Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting into the hobby.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting into the hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Darkridder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into the hobby.

Hello everyone!

a few months back i went to Oshkosh eaa airventure, what a blast that was! I now have an itch to fly but getting my private pilot license is way out of reach right now so I've decide to take up RC flying!!

ive read a few articles on how to start and pros cons of battery vs nitro, nothing to in depth of. I do travel a lot so i have time to practice on a simulator. I'm curious though how are the flight simulators on IOS. Can i get by using a flight sim on my iPad, are these sims not very good? Anyone have any experience with these? Should i just get a laptop and a real flight simulator to practice on? I'm not sure exactly how to start i suppose. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the hobby! You will find a lot of experience and good advice here. Sorry I can`t advise you on flight simulators since I`ve never used them. Might I suggest for your first plane, though, a light weight foam electric powered trainer. An RTF package will get you up and flying in no time for not a lot of dough.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I would suggest getting the Phoenix Flight Simulator and picking up an inexpensive laptop to run it on. The Phoenix has most of the planes Horizon Hobby sells especially the beginner planes like the Apprentice.
Also any/all updates for the simulator are free.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

A flight simulator on a phone, or tablet would likely have way too limited a vision to be more than a game. A lot of our flaying requires peripheral vision to see that airplane headed towards us or where the runway is as we circle for a landing. Cheap laptops can be found - I suggest you get one.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, I'm going to throw a wrench into this.
1) A sim will help you IF you are actually working on something and not just flying around. If you have a club in the area, I'd see if they have an instructor that can work with you at the field with your plane. Have the instructor give you something to practice on as well so that your time on the sim is actually going to do some good.
2) Buy yourself a trainer kit and build it when you are home. You can do this while learning to fly with the foamy and, when the kit build is done, switch over and fly it. This will help you learn to build more advanced and larger planes later and make it so you won't have to rely on the assembly line ARFs and RTF planes that are becoming so prominent at the flying fields. There's also the "EGO" factor. It's nice to be able to tell others, when asked, "YES, I BUILT IT MYSELF"
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Darkridder

Default Thanks guys.

thanks for the information everyone! I'll get a foam airplane to fly when I'm home and get a laptop and sim for the road. I do like the idea of actually building my own later down the road.. a p51 would be awesome!!
Old 10-19-2017, 01:59 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkridder
thanks for the information everyone! I'll get a foam airplane to fly when I'm home and get a laptop and sim for the road. I do like the idea of actually building my own later down the road.. a p51 would be awesome!!
I would advise the P51 to be MUCH later down the road! Maybe for your 4th plane. Practice with the foamie, then your kit built trainer (a Great Planes PT-40 would be a very good trainer). Then when you are very proficient with the trainer, learn to fly a low wing trainer. A T-6 would be good. When you are proficient with that, THEN it's time for the Mustang. Except for the foamie, this is the progression the military uses.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:34 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

OH Oshkosh. I used to fly there each year. Camp in the North 40 next to runway 9/27. I would be at my campsite and just watch airplanes come and go. Really interesting. Last visit 2003. Then I changed to Sun And Fun in Florida.

There are a few iPad apps that I use from time to time. My situation was different as I was a returning RC pilot. I just needed some orientation training and the apps worked. For iPad use it is best to be a thumb flier. Doesn't work good for finger fliers. I think the iPad apps will help some. Just give them a try. But best find an instructor and follow his advice.

I don't have a simulator setup so no help there.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
born2build

I think Hydro Junkie has the right idea. In fact, I know he does. Model aviation was never intended to be a "grab-n-go" kind of thing, although the industry is doing their level best to make it so. Electric power has certainly come of age, but it gets decidedly expensive as you go up in size. I've flown the Apprentice for other people and it works well. There is one major drawback, though. The "Safe Flight" feature can (and does) become a crutch, a hindrance when it becomes time to turn it off, rather like kicking a cane out from under someone with a bad limp. The best advice I can give is to find an instructor and accumulate as much stick time as you can. You are, after all, learning how to pilot an airplane. The PT 40 (with ailerons) is an excellent choice for your first build. It is, after all, what it was designed for.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by born2build
I think Hydro Junkie has the right idea. In fact, I know he does. Model aviation was never intended to be a "grab-n-go" kind of thing, although the industry is doing their level best to make it so. Electric power has certainly come of age, but it gets decidedly expensive as you go up in size. I've flown the Apprentice for other people and it works well. There is one major drawback, though. The "Safe Flight" feature can (and does) become a crutch, a hindrance when it becomes time to turn it off, rather like kicking a cane out from under someone with a bad limp. The best advice I can give is to find an instructor and accumulate as much stick time as you can. You are, after all, learning how to pilot an airplane. The PT 40 (with ailerons) is an excellent choice for your first build. It is, after all, what it was designed for.
Glad you approve. You will notice that I didn't recommend a kit to build or power type. I figure personal taste would dictate which plane and what kind of power the OP would prefer. I've heard good things about the PT-40 and the Kadets, heck, I even have a pair of Kadet Jrs under construction from plans.
I was just browsing through Tower Hobbies website and found they carry:
PT series of trainers
Eagle 2
Kadet series of trainers

Any of the above would be a good first plane to build, if you want to build something while learning with the foamy
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
flyboy2610

For the PT40, I would recommend building the lower dihedral sport wing. When I had mine, I built the high dihedral trainer wing and it was very stable. In fact, it was almost too stable. There were times when I found myself struggling just to get it to go where I wanted it to.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:57 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
For the PT40, I would recommend building the lower dihedral sport wing. When I had mine, I built the high dihedral trainer wing and it was very stable. In fact, it was almost too stable. There were times when I found myself struggling just to get it to go where I wanted it to.
Absolutely! If you'll notice I included "with ailerons" In parentheses. I never understood why experienced modelers would recommend a 3-channel trainer. All that dihedral can make them a real handful in a crosswind, especially during take-offs and landings. Plus, a trainer with ailerons has a much wider envelope for learning basic aerobatics later on. The only problem with the PT-40 is that the kit does not include the materials with which to build the ailerons. Although the instructions do show a materials list as well as how to make them. Eh, youse pays your money and youse picks your poison!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 AM
flyboy2610

When I built mine, I built it with ailerons and the kit had the materials. That was in the late 90's, though. If you build the low dihedral sport wing you will need to cut your own wing joiners and dihedral braces. Those are not included for the low wing.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:51 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
When I built mine, I built it with ailerons and the kit had the materials. That was in the late 90's, though. If you build the low dihedral sport wing you will need to cut your own wing joiners and dihedral braces. Those are not included for the low wing.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I got a work buddy started with a PT 60 (4-channel). He did all the building. Put an O.S. .61FX in the nose. Man, was that ever a solid combination! Bigger really does fly better. Too bad he couldn't stop drinking long enough to show up at the field. Too hung over, I guess. He never did solo the darned thing. Pity.
----------------------
You never really finish building a model airplane. You just stop working on it!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Darkridder

With the advances of electric motors are engines still preferred? How long can you run an engine before overheating issues or a rebuild is required?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

It really depends on the person's preferences and taste. Do you want to take a generator, chargers and several battery packs to the field or just a can of fuel and a starter box? Some won't want to deal with a nitro motor since you can't just set the needle and forget it like you can on a gas engine. As far as overheating, it's not something you need to worry about on a trainer. As long as the cylinder is in the airflow, it will never overheat. That said, an engine does require rebuilding after so much run time as bearing/bushings do wear and pistons and sleeves do lose their tight fit over time. How you take care of an engine will directly affect it's life between rebuilds. Obviously, if you crash an engine, it would need to be checked out before running it again as cranks do bend and can break. Then again, an electric motor's shaft can bend just as easily as that on a nitro motor.
Something else to think about is the noise factor. If you plan to fly at a local ball field, for example, people that live close by might not appreciate the noise of a nitro motor while an electric powered plane might not even be noticed
Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Glow engines last a long time. A friend that flies a lot more than I do (50 gallons of glow fuel a year) says that his OS engine needs bearings every year. So that's probably 300 flights for him. As for losing compression due to the sleeve loosening up, it takes a really long time for that to happen assuming you keep the engine tuned correctly.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

50 gallons in a year is some serious flying. In my primary hobby, facing boats, I don't know of anyone that burns more than 20 gallons. That said, due to the higher loads and RPM we run at, many of the guys rebuild their engines every winter. That might have something to do with the fact we run 50%+ nitro in the boat engines rather than the 5-20% used in planes and cars
Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 PM
born2build

I fly both glow and electric. Besides my usual flight box, which carries fuel, starter, a 12 volt motorcycle battery, transmitters (I have three), glow driver, extra props and glow plugs, paper towels and Windex, tools, and whatever else I can think of. The only thing extra I have to bring to fly electrics is a small camera bag I use to carry the batteries, which I charge up the day before. Lipos hold a charge for a really long time! No field charger or gas generator (?) required. But then, I don't fly anything electric larger than 450 size, which includes everything from my tiny UMX Beast, to my "normal" sized 56" clipped wing Taylorcraft.
Gas, glow, or electric, It all comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by born2build
No field charger or gas generator (?) required. But then, I don't fly anything electric larger than 450 size, which includes everything from my tiny UMX Beast, to my "normal" sized 56" clipped wing Taylorcraft.
Gas, glow, or electric, It all comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with.
When the guys race their electric 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplanes, they run 8S 6,000 mAH battery packs rated between 30 and 65C continuous discharge rates. They run the packs way down each heat and, due to pack costs, having enough to run up to 7 heats isn't an option. This would probably apply to any of the larger sized planes as well. Then again, they are only allowed to run NEU 1527 1.5Y 850KV, HET Typhoon 700-98 840KV and Turnigy SK3-3994 850KV motors matched with speed controllers rated for a minimum of 130 amps
Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
When the guys race their electric 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplanes, they run 8S 6,000 mAH battery packs rated between 30 and 65C continuous discharge rates. They run the packs way down each heat and, due to pack costs, having enough to run up to 7 heats isn't an option. This would probably apply to any of the larger sized planes as well. Then again, they are only allowed to run NEU 1527 1.5Y 850KV, HET Typhoon 700-98 840KV and Turnigy SK3-3994 850KV motors matched with speed controllers rated for a minimum of 130 amps
Well, I'm sure that's all very impressive but I don't think it has anything to do with this thread. I think we should try to encourage new people to join the hobby, rather than overwhelm them, don't you?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Just pointing out that electric planes have requirements as well as the nitro ones. Granted, I took it up to a level that most beginners aren't going to have to worry about but, at the same time, a 60 sized trainer is going to need bigger stuff than something that uses a 450 like your 56" Taylorcraft, don't you think?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:13 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Just pointing out that electric planes have requirements as well as the nitro ones. Granted, I took it up to a level that most beginners aren't going to have to worry about but, at the same time, a 60 sized trainer is going to need bigger stuff than something that uses a 450 like your 56" Taylorcraft, don't you think?
I really wish you'd quit doing that. Nobody is talking about a 60 size trainer! As a matter of fact, most of the electric trainers I've seen are, guess what, 450 size or smaller. The Apprentice is a good example of a very popular, and very successful trainer. And it uses, guess what, a 450 size motor. Anyway, it seems Darkridder has made his choice so, all of this is moot, except to say if any other beginners see this thread ( and they will) I hope they ignore your somewhat hyperbolic statements. This hobby doesn't have to be any more complicated than one wants it to be. Oh, and have fun with your boats! I wish you all the best.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

IMHO, if a person is making decisions based on price of things he's never going to really enjoy this hobby. Every one of us can afford anything; it's just a matter of how long it will take. I budget $100 a month for RC flying. That includes my AMA and club dues. So I can outfit one new glow plane a year plus pay for fuel and incidentals, maybe buy 2 or 3 used ones, or hold off for a couple of years and get a 50cc gasser. Yes, electric costs more initially but if that's the route a guy wants to go there's nothing to stop him from doing so.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Darkridder

I guess I'm just trying to make this more complicated then i have to. I love the sound of the engines running and doing flybys and the electrics i like the idea of not having to mess with fuel. I'm sure there are a few gas vs electric threads that i should read. Jester has a good point though that if i am looking to only save money I'll never fully enjoy the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.