Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

optokill ignition kill or kill for coil ignition

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

optokill ignition kill or kill for coil ignition

Old 05-12-2018, 04:03 PM
motorhead540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optokill ignition kill or kill for coil ignition

Hello I have a older plane with a G62 Zenoah that has a coil/magneto style ignition system .
it has a kill switch /toggle , but I would like to be able to shut down from the transmitter .
I have 3 new opto kill units but do not know how to wire them for this application or if they will even work with the coil/mag system
Old 05-13-2018, 03:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 263 Likes on 209 Posts

They are for EI motors, they won't work on that engine

42 Percent Products used to make something that would work with the Zenoah but I don't see it anymore.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 05-13-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:18 AM
ETpilot

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know a thing about the G62 engine. This is just a thought. Since you have a mechanical kill switch, a modification may be possible. Wire into the toggle switch circuit a micro switch. The micro switch can then be activated by a servo. Install the mod on a servo tray so all components are solidly attached.

The micro switch should be a normally open switch. This allows the ignition to function. The servo closes the switch which grounds the circuit shutting down the engine. This is all an assumption on my part as I think this is how the engine ignition would work.

A test trial on an an engine stand will let you know if this is a viable option. Keep safety in mind. All components MUST be properly installed and flawless in operation. Again just a thought.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the same thing with just a servo alone. Simply remove the toggle and insert a servo in its place. One end of the wire to the toggle gets soldered to an inverted "U"-shaped brass plate epoxied to the top of the servo case. The other wire gets soldered to a brass strip screwed to the servo arm. This strip is "L" shaped with the short end of the "L" curled under the servo arm and makes contact with the brass plate when the servo is thrown to the closed position. Secure this second wire along the servo arm to provide strain relief for the solder connection.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Just use an electronic RC switch. There will be no moving parts or mechanical connections to fail. It will be lighter too.

This is one example out of many. ServoCity may be able to point you to other options as well.

https://www.servocity.com/micro-pwm-switch