Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Returning to RC

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Returning to RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 AM
rmatt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Returning to RC

Hi.Thinking about returning to rc. Have not flown since 1978. Flew for about ten years. Looking at the equipment today is mind boggling . All I ever flew was Kraft radios on the 72 bands. Is there any resources to get up to speed on the latest technology. Another problem is that most fliers now fly mode 2. I learned and flew mode one. I need to continue on mode one as I would always revert to what I knew. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Many of the sets sold as mode 2 can be converted to mode 1 but not all The Spektrum DX 6 which is a good starter TX RX combo is one that can.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The 6 channel computer radio is pretty much the standard beginner unit these days. You can fly it as straight control like you did with your Kraft, or you can explore its features. The programming is easy to learn though, and really does make the planes fly better.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I recommend that you just change to mode 2. You have little muscle memory left from 49 years ago. I have friends that never left the hobby (from escapement days) and they all switched to mode 2 more then 40 years ago.

It makes more sense and equipment available.

IMHO

You have found the resource you need already... here. There are other forums as well.

Welcome back.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM
j.duncker

Muscle memory is remarkably persistent, can you still ride a bike? .

Anyway mode 1 is demonstrably better than mode 2 if you want to fly smooth maneuvers can all the leading F3A pilots who use Mode 1, including World Champion Quique
Somenzini. be wrong.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with Mode 1. I also stopped flying RC around 1980. Started back up about 10 years ago. I'm glad I stuck with Mode 1. I felt like I was flying as well as I was in 1980. The new radios are fantastic. The radios can be bought set up on Mode 1 or they can be easily converted to Mode 1. I fly a Futuba 18sz now. If I would of had this radio back in the 70's I may have won a few pattern contest.
Ralph White
Neoga, IL
Old 07-12-2017, 02:47 PM
kmeyers

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Anyway mode 1 is demonstrably better than mode 2 if you want to fly smooth maneuvers can all the leading F3A pilots who use Mode 1, including World Champion Quique
Somenzini. be wrong.
Yes.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM
kmeyers

Originally Posted by Ralph White
Stick with Mode 1. I also stopped flying RC around 1980. Started back up about 10 years ago. I'm glad I stuck with Mode 1. I felt like I was flying as well as I was in 1980. The new radios are fantastic. The radios can be bought set up on Mode 1 or they can be easily converted to Mode 1. I fly a Futuba 18sz now. If I would of had this radio back in the 70's I may have won a few pattern contest.
Ralph White
Neoga, IL
I have a friend that is very fond of the saying:

"The older I get, the better I was"
Old 07-12-2017, 02:56 PM
kmeyers

The average helper at any given field at any given time will be a mode 2 pilot. They will be much less of a resource if you continue in mode 1.

Also all the used and much new PNP stuff will be mode 2.

IMHO
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 AM
jester_s1

Planes don't have modes attached to them. Radios are set up as Mode 1, 2, or whatever. If he buys a bind and fly plane and has his radio set up as Mode 1, it will work with Mode 1 control.
Since nearly every radio on the market is designed to be sold all over the world, and since most European pilots fly mode 1 (explaining why mode 1 dominates F3A btw), nearly any radio you consider buying can be converted with just a little bit of screwdriver work. This is really a non-issue.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM
kmeyers

At the field when the cry "a little help here" is shouted, mode 1 is a disadvantage by number of helpers available.

At the field I fly, mode 1 pilots are expected to be in need of no help or to have someone prearranged.
130 regulars 1 mode 1 pilot.

It is to me a valid point to mention to a post in the beginner forum.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rmatt indeed since I believe you are in the US since the reference of using kraft systems in the past now is the perfect time for you to make the transition from such a long layoff. Yes I feel what kmeyers is saying is quite correct and it certainly would be wise in this country to make the transition, for the reasons he spelled it out. Not all system are so readily converted and some have to be returned for changeover.

While its true in this country some competitive venues tend to use mode one while many more types of venues do not. The fact is the vast majority in this country almost all use mode 2 and being compatible is a huge asset to you in not only getting help but also in buying/selling used equipment.

I have been steadily active in RC since 1959 and used most types of systems each requiring different technique and re learning each and every time, Single channel tone, single channel compound, reeds, single channel galloping ghost, single stick proportional, proportional mode 1 and finally proportional mode 2. All of those steps were for me a distinct improvement after a relatively short learning period. I made the final change from mode 1 to mode 2 about 1994 and never looked back.

The argument that mode 1 is better/smoother is endless as well as it is pointless for most here in the US since that debate was lost long ago to mode 2.

John
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
rmatt

Thanks to all for the replies. Anyone the drove a vehicle with a manual transmission no matter how long ago can relate to this. I am now going to put the clutch where the gas pedal is and the gas where the clutch was. Who is comfortable driving like that especially when a panic situation arises. The mind reverts back to what it knew.
I have been reading about the modern radios and most of them can have the mode changed. Some with effort and some without.
What do you fellows think about the Spektrum line of radios. Thinking hard on the DX8 or DX9.
Thanks again for the suggestions
Old 07-14-2017, 03:02 PM
AA5BY

We only have one mode I pilot left at our field, but I've often wished I'd not taken the advice to do mode II. I got into RC in '74 when many pilots flew mode 1 and believe that they had better control because of avoidance of coupled control. When my friends had simple airplanes to fly, I'd fly their mode i and had little problems with them. Some of those mode 1 pilots could also fly mode II when helping others. None of those mode 1 fliers converted to mode II.

At any rate, welcome back to RC... Enjoy. I was out 17yrs and returned to great equipment and many old friendships and now am having great fun with a great retirement pastime.. Hope you do too.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:03 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rmatt, Before you buy anything, join AMA, go to your local AMA club, and get someone to buddy box you on a mode 2 trainer and see how you do and feel. Then decide if you want to stay with mode 1 or relearn on mode 2. Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 PM
j.duncker

Remember the buddy box can be mode 1 with the master mode 2.

I have done this with a pair of Spektrum 6 units.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:46 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting, I didn't know that could be done. That would allow both modes to be tried for evaluation by the OP. OMHO the reasons stated for going with mode 2 are valid but it's up to rmatt. Like others, I only know 1 flyer who still flys mode 1, why be unable to share your planes and also be unable to fly your friend's planes.

Last edited by 52larry52; 07-15-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
jester_s1

"What do you think of the Spektrum line..."
Now that's a real can of worms. Rather than offer an opinion here, I'll refer you to the search tool. Take your pick of radio brands and do a search for them. Add in terms like "Spektrum problem" or "Futaba lockout" or "Hitec loss of control." Obviously, people don't generally make threads about their radios when everything is working fine, so trouble threads will give you a more negative view of a brand than the hobby as a whole has seen. But they do give you a feel for what the recurring issues are and how often they happen.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 AM
rmatt

Default Return

Originally Posted by 52larry52
rmatt, Before you buy anything, join AMA, go to your local AMA club, and get someone to buddy box you on a mode 2 trainer and see how you do and feel. Then decide if you want to stay with mode 1 or relearn on mode 2. Enjoy!
First thing I did was join AMA
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM
boner321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Many of the sets sold as mode 2 can be converted to mode 1 but not all The Spektrum DX 6 which is a good starter TX RX combo is one that can.

https://youtu.be/Zt1WH5HaIRc
Got so bored quickly. Someone needed to edit that. I mean did they have to show the whole taking it out of the box dance????? I gave up after 2 minutes!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 AM
rmatt

Default Radios

I did a fair amount of research on the major radio brands. Every brand has it's followers and dissenters.One just has to read the info, sort it out in your own mind and make the leap. That being said . right or wrong I ordered a Spektrum DX8.Seems easy enough to convert to Mode 1. As far as all the features, they are going to be new to me anyway. So that makes no difference. The learning curve is going to be the same regardless of brand.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 AM
AA5BY

You are on your way.... good deal.

I also came back into RC to find that radios had embraced micro processors and memory. The effort spent figuring it all out added to the fun (most of the time). It will certainly add pastime and no doubt getting back into the air will be enjoyable and... if there are still some of the old friends involved... you will find renewing those friendships very gratifying, plus the making of new ones. RC'ers are a great bunch... have fun.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 AM
boner321

In layman's terms please explain the difference from mode 1 & 2. THX
Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 AM
AA5BY

Mode I flight controls has the throttle on the right stick and the elevator on the left.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 AM
boner321

Originally Posted by AA5BY
Mode I flight controls has the throttle on the right stick and the elevator on the left.
Thank you. Also, what's a brown out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.