Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Receiver setup

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Receiver setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 05:50 AM
ddillingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver setup

Just bought a JR transmitter(XG6) with Corona R4DM receiver. What do I need to be able to plug in my four servo plugs and my battery?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some type of on/off switch with charge jack between the battery and the receiver and extension wires between the receiver and any servo that needs to be disconnected from the receiver on a regular basis (such as for disassembly for transport). The extension stays plugged into the receiver so as to not risk damaging the receiver pins.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Bipeflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiring the control system for an electric powered rc airplane
Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 AM
r ward

the switch isn't an absolute necessity and is sometimes a source of problems with battery drainage. when that problem arises, it can be harmful to your receiver because it never really shuts off despite the switch being off. i know of several guys in the past, that never put a switch on their planes for this reason. they simply plugged in the wires between battery and receiver to fly and unplugged them to charge the battery,....i cannot remember any of them ever having a problem with pin damage.
if you mount the receiver in the wing seat area (under the wing) and use an extension or two, and put that connection in the hatch area of your plane, it is easily accessable after you put the wing on your plane for the day at the field.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time you find your battery dead because you forgot to unplug it, you'll buy a switch along with the new battery. Should your battery be a lithium and you were lucky enough to have not started a fire with it..................

And any switch that does not turn off the system is a bad switch and should be replaced. But keep in mind, even a disconnected battery will slowly drain on the shelf. If your switch is one of the fancy ones with LED indicators and such, it may have an active circuit in it that can drain the battery. All be it slowly. Knowing what you need but also knowing what you have is important in this hobby.

Those who fly without a switch have several reasons for it. Main one is the weight and this holds true for only the lightest of models. Park flyers and smaller. Another reason would be having a switch just complicates the whole system too much for the owner to comprehend. Anything after that is simple laziness.

The simplest most basic radio set up is: Battery connects to switch. Other side of switch connects to the receiver. Servos plug into the other connections on the receiver.

Make sure on the battery/switch connection the red wires line up and the black do too. That is, red goes to red and black to black. On the receiver, mind your polarity. Each pin in each group of 3 should be identified as to pos or neg voltage with the center pin always being the servo signal lead. It's usually a small label on the receiver case that only the really young can see any more. Also make sure you know what voltage your receiver can handle. I'm not aware of any that can not handle at least 6 volts any more and some can go to 9 now. Maybe even more. Older systems I wouldn't go over 6 until I knew for sure what it can use. But the servos too can have different voltage capabilities. I say capabilities because everything pretty much will run on 6 volts. Unless it's really, really old stuff. And BTW, that 6 volts comes from either a NiCd or NMHi batteries. NOT Lithium! A 2S lithium will blow a system designed for 6 volts if it's not protected by a voltage regulator.

BTW, you can find your receiver manual on line here: Rx Manual You'll see the receiver can handle 8.5 volts. Obviously 2S lithium were considered in the design.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 AM
r ward

when the battery is unplugged there is no question whether the receiver is unpowered. batteries drain plugged in or un plugged, we all know that. switches can be forgotten about just as easily as plug connections. the guy that I knew the best, that never used a switch, was a TV repairman that had his own business and built all his own radio equipment and built my first radio,...do you think a switch in the circuit was too complicated for him, or was he just lazy, too ?.
I can't imagine someone smart enough to be involved with R/C , but too stupid to comprehend a simple inline switch.
as for simple,..... the simplest system does not include a switch,......above you said a switch might over-complicate a system,....remember?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:21 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by r ward
when the battery is unplugged there is no question whether the receiver is unpowered. batteries drain plugged in or un plugged, we all know that. switches can be forgotten about just as easily as plug connections. the guy that I knew the best, that never used a switch, was a TV repairman that had his own business and built all his own radio equipment and built my first radio,...do you think a switch in the circuit was too complicated for him, or was he just lazy, too ?.
I can't imagine someone smart enough to be involved with R/C , but too stupid to comprehend a simple inline switch.
as for simple,..... the simplest system does not include a switch,......above you said a switch might over-complicate a system,....remember?
20 years Air Force of installing, operating and maintainingSatellite systems in the UHF, C, X, and KU bands including VSAT and INMARSAT. UHF and Microwave Line of Sight systems. ILS, SSILS, TACAN, TVOR, and LORAN navigation systems. Experienced with transmitting frequencies as low as 100 KHz and as high as 23 GHz.

Additional 23 years as government contractor to the Intelligence Community installing, operating and maintaining Computer systems utilizing Novell 4.x, UNIX, DOS, Windows 3.x, 95 and NT, SUN Microsystems work stations and the SS1000 and 2000 servers, IBM PC's and compatibles and Macintosh PC's and peripherals. Performed hardware upgrades and repairs, Domain administration, Firewall/Network Security administration and Quality Assurance. Proprietary software test and evaluation.

Certified Novell CNE, Microsoft MCSE, Comp TA A+, Net+ and Security+.

Also built my first two RC radios. 6 Channel Blue Max systems.

BTW, when you have smoke coming out of your model, do you want to spend time removing the wing or popping whatever hatch you have to unplug a hot battery? Or would you rather hit a switch on the side of the fuselage?

Last edited by Appowner; 09-23-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:51 AM
r ward

well then,....... with all that qualification,..... you should know that switches are the weak link / source of trouble, in any electrical circuit.....shouldn't you.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by r ward
well then,....... with all that qualification,..... you should know that switches are the weak link / source of trouble, in any electrical circuit.....shouldn't you.
Actually the weakest link is the one responsible for the operation/maintenance of the equipment. The human!

Purchase and install quality and it lasts.
Take care of it and it lasts.
Buy cheap and don't whine when it fails unexpectedly.
Switches have parts that wear. So it's safe to assume they will need periodic replacement. But so do gimbals. And servo pots use to require regular cleaning and lubrication. And how many antennas have been broken and replaced?

I've never had a switch fail. But I have had servo connectors fail. And servos themselves fail. And even a battery or two. But never a switch.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 AM
r ward

retired Union Carpenter / woodworker all my adult working life.....own/owned just about every type and brand of woodworking tool there is at some point in my life. just about every one of them has it's switch replaced...some of them, more than once.. and it's not from misuse or poor handling...... some of my machinery and tools that are just about as old as I am and they all work as good as new. they don't get that way from abuse. all my tools are good, well known brands, .......Porter Cable, Milwaukee, older Black and Decker, Older Rockwell, etc.
what makes you say that the human is the weak link,.....forgetting to turn off a switch is not part of the circuit and it is just as easy to forget to flip a switch as it is to forget to unplug the battery.....I have used switches on my planes , too.