cheap, so I bought those as well. They are beautifully made from very heavy cotton for the British Coal Board but as successive governments have preferred to import coal from poorer countries rather than to employ our own to mine our own coal stocks, they are available cheap and have become my trade mark at the flying field. The hat is an Austalian Akubra. I lived there in the 1970s. I worked on the Australian National Railroad out in the Victoria Desert. You just don't buy an Akubra. It's a bit like buying a new Rolls Royce, you choose the style and colour and send them your hat size in centimetres. In the fullness of time your hat arrives. It keeps my head warm in the winter and it keeps the sun out of my eyes in the summer! It now has a few oil stains. Not the way to treat a $100 hat!

Enough of this sartorial advice, I must get some breakfast and go flying!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e (5).JPG
Views:	363
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	2083986   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	2083987  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-24-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 AM
rt3232

Tellmaster

I hope you did not take offence of my comments as they were made in jest, that is why most of my buddies tell me I am a PITA.

Thanks for the clariification on "tout de suite", and yes they do teach foreign languages in our school system, in my day it was Latin, German and Spanish and wanting to be a tool engineer I did not prevail of the opportunity and to this day I have regretted it, and I have to admit even English spelling was my bad and never got more than a D , so when I worked in industry thank god for secretaries that were great in covering my butt
I have a RCU buddy in OZ that posted "OZ101" so I have learned to under stand him quite well and some of the frases that are used.
When I quit building models I just may go back to school to learn a language, foreign that is

Well enough of this banter

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hay telmaster boy do I wish you would just use plain English C of G do you mean C/G and "tout de suitet" , or just make them tight.
Just kidding I know you English think we murder the lanquage. post a picture of your bird/plane.

Cheers Bob T
I'm any Okie the English don't think we murder the language they out and out know it!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the incidence wires the ones that cross between the interplane struts? Yeah, if those are missing that could really explain your problems!

I'm sure that having the proper hat and coveralls will help too! Let us know how it goes.

Jim
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Just a brief update on the BE2.

I took it to the flying field today having made no changes other than introducing more "down" on the elevator and fitting the incidence wires, and yes BB those are the very wires I fitted yesterday. It took ages to rig and I was ably assisted and advised by a chap called Tom who is very knowledgeable in all matters concerning aerodynamics. I had three flights with it and the engine cut on the landing approach on each occasion. I put it down to the engine being new. I found that I had to use the rudder a lot in the turns because the ailerons produce a lot of drag and there is no aileron differential. With a single centrally mounted servo rigging up aileron differential would be impossible. On the third flight my pal Kit Davidson asked me what it was like to fly and I said, "You can't relax for a second!" Mind you that was partly me not the model! Maybe it's just a question of getting used to it and running in the engine. One thing I do know is that I don't need to add any more weight to the nose of the model.

There are a number of small jobs to be done. I think I'll try reducing the aileron travel and mixing some rudder in with the ailerons. I might also put a couple of washers under the rear bolts of the engine plate. There seems to be a leak from the fuel tank which couldn't have helped the engine reliability and I would like to replace the plastic clevises on the end of the aileron struts with steel ones which will involve me shortening the struts. The first two landings were wheelers but the last one flipped over breaking one of my new incidence wires so that's got to be fixed too.

The Laser and the Enya have turned up. The Laser appeared to be seized but the good thing about Lasers is that they will stand upright on a flat surface so I filled the cylinder with fuel and left it overnight. I fitted a propeller this morning and found that it turned and that the valves opened and closed. The Enya is a typically sturdy specimen with good compression. I hope to run them both over the next few days.

Bye for now. Must shoot over to the local hardware store. There's a 10% discount for over 60s on Wednesdays.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-25-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Telemaster, you can also place it on an old pan and pop it into a 125 C to 130 C oven for about 15 to 20 minutes and she should free up.

Mike
Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 AM
rt3232

Also put it in an old crock pot with anti-freeze/ethylene glycol, enough to cover the engine cook on low for 12 hrs and it will free up and come out looking like a brand new engine

cheers Bob T
Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default credentials attached

58 yoa ....credentials attached

Name:	license.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	2084189  
Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by jwfly

Must have been using an AM radio!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well its officially Spring we had tornadoes in Moore (they were greedy and had 2), Sand Springs, and Tulsa last night. I saw in my yard and heard hit hail the size of peas, marbles, golf balls, and the attention getter baseball size! No damage except for the cars parked out side. 4 cars 2 garages oh well.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:15 AM
rlipsett

I remember getting into the flying hobby by the T. O. Y. method. as a young boy I remember collecting box tops to buy a Cessna plane that was essentianly a plane on a long stick that you held out away from you and that plane did circles around then end point of the stick with batteries to run the prop. This unfortuneatly led to the vertibird incidents in which I started flying toy helicopters around in a tethered circle picking up astronauts in rafts. then I got on to the hard stuff like the flying aces attack night fighters. A diecast metal plane that plugged into a power cord that had a prop spinning on it that made the move so fast that the centrifugal force made it seem to fly. (what were my parents thinking) I then graduated up to a hairy canary. this was one of my first forays into somewhat true flight. True it flew around in a tethered circle in the house but I had control of both throttle and elevator. Now It began to get really hot and heavy I had my first control line trainer. There are reasons why you should not try to fly one on extremely windy days. On the upwind side the wind blew it in toward me and it went way up then fractured into little pieces when it piled into the ground. my next one I was getting really addicted and cocky when I tried to do a loop and fly upside down. that ended badly because gravity fed cox 049 engines don't like upside down. then guillow planes like corsairs where I honed my bad model making and covering abilities. planes looked like they had battle damage before the first flight. then my first rc plane a sig cadet. I never got to fly that on my own, the first place I went to the informal club shut down and I lost my teacher and the second place I went to was not to friendly in teaching my to fly. never had enough time to get me up more then once or maybe twice a day. got the plane in trouble and pulled up hard enough to rip the wing mount through the aircraft. Pile drove the plane in hard enough to destroy the engine. 18 years later I was trying again in a new club with a tower hobby supersport. First flight was with bad elastics and they did not last the whole flight another pile driven aircraft. the next plane was a dura plane unbreakable in which I mastered its flight characteristics. Amazing thing was that after that plane no other plane was as hard to fly as that guided missile of a dura plane was and now I am forever hooked
Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Now, that's COOL!!!!!!! And it's signed by the man, himself. Even better.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM
buzzard bait

I think mixing rudder with aileron is a good idea, and probably reducing aileron throw too. Looking forward to the next report.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM
jwfly

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
better than that... one bellcrank....two long strings and a handle
Old 03-26-2015, 03:15 PM
jwfly

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Now, that's COOL!!!!!!! And it's signed by the man, himself. Even better.

12 years old...had no idea of the legend of Carl Goldberg...somehow it survived and now holds a place of honor...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I think mixing rudder with aileron is a good idea, and probably reducing aileron throw too. Looking forward to the next report.
That's interesting BB, I got just the opposite advice from the English bloke who has built two of them and filmed his flights on YouTube.

"Oh dear, I forgot to tell you.
You have to fly it!!
If you try to induce the turn on aileron, the model will bank, carry on flying straight on and start to slip, just like the full size.
You initiate the turn with rudder then feed in opposite aileron to keep the turn flat, takes a little skill that's all.
Forget mixing rudder with aileron, you'll kill it.
Forget differential and messing with bellcranks, just fly it."

I must say that it looks a grand sight in the air and I have received many compliments from clubmates about it. Shame I didn't build it myself!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

You've got me interested in building a bipe.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Well there are plenty to choose from!

If you want to build one the same as mine, the plan is available here:

http://flyingscalemodels.com/store/p...y-b-e-2e-plan/

And you can get a short-kit for it too. That's what I'm using for my own model.

PS. The cut parts are £130 and the price charged for sending the plan outside the UK is exorbitant! If anyone wants one let me know and I'll send it on to you at cost.

Alternatively you can download the plan from the Outerzone and then have an American laser cutter make up a kit for you. That would be a cheaper option.

Name:	Basic Fuselage Structure (Small).JPG
Views:	364
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2084446  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-27-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 AM
buzzard bait

Well the other guy has flown one, so you can't go wrong there. I mix some rudder with aileron on my WWI types because the ailerons don't have a pure roll axis effect anyway, they also induce adverse yaw. So I figure I might as well take some of it out with coupled rudder. But I don't rely on right stick only, I use the rudder stick too.

Where I differ with his is "you'll kill it" if you mix in rudder. Did he actually try that? How much? That part sounds highly dubious to me. But suit yourself. It's true that if you use plenty of rudder on the turns you won't need coupling.

Jim
Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 AM
charlie111

I Bought that Comet Airplane 52 or 57 inch Wingspan! I have the Kit Unbuilt But, All Parts &Plans! Piper Even Has Rubber Band & Prop. It would make a Nice Biplane! I'm Flight Testing a Self Rotating Wing Aircraft I built on Sunday! You can see it on Twitter or You Tube rotate1953
Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

better than that... one bellcrank....two long strings and a handle
I've still got a couple a Futaba AM Radios. Just (last year) converted my Beat-Up Anniversary Cub on Floats w/60 ringed OS
To 2.4 From AM G-Connectors. I also have 4 C/L models hanging in the basement wall in Wisconsin. One a Sterling Profile that has an R/C OS 40 and 75 MHz Receiver (From his Gas Car) and throttle servo. He Used his Car Xmitter in his left hand for throttle and the C/L handle in his right hand. My son when 10 years old would fly it around Land / Taxi around the Circle the take off again. Come to think He's the one that calls me a Horder. Guess he's right This is just one corner of the spare room. U can only open the door but U must move something to get in to any certain plane/Motor/parts, Ect. Then there's the basement. Guess he right, bout the horder crap, anyway.
I have Pics of the whole room but can't UnZip them. Before Phil Katz killed himself PKZIP and the like was free. Not so from 8.0 and on.

Name:	20150315_160721.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2084453  

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-27-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Well the other guy has flown one, so you can't go wrong there. I mix some rudder with aileron on my WWI types because the ailerons don't have a pure roll axis effect anyway, they also induce adverse yaw. So I figure I might as well take some of it out with coupled rudder. But I don't rely on right stick only, I use the rudder stick too.

Where I differ with his is "you'll kill it" if you mix in rudder. Did he actually try that? How much? That part sounds highly dubious to me. But suit yourself. It's true that if you use plenty of rudder on the turns you won't need coupling.

Jim
Hey Jimmy: Glad to see someone knows what the Left thumb is for. U'd be Surprised at the number of Long Time R/C (I'll use the word) PILOTS, say they don't need "No Stink'N Rudder" That's for steering on the Ground only. Just stand next to some (PILOTS) while landing and watch their Left Thumb. I've seen guys (Not PILOTS) leave their left thumb compleatly off the stick and lying on the radio ounce the pull the power off, to land, till the plane is on the Ground. Unbelievable.
As an intro pilot I've had several O'L Geezers come to our club (Because they get 2 months FREE AMA and club privileges) w/ these rudder/elevator throttle/3 channel cubs. Anyway I try to convince them to put the rudder back on the rudder Chanel not the aileron Chanel. Those that have, when the they graduate to the ext 4+ Chanel (Mustang) they tend to over control with the "RUDDER" go figure.
Anyways keep the left stick/thumb mov'en ... Just like us Tail Dagger Pilots do our Dance on the Rudder Peddles.
Remember the rudder turns the Plane the ailerons BANK it.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 AM
HoundDog

Might be a good idea before flying anything R/C, one obtains a Pilot Certificate Issued by
some (Designated Authority) Just to prove
That the knowledge and/or skills to fly a TOY
in the NAS has been acquired.
OH! Crap that's a discussion for another Forum.
SORRY GUYs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.