Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Brand new nitro engine wont turn on

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Brand new nitro engine wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:46 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

umm... ok. If the guy had problems just starting the engine... it stands to reason he wouldn't have a clue how to check or change a bearing(read how "bearing" is spelled).

Also... note the title... "Brand new engine....."... It stands to reason as well a brand new engine wouldn't have a bad bearing... If it did, that would be the last component I would suspect. A bearing has to be extremely bad before the engine won't start...

Come on... the guy (where-ever he went) is a new user of a new engine.... what would most likely be the problem?... and someone says "bearing".... ha.... that's comical.... and again bearing is spelled B E A R I N G.

Things that make me go "hmmm...." Yes... the thread is dead. I just hope the guy is ok.

Last edited by DGrant; 06-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

New engines can be a ROYAL PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If one won't start, it's either too rich, too lean or the plug. If it was spun over backward, I'd be pulling the plug and checking it first. Next, I'd be finding ON SITE HELP, meaning someone that can actually see what's going on and be able to help rectify the issues.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the original poster will chime back in here and let us know if and how he solved his problem. Would be nice if he would.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:59 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pal,If you feel offended with my spelling of the word"BEARING" that you have to post it over this sight in CAPS. saying " IT IS SPELLED B E A R I N G ! Maybe with the intent that I'm some kind of IDIOT, Maybe with the intent to insult me, well it just tells me just what kind of person you are and that you must know everything about everything. Maybe you felt good when you posted your remark,But you should think before you post.I'm 63,and I know more about life than you can imagine than spelling!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

63? I'm 64
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 PM
DGrant

You're right. My bad. Let it go, it's not worth it man. I know something about life myself.

I also know the original poster hasn't been back.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
It sounds like we may have a misunderstanding, Phantom. It's common practice for people to install new bearings when the old ones go bad. I didn't mean people shouldn't do that. I meant that removing a bearing can damage that bearing, and so once one is removed it should be thrown away and a new one installed. The design of ball bearings makes then strong against side loads, but very weak against shearing loads. I suppose if one uses the method of heating the crankcase and letting the bearing fall out there wouldn't be a problem, but even then I don't see the point in putting one back in that was varnished up. Chances are pretty good that there will be some wear in the races anyway even in the bearing spins freely, so why not spend the $8.99 for a new one and be sure it's right?

Hey Jester I see you are from Ft. Worth, so are you a member of the Thunderbirds, Greater Southwest Aeromodelers or Golden Triangle?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a member at Thunderbirds. I mostly fly pattern, but will miss the SPA event this weekend. How about you?

As for the conversation above, I am going to simply point out that I have been using the internet since 1994, back when it was text only. From that day until now, it has been generally agreed that flaming someone for bad spelling is the cheapest shot you can take. It says more bad things about the flamer than the flamee. Only slightly less base is complaining about being flamed for spelling as if it's your right to type poorly. So, as required by the RCU community standards, let's try to keep the conversation civil and helpful and reserve comments about people's writing abilities for the posts that are basically unreadable. And even then, try to be helpful rather than put others down. This forum can be an amazing resource for modelers and RC pilots at every skill level, but only if people write with some basic courtesy and decent human behavior.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Thanks Jester for your understanding, I was ready to unsubscribe from this site all together until I read your post.. I'm here to offer what I know with the experiance that I have. And to learn from those with more experiance than me. Your right it is a good place to chat and so far I met some really nice people. Happy to be aboard.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:09 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Hi Tom. I'm Robert,My nic is---Lucky. Nice to meet you, I'm just getting back into the hobby! I started back in 88 and got really good,but then I had to leave it from 2000. I hope I still have it. Maybe we can chat sometime. Hope to be friends.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

As for the conversation above, I am going to simply point out that I have been using the internet since 1994, back when it was text only. From that day until now, it has been generally agreed that flaming someone for bad spelling is the cheapest shot you can take. It says more bad things about the flamer than the flamee. Only slightly less base is complaining about being flamed for spelling as if it's your right to type poorly. So, as required by the RCU community standards, let's try to keep the conversation civil and helpful and reserve comments about people's writing abilities for the posts that are basically unreadable. And even then, try to be helpful rather than put others down. This forum can be an amazing resource for modelers and RC pilots at every skill level, but only if people write with some basic courtesy and decent human behavior.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I've had my fair share of "run ins" with some people in both this and another forum I have memberships in. There are times when people can forget the real purpose of R/C U, International Waters, Jim's Boat Dock and all the rest. A thread can bring out the good and bad in people from something as simple as a wrong word used or, as mentioned above, spelling errors. I told someone recently to feel free to post in a thread if he had a "relevant" thought after he said he didn't feel his thoughts were up to the standards of the "select few". Now, the word "relevant" can be something that is very dangerous since what is relevant to one is totally irrelevant to another. This is where we see things blow up is when the thoughts of one are deemed "unworthy" by someone else. It's all too easy to feel "safe" when "hiding behind the keyboard" when dealing with others. It becomes a totally different matter when you run into those you have issues with face to face, as happened to me in Madison Indiana six years ago. Two of the people I had issues with found out that anyone can show up at any event and that the keyboard won't always protect you. Shortly after running into me, the two people just vanished from both forums I have memberships in. I figure they are the one's that lost out since they no longer get to claim the benefits of being involved in the forums.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wonder if he ever got it running?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:23 PM
jester_s1

I hope he did!

On the manners topic, I've had my moments of getting too big for my britches at the keyboard too, so I don't hold a cranky moment against anyone. It's generally good practice though not to type anything online that you wouldn't say in person among people you can speak freely to but also will have to deal with later.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a member at Thunderbirds. I mostly fly pattern, but will miss the SPA event this weekend. How about you?

I'm a member of FOLD, Falcons of Lake Dallas. I occasionally visit my other flying buddies who are members of other clubs and have flown at North Texas Aeromodelers/Denton, 114th RC Aero Squadron/Grapevine, NDRCC/Aubrey and RRCC. We are not that far off from the Denton Swap Meet... and I know Weatherford has a large one also.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 AM
jester_s1

I try to make both swap meets every year. The Weatherford one hasn't been so great in the last couple of years. There are way too many guys trying to get 80% of retail for their used planes and old NIB ARF's. But there are a few good deals to be had.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

Hi guys really really sorry I haven't replied been really busy but I got the plane started by buying the better glow plug ignitor. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for letting us know about the positive outcome.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 AM
DGrant

Originally Posted by xXsnipedoggyXx
Hi guys really really sorry I haven't replied been really busy but I got the plane started by buying the better glow plug ignitor. Thanks for all the help
Yes, thanks for the update. Good job.