Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Basics on 4 Cycle Gas Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Basics on 4 Cycle Gas Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM
jmartindale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basics on 4 Cycle Gas Engine

I'm a rookie in this hobby. Ran an OS Max 46 on my trainer last year and thinking about moving to a 4 stroke gas motor for my next kit build. Where can I go for all the basics of a gas motor, i.e. size as compared to nitro size, difficulty in mounting, starting, adjusting for optimum running, everything? I know nothing and need to learn from the very basics all the way up. Where can I go for that information? Thank you.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
You can use the search function of this site to find a lot on the subject as it has been discussed many times over.

Here are some 4-stroke gas engines that describe what applications they are suited for.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/storefr.../saito-engines

For a 40 size trainer or Cub-style plane the Saito FG-11 would be an engine to consider:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...%3A-bz-saieg11

Following the break-in process is very important as well as using high quality oil and gas. The adjustments and maintenance will be similar to a 4-stroke glow engine which is a bit more involved than 2-stroke glow or gas.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 stroke nitro and 4 stroke gasoline engines are two completely different things. You probably knew that already. One I like and the other not so much.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

First of all 4 stroke gasoline engine choices are not all that plentiful. 2 stroke gasoline engines have generally ruled the roost for many years because of the simplicity and available power to weight. That being said the four strokes have been making some very good inroads especially in the smaller displacements.

Most if not all four strokes you will find still have to use a gas/oil mix similar to a two stroke. In fact 16:1 or 20:1 which will distribute more oil deposits than a standard 2 stroke at 40 to as high as 100:1.

Any gasoline engine needs a fine and delicate hand adjusting carb settings. With gasoline the air fuel mixture has to be right on to work well at all throttle settings where nitro fueled engines have a much courser needle valve adjustment. Nitro has a much wider range air fuel wise that the engine will operate in.

Size of your chosen model will depict how many options you have for engine choice.

Not trying to talk you out of a gasoline four stroke by any means. Perhaps instead you might tell us your choice of model and size then some with experience might be able to suggest an appropriate power plant. Are there reasons why you are leaning towards a gasoline four stroke? There is lots of experience on the forum and lots of advice and help if you want or need it.

Dennis
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 AM
jmartindale

Thank you for the information and advice gentlemen. After reading your posts and some other research I've done, I've decided to stay with nitro engines until I get more experience and work with my club's members who fly the 4 strokes. I don't think I'm ready to move this fast with what little I know. I built a second plane this winter, a Sig Somethin Extra, and put an OS Max 46 on it. Hope to fly it later this summer. I just bought a Mustang P-51 kit and thought about the 4 stroke motor for it, but have changed my mind, goinggto try to find a good, used OS Max 61 to 91 for it. Thanks again you guys. This forum is a great place for good info and advice.

Jim
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jmartindale
Thank you for the information and advice gentlemen. After reading your posts and some other research I've done, I've decided to stay with nitro engines until I get more experience and work with my club's members who fly the 4 strokes. I don't think I'm ready to move this fast with what little I know. I built a second plane this winter, a Sig Somethin Extra, and put an OS Max 46 on it. Hope to fly it later this summer. I just bought a Mustang P-51 kit and thought about the 4 stroke motor for it, but have changed my mind, goinggto try to find a good, used OS Max 61 to 91 for it. Thanks again you guys. This forum is a great place for good info and advice.

Jim
Why not start with a nitro four stroke. Same fuel easy to tune and will get you used to the care and feeding of a four stroke. When you do make the switch to a gas four stroke the only difference will be the fuel and carb tuning.

Something like this https://www.osengines.com/engines-ai...900/index.html
Here is the manual compare it to what you know about the two strokes and see if its within your comfort zone. Click image for larger version

Name:	fs95v-manual.pdf
Views:	53
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2259570

Last edited by Propworn; 03-21-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 AM
jmartindale

Thanks. I'm going to look into this.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the appeal of a gas 4 stroks just to do something different, or are you looking for something specific performance wise? The thing with gassers is that they both run near the same RPM. Is not like the difference with glow fuel where the 2 stroke runs 14k and the 4 stroke tops out at 10k with a lot more torque. All you really get with a gas 4 stroke is better fuel economy, which isn't really that big a deal with gas. I'm a fan of the new gas 2 strokes, as they run very similar to a glow 4 stroke with the simplicity of a 2 stroke and the cheap fuel.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:45 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Please guys! It's glow engines ...not nitro.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:26 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
Please guys! It's glow engines ...not nitro.
Glo nito alky alcohol slimers everyone knows what your talking about its not rocket science.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:25 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I know but all (Many) newcomers say "Nitro engines instead of glow engines!...And I get tired of it...
Old 04-01-2018, 05:42 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Jaka hows it going? I know nothing about your native language however English is an extremely dynamic form of communication and is constantly changing and it 'is what it "currently" is.

Now actually I agree with you and have always referred to the bulk of my fleet as 'glow planes with glow engines' and I will continue to use those terms till I croak However times have changed and perhaps the term nitro, referring to the type of engine we mostly used started to be used far more often by the folks into RC cars. I think this slow change started in the late eighty and early nineties.

So you see my friend it matters not whether you or I may 'grow tired of it' it is what it is, if we want to continue to communicate in English.

John
Old 04-01-2018, 06:25 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we can all agree to not call a glow/nitro engine a gas engine. A term the car guys frequently (mis)use
Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
I know but all (Many) newcomers say "Nitro engines instead of glow engines!...And I get tired of it...
Get used to it or ignore it the more you cry about it the more someone will use it just to get a reaction. LOL
Old 05-06-2018, 05:27 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If your nitro engine is glowing, it's probably too lean!