Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now back to the Morton M-5 when it first came out back in the late 40's our club pres got one and put it in a super buckneer free flight it would ROG off pasture grass and make about 4 or more circles up to about 400 when the engine quit it would do about the same but on landing it would nose over even with big bloon tires and ding the tip of the rudder, we had about a 600 acre pasture for a field as long as the owner did not have any cows in it. none of us had even heard about R/C, and based on what I know now it was why under powered.

I do look in every day

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-08-2016, 05:17 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
Well guys I hate to but in to a nice conversation about the Morten, but I have a question for all of you old geezers
Just opinun's witch paints are the litest with minimum, coats ? in the bast I have tried auto paints and did not like the increase in weight, also have used most brands of dope and with a good clear coat its good, and rattle can stuff did not like what I got even after wet sanding and a clear coat.
Currently I have 2 birds with plastic both Barf's, my weeks is fabric covered and painted with Nelsons Paints it gained 3 oz's my T/F G/S P47 and F4-U are both glassed and also have Nelsons paints on them but did not check the weight gain.

So

Cheers Bob T
Hello

I don't pay much attention to weight gain when painting unless it's small stick and tissue thingy. but I do enjoy the finish and low cost of ordinary brush on krylon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0065.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2161351  
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Latex over glass, let it dry for a few months, then hit it with automotive clear coat, the same stuff used over base coat, and not the lacquer based stuff, the enamal based with hardener added. You will need to spray it though, not rattle can. I did this to my TF Corsair and it came out great, very little weight added to it.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 AM
donnyman

I dropped by the Austin Texas R/C ASSOC. warbird meet and was greeted by a lot of exciting activity pilots and flying machines. 75 pilots an over 200 planes. the gentlemen from Monterrey Mexico took home two awards and put on a fine flying display. A large contingent showed up from Houstin Texas and elsewhere, the flying fun lasted all day.

Name:	DSCF0419.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	2161355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0420.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2161356  
Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I finally got the P-51 ready to fly and got it airborne, flew for a while and landed. Other than replacing the the gear wires with struts, and maybe a replacement cowl, not another thing needs to be done with it. It was all due to having too much elevator that caused it to snap roll into a perfect loop into the ground. Once I got it trimmed out, really nice flying plane.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I finally got the P-51 ready to fly and got it airborne, flew for a while and landed. Other than replacing the the gear wires with struts, and maybe a replacement cowl, not another thing needs to be done with it. It was all due to having too much elevator that caused it to snap roll into a perfect loop into the ground. Once I got it trimmed out, really nice flying plane.
Glad to hear it!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
I dropped by the Austin Texas R/C ASSOC. warbird meet and was greeted by a lot of exciting activity pilots and flying machines. 75 pilots an over 200 planes. the gentlemen from Monterrey Mexico took home two awards and put on a fine flying display. A large contingent showed up from Houstin Texas and elsewhere, the flying fun lasted all day.
Looks like a really fun trip! Hey Donny, do you have any idea what the airplane in the bottom of the second picture is? I checked and N258GG is a valid registration number.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:03 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Looks like a really fun trip! Hey Donny, do you have any idea what the airplane in the bottom of the second picture is? I checked and N258GG is a valid registration number.
That does look like a fun meet. Unfortunately it is. 4.5 hour drive away. I'm going to a local fun fly this Saturday.

Flyer that airplane is a Cirrus SR22. A high performance airplane. It also has a safety parachute for emergency situations.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
That does look like a fun meet. Unfortunately it is. 4.5 hour drive away. I'm going to a local fun fly this Saturday.

Flyer that airplane is a Cirrus SR22. A high performance airplane. It also has a safety parachute for emergency situations.
Thanks ETpilot, I thought I recognized it but my CRS kicked in and I couldn't think of the name. Its a great looking plane I guess I'll have to add it to my list!

Mike
Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 AM
donnyman

Flyer

I am right there with ya I couldn't think of the name either. and it is a good looking bird.

what stuck in my mind was the huge MOKI radial in the P-47 from Mexico It had a roar that lit your fires,There was another in a stearman but being uncowled sounded milder. Both were good eye and ear candy.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-10-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM
donnyman

I started cutting balsa to make a built up wing for my King cobra I am using the foam core from the kit to get the tip and center airfoil shapes.

This is the part I like most, scratching up a wing or whatever an trying to figure out just how I will proceed is fun for me, and it gives me the chance to burn up the scrap balsa I have accumulated.

This crummy weather is giving me a lot of build time. If anyone is interested I'll post pics.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
I started cutting balsa to make a built up wing for my King cobra I am using the foam core from the kit to get the tip and center airfoil shapes.

This is the part I like most, scratching up a wing or whatever an trying to figure out just how I will proceed is fun for me, and it gives me the chance to burn up the scrap balsa I have accumulated.

This crummy weather is giving me a lot of build time. If anyone is interested I'll post pics.
Donny, please do post pictures!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 AM
donnyman

Flyer

I am guesssing the weather up there hasn't hit you too hard, what I've seen is scarey!

Here's some eye candy for ya! I am slowed by the shaping of the ribs leading edges each is a different length and size which makes it quite difficult to shape them in the usual manner. The trailing edge is easy as it is straight and all the same size. once I get the shape and sizes worked out on the built up wing I will transfer it to the second set of ribs and make drawings.

Name:	DSCF0434.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2162243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0437.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	2162244  
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Ryan SC-M/W projects I have cut have a serverly tapered wing and the leading and trailing edges are also tapered lengthwise and in thickness. The challenge will be to get the two wings to match each other. I plan on using a razor plane to rough them out, then a belt sander, followed by hand sanding to final shape. Maybe by the second airplane I'll have it right?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I scratch build I trace the ribs and then use the copier to print the ribs and use sticky glue stick to copy's to the balsa. The copier I have is a HP Photosmart 6520. It will enlarge or reduce the copy's. I would assume that it could be used to make ribs for tapered wings using that feature.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
When I scratch build I trace the ribs and then use the copier to print the ribs and use sticky glue stick to copy's to the balsa. The copier I have is a HP Photosmart 6520. It will enlarge or reduce the copy's. I would assume that it could be used to make ribs for tapered wings using that feature.
That is my preferred method using rubber cement to hold the copies to the balsa and cut the ribs in pairs.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM
donnyman

Well Gentlemen all the methods mentioned work when one has patterns to follow, all I had was the center and tip ribs copied from the foam core of the kit wing so all the others have to be shaped a little differently, I stacked half of the ribs between my cardboad cut outs and shaped as much of the ribs I could but the leading edge taper is too steep to produce a good shape so it has to be completed in the jig with a sanding block. It is tedious but it works, I'll try to post another pics to show the technique, so someone can possibly show me a better method.

You will see the ribs are of several pieces if one isn't high enough I add to it then sand it to shape that way I consume my scrap lumber.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-14-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:53 AM
donnyman

I will attempt to show my rib shaping technique here. The tip and center ribs are traced from the foam core, a cardboard and two balsa ribs are cut for each end, then a stack of blanks are placed between the cut outs, one stack for each side of the wing, then shaped and drilled to fit my fixture. On the fixture I find the high and low spots with a straight edge sand carefully and ya got it. (Simplified explanation). The two wing halfs will be the same because the end blanks match. adding the retracts and servos come later. This is a custom setup.

Name:	DSCF0441.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	2162370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0435.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	2162371   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0434.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2162372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0438.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	2162374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0440.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2162377  
Old 05-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically you are doing a hot wire cut only with a sanding block. I worked at Cobalt boats in R&D we would build the plugs out of foam and Bond O. Then we would use sanding blocks up to 5' long to get the shape we wanted. We never got it just right the first time so More Bond O and do it again and again . I thought it was so cool to finally get a new hull and deck and in a few months there would be hundreds of brand new boats being shipped all over the world.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:17 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Donny, thanks for that wing making tutorial. I work my wings in similar fashion but I do not have a wing jig. I plan to make a similar wing jig for my next scratch build. I have a leftover aluminum Sq. tubing about 4-5 feet long. I also have a shorter version. I glue different sandpaper grit to two opposite sides. I use the long bar to sand the wing. It lets you know what spots need sanding as in your straight edge method. I like the Perma-Grit tools. I have the small version like you have. I ordered a brochure to see the Perma-Grit lineup and probably buy more tools.

Joe Fisher, thanks for the info on that printer will check it out. I need one to enlarge and reduce print.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 AM
donnyman

JOE FISHER

What you said "Basically you are doing a hot wire cut only with a sanding block." Is true and I hadn't thought of it that way. The foam block bondo technique is vaguely familiar to me I did somehing like that on my bulldog, works great.

ETpilot
Glad you liked my post , but believe me I hadn't intended it to be a tutorial, not in the least, I just wanted to share what I was doing with others in hopes of being shown a better way of doing it. I was and am seeking knowledge. Ain't smart enough to teach.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM
donnyman

Joe Fisher

Was wondering , How is the cub recovering coming along? got any recent pics?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got some time in on my VK Models DR-1 last weekend. I'm hoping to get more done this weekend. Below are the pictures.

I also received a new hardware kit for this kit my son purchased for my birthday from Proctor Enterprises. It fills in some missing peaces and its a lot better than the original VK stuff from the 70s. Iteven came with two tiny little turnbuckles!

Name:	Sunday.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2163346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2163348  
Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Message from a Subscriber

Greetings Gents - I just wanted to say hi again to everyone after a hiatus as I just finished up my first full year as a full-time professor. Just deposited last of grading online for the last class that was hanging out. Teaching was an eye opener to time management. Tallying things up, I taught 6 different courses + a short course for Brazilian students, and was therefore "on stage" in the classroom for a total of 284 times - ha! Did I mention this was my first experience formally teaching like this? Had to build up all those courses, with some light guidance from existing syllabi - but I am free until 29 Aug, now. How about that? Now I get it - why people go into teaching (at least one reason.)

The real point is that this thread is still going strong - so glad to see.

By the reckoning of timeanddate.com , this thread has been alive for 1 year, 5 months, 19 days - 536 days.

I've lurked briefly now and then but glad to see all the great camaraderie, here.
I'll post some info on some old-time projects I need to finish up and get flying.

And, here's another good thing. The college's IT department is getting in 3 3D printers the first week of July. Guess where I'll be in July...

Cheers, mates

Peter G.

Name:	fchild24K-FF-to-RC.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	2163349  
Old 05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I got some time in on my VK Models DR-1 last weekend. I'm hoping to get more done this weekend. Below are the pictures.

I also received a new hardware kit for this kit my son purchased for my birthday from Proctor Enterprises. It fills in some missing peaces and its a lot better than the original VK stuff from the 70s. Iteven came with two tiny little turnbuckles!
Back in the day I wanted that kit but my wallet said NO! much less that high dollar Proctor kit (way out of my budget) Please post pics as you make progress. Are you going full blast with the scale factor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.