Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do I alter my trainer's wing angle?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do I alter my trainer's wing angle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I alter my trainer's wing angle?

My Xtra Easy 2 likes to climb, and I'm not kidding! Both my instructors have had to pretty much adjust the elevator trim all the way just to get decent level flight out of it. Is altering the wing angle the best way to go to get it half normal? I can think of 2 ways to do it. Prop one edge up with popcicle sticks or such, or else get out the moto-tool and carve away a bit of wing saddle space. My terminology here is probably bad, but you get the idea, shim or carve? And last but not least. If I do attempt such a modification, do I raise or lower the front of the wing?, and how much? Start with 1/4" and by the time I get it all seated right it will be 1/2" right? I took the baffle out of the muffler, and switched to a 2 blade prop on it's Evo .46 TPS. The extra power probably doesn't help, but it's fun to see it lift off in 15' even dragging though 2" of snow. Hmmm If I do this mod it won't lift off as quick, but it will be more fun to fly. No more taking the first 4 laps trying to get it to quit pretending it's the space shuttle.. - Joe
Old 01-03-2004, 02:47 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: How do I alter my trainer's wing angle?

rather than alter the incidence angle of the wing, just adjust the elevator so that there is some down elevator applied. In other words, disconnect the elevator clevis and turn it clockwise on the pushrod a few turns (to make it shorter).
Old 01-03-2004, 05:04 AM
FrankLoos

Joe,
I have the orginal Extra Easy. It too had the same problem. I was able to fix it by raising the trailing edge of the wing by adding aproximately 3/8" to the wing saddle. Use wing saddle tape)thin foam tape) to fill the gap along the edges of the wing saddle. The extra easy flys fine now without down trim on the elevator. Even in strong wind.

I hope this is of some help.

Frank
Old 01-03-2004, 05:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, much easier to raise the TE than lower the LE
Old 01-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with adjusting trim is that when you throttle back, the plane wants to dive. For an experienced pilot, this is an inconvenience he may not even notice, but for the beginning pilot, is can cause him a lot of extra work on final. This may also distract him from steering when he needs to line up with the runway.

My recommended solution is to add 2 popsicle sticks under the trailing edge of the wing. Your wing, even if the bottom looks level, is at a positive angle of incidence on a trainer. The chord line goes from the leading edge (the center of the curve) to the trailing edge. This will be at a positive angle compared to the flat bottom of the wing.

The way to check to see if you need a lower incidence by adding popsicle sticks or balsa, it to trim your plkane in flight, then look at the elevator after landing with the radio on. If it is trimmed down, you need the incidence lowered. You have to try and fly. Once you get the incidence set to where your elevator is fairly level, that is the correct amount. It turns out that 2 popsicle sticks gives the right amount of incidence change for most .40-sized trainers. You may need less for the .25 size and more for the .61 size.

After you find the incidence, you can fill in the gap under your wing with clear silicone. Glue the popsicle sticks or balsa in place, then spread silicone over the wing saddle. Lay Handi-Wrap over it, then lightly rubber band the wing back in place and let the silicone cure over night. In the morning you can remove the wing and trim the excess silicone off.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:50 AM
LearjetMech

Joe,
When you changed props what size did you go to? And also did you keep the flywheel on or take it off!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:26 PM
phread59

I agree, shim the rear of the wing up. I had the same problem with my Sig Kadett SR. Just shimmed the trailing edge up a little at a time untill the balloning ceased. i do not recommend using the elevator to trim out the problem. After a certain angle of deflection the elevator will stall and not produce any more lifting force. Best to keep the trim neutral and shim the wing.

Mark Shuman