Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Goldberg extreme 330 as 2nd Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Goldberg extreme 330 as 2nd Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg extreme 330 as 2nd Plane?

Hey everyone... got a nexstar as my first plane, and now i'm to the point where I need to find a second one! (need something to do while it's cold)
I saw all the posts on 4*'s and such... Acually was thinking about a Sig somthin' extra until i started reading about the extreme 330... It's cheaper (compared the the somthin' extra ARF) and the OS .46FX sounds like it would really be enough power for some crazy stuff in the extreme 330... (eventually crazy start out easy) I Was actually thinking of a Funtana for my 2nd plane, but read that a saito 72 or bigger would be preferable on this plane and I'm not looking to plop down more $$ for a new engine.
Anyhow the goldberg 330 seems really appealing, easy to fix, seems pretty durable compared to some of the more scale-like models. (I'd probably get stronger CF gear) And I could take all my stuff straight of my nexstar. With low rates would this be a good 2nd plane?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
compute42

Default RE: Goldberg extreme 330 as 2nd Plane?

hmm 47 views and no replies.... either I'm asking somthing really stupid, and lots of people are viewing it and getting a good laugh, or perhaps I should post this in the fun-fly thread...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a stupid question at all. I'd say the 330 on low rates would be a good choice as a second plane. If you want to save even more go for one of the inexpensive Tower Hobbies kits - like the Fun 51 or Uproar. They are easy builds.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are one of the most capable students and r/c pilots ever born, I would think you may be really pushing your luck to the outside edge of concievability.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:16 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me tell you something guy,
I have a plane very similar to this plane and it is a wild ride as are most of the profile planes. They are a blast to fly and are really aerobatic BUT, its not a gentle flyer at all and can be a pretty good balancing act to keep in the air until you get the feel for it if you are a novice. If I were you and had to have this plane I would only do it if I had an experienced pilot to help me out on the 1st several flights.

My honest to gosh opinion as a guy who has been where you are recently would be to get yourself a U CAN DO 3D .46 version and put your .46 on it for starters. The U CAN DOs are a very stable plane, you dont have to struggle to fly flat and level. But they will flat tear up the sky if you feel cocky.
Plus they takeoff and land like a trainer, I can slow mine down to nearly stop at touchdown without fear of tip stalling. As long as you have the nose level to slightly down with minimal flight speed you are gonna land safely. Conventional slow approach landings like a trainer are a breeze.
Taking off is a matter of easing into the throttle and steering down the runway and the plane will takeoff on its own.

Heres what I think you can eventaully do with it with your engine

Snap Rolls
Knife Edge
Elevators
Harriers
Lom Cevac
Blenders
Walls
Cutting it close with your engine, but definitely with an upgrade to a .72.
Hover/Torque Roll
Unlimited inverted capabilities
Waterfalls
Heart Attacks
Knife Edge Loops
Not to mention any other maneuver you can think of.
Plus its a pretty good starter plane for pattern as long as you dont try to go too fast while flying parallel to the ground and get into flutter.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Test`Pilot

GO FOR IT!!
set it on low rates and you'll do just fine.
I have the sometin' extra as a second plane and it is a great little flying machine, I am not a super capable pilot but i didn't feel like going the traditional way like every instructor recommended me to, I wanted something more exciting that looked good and felt good flying, I'm sure the 4* is a great plane but I wanted something else.
My wife gave me the somethin’ extra as a birthday present. I didn't even know if it will be a good plane for me or not, but I was the first one to land it, and it was easier to land and fly than my trainer.
Just start slow and with low rates.

I say GO FO IT!!
The extreme 330 looks like a great flyer!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:32 PM
compute42

Thanks for the replies... Seems like people are pretty split on using profiles as second planes... If it's gonna be squirly I'm not for that, I just guessed with the huge wings, and low wing loadings they would slow down real nice (a nice quality for a second plane), but if they are all over the place when they slow down it's not woth it. I'll go with a 4* or somthin' extra if that's the case.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2004, 01:42 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Have you looked at the Spad's. The Spa3d or Spa3dt is a plane that you can build inexpensively and has the same type of flying characteristics as the Extreme 330. The Spad will do alot of 3d and is very durable. I have built two and they are a blast to fly with a 46 engine. They are capable of flying very slow. If it crashes, chances are good that you can fix it very easy. If you can handle the Spa3d you can handle a Funtana, or the profile balsa kits.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My profiles are quite docile on low rates. I'd say they are no more difficult to fly than a Tiger 2 or Four Star. Of course.... high rates are another story.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

JUTS GET IT and then in a few weeks you will fly like this...

Dan

Its soo easy to fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47078.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	98443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25646.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	98444  
Old 02-07-2004, 06:25 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

My setup involves a OS 46 fx, Jr 10X radio, 5 Hitec 605s and some hitec receiver

If you get this plane I will sell u my TT Pro 46...i need to sell it bad

Dan
Old 02-14-2004, 03:54 PM
asybra00
My Feedback: (12)

I work at a Hobby Shop in Minnesota, and am in the same perdicament you are in........... I have a Trainer right now with Great Plane Floats and an OS 70FS and am very confident flying that even after 8 months without a single flight........ I also want to get the Extreme 330, its easy to fix and the guys in the shop tell me its a great plane to learn on. Compare it to the Extreme 540 and it is a pound less, has more wing area and is like 50 dollars cheaper!! If i were you id just get the 330, thats what im going to do and that will be easy to fix (if needed), and is also capable of flying 3D if you should so decide to do so. If you want to chat drop me a line........
Old 02-14-2004, 04:20 PM
AcousticTX

The Ex-Treme 330 is my favorite plane out of my current line up.

If you feel really confident with your trainer go ahead and get it. My only suggestion is to make sure you have an instructor (if available) near you on the maiden just in case.

The flight charactatistics are signifigantly different than a trainer. For your first flight just remember keep the CG as far forward as recommended by the instructions, low rate throws, and small control inputs. It will probably feel kinda squirly at first, but you will get over that quick. You can litterally land it super slow at the spot of your choice and it takes about 2 feet after landing to come to a stop.

I got it as my 3rd plane several months ago (1 week after my second plane) and It's now my favorite.