Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PS Maxi 30cc Engine Fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PS Maxi 30cc Engine Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Maxi 30cc Engine Fuel

Hello,

Need some assistant in getting fuel for this plane. In some threads it says that you can use 0% nitro & 5% oil Cool Power in and regular 10% RC fuel. So confuse, which is correct.

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not familiar with the engine but high compression engines like the Moki run better on FAI fuel, that's just methanol alcohol with 20% castor oil. Most shops stock 5% nitro and they also run well with that. 10% nitro they may or may not like that much nitro. A lot of the engines made in Europe were designed to run with just FAI fuel because of the cost of nitro there. MDS engines from Russia were a good example. Higher nitro isn't going to hurt it but it may not run well with it? All you can do is try it.
I had a number of the MDS engines, only one ran well with my normal 15% nitro and the rest I either mixed up my own FAI fuel or used 5%.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:11 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grey Beard,
I went by my buddy and go the FAI fuel but it has 20% oil? Is it possible for me to use this in the OPS Maxi 30cc. Can't find any methanol or 10% nitro anywhere.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The Maxi has needle bearings at both ends of the connecting rod. This means it will run well on 5% oil. 20% oil is way too much and I would not suggest an all castor fuel in anything. The best setup you can do is straight methonol with 5% Klotz Thechniplate. Methonol should be easy to find just about anywhere and the Klotz can be ordered online. I would also suggest an OS F glow plug. The other option would be to have it converted to gasoline. All that is required is an ignition system. Do a google search on converting the Maxi and a good article will come up.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OOPS, as Shawn pointed out, needle bearings don't care for a lot of castor oil. I have never seen the engine and thought it was a normal ball bearing engine.When I was mixing my own fuel I was able to get the alcohol and nitro from a local speed shop and I get my Castor oil from SIG. My local Hobby People stocks 5% fuel in gallon plastic jugs. I was also buying the Klotz oil from Tower.

Last edited by Gray Beard; 01-27-2015 at 06:40 PM.