Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do I rescue a drone from a big tree?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do I rescue a drone from a big tree?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Titanium Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great ideas. Come on tho guys be easy on me, I would never fly directly over people or someones property because that is just plain dumb, notice I never flew over anything and notice the lack of people anywhere, the place is closed for winter. I also thought I showed pretty good control with those awesome tumbles The only thing that went wrong is that I tried the home button and it is on the same cheap loose button as headless mode and it disconnected the headless mode I was currently flying in so I got lost at a bad time being so close to that evil tree. The reason I was risking it so stupidly before that is because it was bought as a syma with hd cam and I got a cheap fake with .3mp cam so was kinda ticked off, then I lost it and was sad.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A guy could probably make a living flying a big quad to winch little quads to safety !

Somebody with extensive VERTIBIRD training could do it
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Indy Park Flyer

I had my trainer get caught in a tree a few years ago when a servo failed. One of our club members was having some trees trimmed and he mentioned my dilemma to one of the climbers who went up in the tree to trim out branches. The guy retrieved my plane for $50.00 and he didn't damage the plane, it was already damaged enough from the crash. Try calling a local tree trimmer and see what they say. The guy that helped me did it on his own time and used the climbing spikes, but he was up and back with my plane in about 5 minutes.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
daydream believer

Buy a cheap fishing pole from a local tackle shop.
You can buy a 9 metre one for £ 22-00 They do them up to 18 metres but they will be expensive
Then fit a hook made with a coat hanger in the end
The pole is handy as it will fold to 3 feet lengths. get one where the outer ends slide inside the handle end . I cannot recall if that is described as "put over" or "put in" but a tackle shop will tell you
Plus if you do not get it down you can take up fishing there is a lake nearby you can use
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM
N410DC

Some tool rental shops carry Cherry Pickers that can be towed by a small vehicle. If you can find one that has enough of a reach, it might be cheaper to rent one for a few hours.

That said, your best bet is to hire a professional.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:37 AM
jetmech05

No one said anything about your control, but what about a failure? Loose a motor all the control won't help.
I'd love to take my giant out and fly around the neighborhood. I know I could do it tricky approach as the street turns a bit and the roof tops and all.
But I never will to much of a chance for something to go wrong. A car comes along, if I dead stick I hit a house or crash in a back yard.
thats the difference between us and most quad flyers. We know things can go wrong and don't take the risk.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think it's a quads vs. planks issue. It's a Millennial vs. every other generation that's gone before them issue. Most Millennials have no concept of personal responsibility or thought for what can go wrong. It's understandable; they've lived their whole lives in an environment (public education) where they retake tests they fail and get participation trophies for losing. Add to that the helicopter parents who swoop in and keep them from suffering consequences for any of their mistakes and you get today's 20 year olds. They are cheerful, optimistic know it alls who think they can never fail because they are amazing at everything. I've watched these types at the flying field with planks too with about the same results you see with the OP's quad. There was one a couple of years ago having a great time; he wrecked his 3rd plane for the day while I was trying to explain how to avoid tip stalling his plane on takeoff when he gunned the throttle and, you guessed it, tip stalled his plane on takeoff. He was so excited to show his dad the plane pieces after. And dad actually affirmed him for that!
Maybe the OP isn't one of these guys, and I truly hope things turn out ok for his machine. I never like to see people lose their equipment even if it is their fault. But he and other young pilots reading need to understand that you can't take risks like this and just hope for the best. You have to fly smart and learn systematically so that you can ensure things like this don't happen. It's a new skill to learn, but it's a necessary one.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:28 AM
bikerbc

Its true saftey is often overlooked , espially I think by new comers that want to learn to fly without the benift of a mentor . A instructor will usually teach a new student to respect the dangers that we might not pick up on our own . When we first start out we are excited and the most important thing on our mind is how long we can keep it up . Kind of like sex huh? If we learn saftey as we learn to fly it just becomes natural . Still I believe we still need to police each other and remind our buddies if they forget something and endanger themslves or others . The loss of equiptment is bad enough but to hurt somebody as bad we easily could is unthinkable . I was an industrial first aid attendant for fourty years and I believe attitude is a huge part of keeping things safe. If you can keep a positive attitude towards saftey there will be less chance if having an accident .I realize this has nothing to do with recovering the OP's drone but its an attempt to agree with Jesters Post
Old 02-22-2016, 01:03 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Do the world a favor and leave it there.

Seriously, a friend who has about 3/4 of the money in the world bought 40 acres of nice, rolling countryside here and laid out a course for FPV variations to race. There are about a dozen adult, mature logical men who race through the obstacle course and have a real blast. But remember, in this situation, these are responsible adults flying over protected property with nothing around to harm. I have no problem with quads, FPVs or whatever being flown in this manner. But I believe that the way some drone flyers are acting out is going to cost this hobby dearly in the long run.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 AM
Titanium Dude

News! It fell down on its own after being up in that tree for 2 months of winter snow and rain, the battery still had some power and the quadcopter works perfectly. Thanks to the kind people here for your ideas.

How would someone flying a drone in public ever affect private property flyers? As much as I can see drones have not affected the R/C community whatsoever.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:53 AM
foodstick

The real worry is that any one person doing something dangerous or "newsworthy" could trigger the govt. to write more new rules on everyone across the board.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

This guy is clueless.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:37 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Titanium Dude
News! It fell down on its own after being up in that tree for 2 months of winter snow and rain, the battery still had some power and the quadcopter works perfectly. Thanks to the kind people here for your ideas.

How would someone flying a drone in public ever affect private property flyers? As much as I can see drones have not affected the R/C community whatsoever.
If a pilot were to loose control, as you did, and/or if there were a radio malfunction, the drone could harm or kill someone on private property. Not even the "failsafes" built into the drone can prevent a disaster if one of the motors stops working.

As for the second sentence, irresponsible and ignorant drone owners have led to recent federal action that requires all pilots in the R/C community to register with the Federal Aviation Administration. To say that drone operator have "affected" the R/C Community is an understatement of monumental, and Biblical proportions.

Originally Posted by foodstick
The real worry is that any one person doing something dangerous or "newsworthy" could trigger the govt. to write more new rules on everyone across the board.
Unless I am mistaken, this has kinda already happened, based on a tens of thousands of posts in the last few months, on various R/C forums. I even have a registration certificate to prove it!

P.S., Titanium Dude: if you are not registered with the FAA, you probably violated FAA policy when you determined that "...the quadcopter works perfectly." If you did so, the fine could be somewhere close to $30,000 or so. Might be time to do a little research.

Someone mentioned a possible "whistle blower" reward from the FAA. Who do I contact?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM
foodstick

I was just pointing out that with every incident that makes a big impact .. there will be a risk of increased rules.. Additional changes will probably be made as regular as taxes..
Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

foodstick, my last post wasn't meant for you. I was really reacting and commenting toward Titanium Dude.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N410DC
If a pilot were to loose control, as you did, and/or if there were a radio malfunction, the drone could harm or kill someone on private property. Not even the "failsafes" built into the drone can prevent a disaster if one of the motors stops working.

As for the second sentence, irresponsible and ignorant drone owners have led to recent federal action that requires all pilots in the R/C community to register with the Federal Aviation Administration. To say that drone operator have "affected" the R/C Community is an understatement of monumental, and Biblical proportions.

Unless I am mistaken, this has kinda already happened, based on a tens of thousands of posts in the last few months, on various R/C forums. I even have a registration certificate to prove it!

P.S., Titanium Dude: if you are not registered with the FAA, you probably violated FAA policy when you determined that "...the quadcopter works perfectly." If you did so, the fine could be somewhere close to $30,000 or so. Might be time to do a little research.

Someone mentioned a possible "whistle blower" reward from the FAA. Who do I contact?
You Might start HERE:Southern Region Regional Office Physical Address

Federal Aviation Administration
Southern Region
1701 Columbia Ave.
College Park, GA 30337

OR HERE:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ct_us_southern
Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Titanium Dude

Originally Posted by HoundDog
You Might start HERE:Southern Region Regional Office Physical Address

Federal Aviation Administration
Southern Region
1701 Columbia Ave.
College Park, GA 30337

OR HERE:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ct_us_southern

Believe me I don't like seeing some azz flying his big heavy drone over new york at night,,etc etc..or fpv flying large planes miles away from your home when you see nothing but straight ahead. My drone could freefall from 200ft and wouldn't hurt anything even a rabbit could take that hit, but from what I gather the new rules made are for larger heavy enough to hurt you drones, not these tiny toys that weigh a couple ounces and go about 150 feet max, and that makes sense, it should have been regulated this way a long time ago.

Now this was dangerous.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Titanium Dude; 02-26-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Titanium Dude
Believe me I don't like seeing some azz flying his big heavy drone over new york at night,,etc etc..or fpv flying large planes miles away from your home when you see nothing but straight ahead. My drone could freefall from 200ft and wouldn't hurt anything even a rabbit could take that hit, but from what I gather the new rules made are for larger heavy enough to hurt you drones, not these tiny toys that weigh a couple ounces and go about 150 feet max, and that makes sense, it should have been regulated this way a long time ago.

Now this was dangerous.
[IMG][/IMG]

Dangerous exceedingly, but legal according to the FAR's. Over A ton and a half and 33'-4" or werling rotors and loaded with 618 Lbs of flammable Jet A is OK but a 2 or 3 lb piece of carbon fiber and a LiPoly battery weighting 3/4 as much as the whole thing is Illegal any where any thing. Go Figure.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:14 AM
jetmech05

Dude if it weighs a 1/2 pound you need to register. I'm a new comer to the hobby compaired to some only about 15 years. Never had to register until quads started showing up in the flight path of manned aircraft.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:31 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Use a bow and arrow or crossbow [ less skill required ] to get a line over the branch. Fishing line mono filament best. Use the fishing line to pull a heavier line over. Start pulling, this has worked for me.
When you do please do everyone a favour and stand directly under the thing and shoot straight up so you don't loose the arrow LOL!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Titanium Dude

Originally Posted by jetmech05
Dude if it weighs a 1/2 pound you need to register. I'm a new comer to the hobby compaired to some only about 15 years. Never had to register until quads started showing up in the flight path of manned aircraft.
I know the law and totally agree with it, it's simple and reasonable and makes total sense even if it's way late. This law was desperately needed in the United States to have some accountability for the youtubers who are clearly risking peoples lives, not only with drones but all sorts of large heavy flying machines. The drone in my vid weighs less than 100 grams(under 1/4 lb) and cannot go higher or farther than around 200 feet.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Propworn
When you do please do everyone a favour and stand directly under the thing and shoot straight up so you don't loose the arrow LOL!!!
U Just kan't be fze'n so STUPID'S an Idea there Poopwoern,
Stupid is as stupid does F Gump '89 An thts thrrs rellies DUMB.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jetmech05
I ain't ever, meaning NEVER seen NO pictures or any cell phone video from the cockpit, of any DRONE, Has U?
Besides If the AMA had not tried to tell the FAA how to do their Job ... i.e. You can't mess with TOY Airplanes NO More Never again thru #336. Well U see what the FAA said to Congress and their amendment #336.. A great big FK'U and U haven't see one congressman or senator come to the Defence of #336 cause congress is scared to go against the FAA. That's just in case some thing does happen some time and some one does get killed.If the AMA had just stayed in Negotiations with the FAA none of this crap would be appening. The FAA had all the intentions to go after only the Drone flyers that were endangering Maned airlines I/E Air Liners on T.O. and Landing. U judt don't screw with the IRS or the FAA.
Just think about it for a minute ,,, The FAA did the LEAST they could have with Registration og Pilots, Keep messing around and *****ing about a simple registration and it WILL get much worse. 99% of IRS and FAA personnel think they are GOD and they can prove it too. Believe me U are Guilty till U can prove your Innocent.
Sick'em, HD on the prowl

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-28-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I'am not mistaken, Titanium Dude did this in Quebec, Canada. As far reaching as our FAA wants to be, they still aren't in charge of the national air space in Canada ( and our Canadian friends and neighbors are glad of that). Ditto for AMA rules. So all references to FAA and AMA don't apply. That still doesn't change the fact that the OP selected a less that ideal spot to fly his drone, not overly dangerous as the park was almost empty but not wise due to the lack of open space. Perhaps he will learn a little from this. PERHAPS !!! OK, back to having fun with this guy .