Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which Radio?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Futab 6EXA: Inexpensive and has a few functions
24.00%
Futaba 6XAS: A bit more expensive.
36.00%
Hitec Eclipse 7: Most expensive and most channels and functions.
40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Which Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:05 PM
ZimboRaider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Radio?

Hi all,

Your probably thinking "Oh, not another newbie radio question[:@]" and I am really sorry but could you tell me which radio is your preference and why.

Thanks very much
Old 02-01-2004, 02:20 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Radio?

Of the 3, I like JR. Sorry, but can't help you on those listed.
Not trying to be rude here, I just couldn't resist. You will probably get lots of opinions. Hope you find the one you need.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:25 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

If you've found yourself jumping from one hobby or interest to the next, then simply get the least expensive 4, 5 or 6 ch. system. Once you want to expand, the cheap 4 ch. can become your buddy box to train family, friends or save it for a simple glider or electric. I voted for the Eclipse since I use one and if you'll stay in the hobby, this will fill your needs for years to come.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:21 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a Hitec laser 4 for my trainer and I plan to keep the trainer flying as long as possible. I picked up a Futaba 6xas used from a club member for $50.00. I've go an Ultra Stick 60 and a Goldberg Extra 300 on it. It is a good radio for the money but I already want a 9C for the Ultra Stick so I can combine the flaps with the Ailerons. If you are just starting a 4 channel is fine. Mine was only $119.00, you will spend more than that on flight packs for other models if you buy the 6 channel now. My instructor told me to spend my money on props and fuel first , there is time for other planes later.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:57 PM
modelcrasher

If your trying to save money I'd recommend the 6EXA. It has all the functions a beginner needs, wing mixing, duel rates, servo reverse, 6 model memory e.t.c. the more expensive radios are a waste of money if you just need basic radio functions.

Personally i think the 6EXA plenty of features for the beginner and is not much more expensive than a good 4ch radio and has the extra channels for flaps or landing gear as you get more experienced[8D]

p.s RVator you can combine flaps with ailrons on a 6EXA
Old 02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I wouldn't spend the extra on the Eclipse. If you're going to spend a lot for a computer radio, get something closer to 'top of the line'; like the Futaba 9C, or the JR 8103(?), OR the Hitec with the 'Spectra" (?) module so you can change the transmitter channels.

Otherwise, either get a basic 4 channel or a less expensive computer transmitter like the Futaba 6 series.
Dennis-
Old 02-01-2004, 05:13 PM
FHHuber
Banned

for a beginner... all you NEED is the basic 4 ch non-computer radio...

You'll spend 6 months learning to fly before you even want more functions. (maybe even... 2 years...)

The computer radio can teach you bad setup habits if its your first radio. And then... when you get to the field and plug it into a buddy box... none of the mixing or ATV or other fancy settings transfer to the buddy box... so it was a waste of time to set them up!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:19 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

I have to agree with modelcrasher a good 6 channel is all you need unless you are going to build some very sophisticated scale plane. I have 3 Futaba Super Seven transmitters. They do everything I ever thought of and more. I bought them on-line here on RCU a while back they where in expensive and will last for a long time.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Dusty1

I good rule of thumb when purchasing anything RC is to listen to what everyone at the field wishes they had, then go get that. You need to decide if you're going to be a major player in the RC game or just a water boy. Think Big-> Be Big -> Go Big!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:48 PM
wings

I have a 6exa, seems fine to me. No complaints here.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:14 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dusty1

I good rule of thumb when purchasing anything RC is to listen to what everyone at the field wishes they had, then go get that. You need to decide if you're going to be a major player in the RC game or just a water boy. Think Big-> Be Big -> Go Big!
and... go bankrupt

I WISH I had a Futaba 9 ch PCM computer radio... I can afford this OLD Super-7 that I got used.
(I "limped along smartly" with basic systems for a LONG time... they worked FINE. I test flew the Fokker with a basic 6 ch. TX. I had to have an extra channel for the smoke system to work.)

I WISH I had every Kit Flair has ever made (just one of each thanks.) ... I can afford to keep this GP ARF Fokker Dr1 flying.

I WISH I had a Triton battery cycler/charger. I have the Hobbico low end cycler. (and just got that a few months ago after 30 years of R/C)

Begin to get the point?'

You can WASTE a ton of money... or you can get what you NEED.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:32 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

JR. Great quality, easy to program, and excellent service. Why settle for something less?

Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
wings

I wish I would win the lottery and I could afford everything!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
ZimboRaider

Thanks all,
Just got back from school and was pleasantly suprised by all your replies. I suppose I should be a bit more specific. This will be my second radio. I have an old Futaba Brown Box 4 channel(non-computer) that I will use on my trainer but after that I want to get a computer radio. I love balsa but I think for my first few planes I will build a few inexpensive spads for two reasons. I am a little cut out on funds so if I crash something beyond repair its not so serious and I can still enjoy the hobby till I get a job(I am only 13-too young in NZ)

Oh, and I think I might get the 6EXA, possibly from Tower hobbies or somin because the hobby shop has them for $700
Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 09:46 PM
phread59

If price is the overriding factor then I would buy the EXA. If not then I would go for the Eclipse. They are a very good radio that will take you far down the road. And it is Futaba buddy box compatible.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-01-2004, 09:49 PM
wings

I hope that is a typo. $700 for 6exa? I paid about 1/4 that.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:50 PM
wings

I hope that is a typo. $700 for 6EXA, somethins wrong there.

Sorry for the double post. Everytime I post it say error. I keep thinking it didn't accept it. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 PM
ZimboRaider

Sorry to tell you wings but that ws no typo.

Although it was NZ Dollars that is a lot when I can get it for about 400 from Tower(nz dollars again) icluding postage, conversion and apparently about 20% import tax or something(I'll have to check on that)
Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 PM
wings

Dude, you are gettin ripped off.

Its that much terrifs and stuff?

Wow, I thought the dollar was weak right now. It would be cheaper to hire someone to buy it and fly it to you.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZR6**&P=7]6EXA 180 Bucks[/link]
Old 02-01-2004, 10:55 PM
ZimboRaider

I am probably getting ripped off Wings,

Heres the hobby shop website, www.acornmodels.co.nz I think they have it listed.

I did some sums and here are the resultsfrom Tower)

US $ NZ $
Futaba 6EXA 180 264.71
Postage Air 40.64 59.76
Total: 220.64 324.47
Old 02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
wings

I am not in your situation so I don't know if there is a better way. But there is no way I would pay that much.

Isn't Ebay international? Maybe you can find one on there. Hell, my wife sells on Ebay we could probably even work something out where I order it from Tower then sell it to you on Ebay, its bound to be cheaper than that.

Wings
Old 02-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Test`Pilot

eBay is definatly the place to get 95% of all your R/C equipment!
I got my Futaba 9 CAP for $350 US (BRAND NEW) when it is sold for $650 at the local hobby shop
saved on the taxes as well (opps, I don't think I should have said that)
I buy my airplanes there and if available my engines, receivers, servos, everything comes out much cheaper
just make sure you read all the information the seller is providing, as a full time seller myself, I know this is a problem
people bid, win the auction and then say "but I didn't read the whole page and didn't know..."

Good Luck
Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
nilo

I got the JR X378, 6 channels. Really easy to deal with and its receiver JR700 is very small.
I just bought another JR filght pack, JR700 receiver 6 channels + Battery 1100mAh + 5 servos JR537 + servos extenssion+ switch for $144.00 at http://www.hobbyhut.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Nilo
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 PM
iflynething

I have the EXA and have to say that this radio is great. Many functions for a second radio, which this is my second radio. But, please don't buy it for $400. I got mine at the LHS for $185.49. Hey, I'll sell ya mine for $190.....just got it 2 weeks ago..... Then if ya bought it I could get a 9C (this WILL be my third radio...I don't wanna have to keep goin up in radios...just want to get one and leave it at that......)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any Airtronics fans out there? I looked at the owners manuals online for both the Futaba and Airtronics entry level computer 6 channel radios, and personally think the A-T looks a lot easier to use. This is opinion based only on reading the manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.