Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

insulating

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

insulating

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 PM
MARK JR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insulating

Do you have to insulate airplane receiver and battery? thanks
Old 08-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it is recommended, wrap the battery with a thin foam (1/4") is usually enough, the receiver is the main thing that needs to be wrapped in foam, which insulates it from the vibration of the engine, be it nitro or most importantly gas. Spongy foam is negligible in weight and will provide the proper amount of vibration protection both the battery & receiver need. If you have room for the little box that Great Planes has, it is really great. Part Number GPMM1010, available from Hobby Shop or Tower Hobbies.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 08-21-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM
jetmech05

I disagree at least with 2.4. I wrapped my receivers when I was using 72 MHz.
what I do with 2.4 is cut four pieces of foam, 1 each for the corners and a tye wrap to secure the receiver. Keeps things cool.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jetmech is absolutely correct and 2.4 receivers should never be fully wrapped. They definatly do not like the heat this caused lots of problems when the fellows first stated cocooning them in foam like the old 72 stuff and this caused many failures.

On everything I do on up to jet turbine is to simply use Velcro This also provides plenty of vibration isolation. The hooks just ca'd to back of the receiver and the loops ca'd to the airplane. Don't depend on just the stickem on the Velcro.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-21-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:35 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Jetmech is absolutely correct and 2.4 receivers should never be fully wrapped. They definatly do not like the heat this caused lots of problems when the fellows first stated cocooning them in foam like the old 72 stuff and this caused many failures.

On everything I do on up to jet turbine is to simply use Velcro This also provides plenty of vibration isolation. The hooks just ca'd to back of the receiver and the loops ca'd to the airplane. Don't depend on just the stickem on the Velcro.

John
The above is absolutely correct, but just be safe I have been using a sticky 3M tape ware you peal off the film from the up side stick your parts together and to date I have not had one come apart

Just my 2 pennies worth

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 AM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

I must admit I used to wrap my 72 MHz rx's and have never wrapped the 2.4's. I didn't know heat had such an impact on the 2.4's, the reason I never wrapped them is because they are so tiny I've always just stuck some double sided foam tape on them and place them wherever is convenient in the model. Never had any issues doing it this way.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Bill Diedrich

John
Sorry I am still using a lot of the 72 stuff, haven't converted to 2.4 as of yet, glad to know they can't be wrapped....
Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
JohnBuckner

No problem Bill It came as a bit of shock to me also when I suffered several early brown outs with my first 2.4 stuff XPS and was still wrapping. Undressing the Rx's and going naked with Velcro eliminated my early problems.

You know maybe its a bit subjective but I think as a by product of going naked it seems the receivers survivability in a crash has been improved also or perhaps maybe the 2.4 unit itself is more durable without the ceramic crystal that was such a common failure point in the old receivers?

John
Old 08-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John, I agree with everything except you going to the flying field naked!

Scott
Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 PM
JohnBuckner

Oh my, that would sure clear the place out in a hurry!

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-23-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 AM
Bill Diedrich

John I keep forgetting that these new guys coming into the hobby are immediately exposed to 2.4, I've been at this hobby since I was 6 yrs of age flying control line, and my first radio at 12. So I'm one of those old dogs (69) that don't respond to new tricks too quickly, like one of my "Old" flying friends says.......if it ain't broke don't fix it, he's in his 80's and still flies the old open gimbal Futaba's.

But on the flip side, I guess this old dog is about ready to take the plunge, one of my flying friends has a 2.4 Futaba 7 channel that is excess to his needs and has quoted me a decent price on it, so I'll probably pick it up from him soon.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 08-23-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 AM
JohnBuckner

Hey Bill if that radio you are considering from you friend is the 2.4 version of the 7C I am sure you will find it a rock sol;id unit and love the many more features than you are used to and yes even reliability.

For years now the most recommended systems around here for new folks as well as those making the change over to 2.4 was the Futaba 7c or Hitecs Eclipse 7 actually both have now been replaced by newer models but both are still wonderful choices.

While not my first RC radio, that started with homemade equipment in the late fifties, here is my treasured old Orbit 6 purchased in 1970 that became illegal in 1991. Now thanks to 2.4 the old RF section has been bypassed and I can use my old sticks agine on this airplane a period correct Aristo Cat.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Orbit 2.4  17.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2178001   Click image for larger version

Name:	AristoCat 6 (7) (Medium).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2178003  
Old 08-26-2016, 04:39 AM
Johnnysplits

Yes you never wrap a 2.4g Rx. Small piece of foam underneath, hold it down with a velcro strap. Or, you can use 3M Scotch all weather fastners. They work great. Man you guys still running ancient radio equipment lol.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
, Man you guys still running ancient radio equipment lol.

Johnny There is also a place for nostalgia in the hobby. Take a close look at that old Orbit radio in the picture above and note the Hitec 2.4 module mounted on the top right. That 1970 radio was illegal to use since 1991 until the complete RF section was bypassed and now uses 2.4 legally.

john
Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 AM
Johnnysplits

There is also a place for nostalgia in the hobby
I agree, but when it comes to radio equipment, that old stuff should be sitting on a shelf. I have a brand new, 1991 AMA certified Futaba conquest FP-T4NBF radio that I would never use today. New technology can't get produced fast enough for me. The advent of life and lipo batteries for instance. Omg they are the best thing to ever come about! Why anyone would use anything else baffles me. Same with 2.4g radio systems. And I just recently read of a radio that uses hall effect sensors on the gimbals, not pots. That's awesome!!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
I agree, but when it comes to radio equipment, that old stuff should be sitting on a shelf.
Well if you cannot understand why one sometimes may like to enjoy a quite flight with their old sticks (now made legal with 2.4) much in the same manner that Jay Leno would like a nice ride around the block with his Stanly Steamer, Then I certainly am not about to try to explain it however nostalgia has a viable place in our beloved hobby/sport.

Now concerning up to date heck yes I currently own and operate Three Prism7C's, Three Eclipse 7's, three Aurora 9's and two Futaba 14SG's All of which are 2.4. Two of these are specifically modified for use in controlline flying for throttle and other functions.. Oh boy I can hear it already.

Currently beside my my glow and gas stuff I am happily enjoying Three turbine aircraft one of which is a controlline turbine. So make no mistake I do enjoy high tech stuff . Am particularly thrilled with the new cordless buddy systems as are my students. So just remember someday someone may ridicule you for enjoying something vintage, and then you will understand.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nano at red lake.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	2178327  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Bill Diedrich

Hey if it's still legal and works perfectly, our club allows it as many of us "Old Farts", don't
own anything else. I'll continue to use my 72 FM equipment as long as it still works, it isn't
worth selling so "you use what ya got".

Bill D.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Johnnysplits

Bill, do you still use black and white tv's and 8 track tape players too?? LOL all kidding aside, I'm just one who's all for new technology...regardless of how good the old stuff might have been. Most likely got that from my dad. He's 78 and changes out tv's, cameras, computers, cars, electronics on his boats, etc every few years to stay up on the latest new technology. So if I see someone with a Tx that has a giant antenna sticking out of it, I'm gonna laugh. Sorry The only things in life that are old and still cool are cars, motorcycles, and aircraft.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:24 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HMM I have always wrapped my RX's. Even my 2.4 stuff. Never had a heat issue. I fly Hitec products.

Ken
Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Stick 40

I don't think it matters if we are dealing with old or new, what matters is we have each other to share experiences and help each other with what we have to deal with old / new stuff that comes into our lives.

we fly planes and want to do the best we can do with what we have to deal with, and I know I would have a great deal more problems without all of you.

thanks to all.

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 09-19-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: corection