Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Negative Members

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Negative Members

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
gitterdun
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative Members

I just want to say that some of the members on here are pretty negative and I'ts like a broken record " get an instructor,get AMA ,dont do this dont do that you can almost see there grouchy old faces for the most part Rc Universe is awsome but BEWARE be very carefull how you word things here They will tear you a knew As^%%le Im not sure if moderators watch this or not but I would think that some members run people off and they just dont use the forums anymore I have been reading and posting since about Dec. 03 not long at all but long enough to know who is full of it and who isnt You peole know who you are lighten up fella's will ya ?Try to have some fun Its allmost like some of you guys feel like we are here to take this hobby from you! Go ahead say something negative now I dare you!!! LOL see ya
Old 03-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Crashem

Default RE: Negative Members

A lot of times people misinterpret the posts made by others and assume the worst. Telling somone to get an instructor or find a club isn't negative yet many people respond in a agrumentitive manner when they are given this advice

When you ask another for advice and it isn't what you want to hear understand that it is after all only advice take it or leave it...

I for one used to enjoy the instructor vs self taught debates but lately it seems that if a poster doen't get the response they were expecting the gloves come off... Case in point the thread on starting a motor!!! Here's somone asking for advice getting down right beligerent.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

'Ya ever stop to think maybe we're just trying to save you some of the agonies we went through ourselves?

If 15 seconds of typing saves some kid $300 of hard-earned burger flippin pay then it's worth it. Even if he hears some news that he doesn't like or welcome.

Some laws we didn't make:

Gravity

Dininishing Returns

Entropy
Old 03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Another thing to consider is that people ask the same questions over and over. Some people have been on these boards for a long time. It's easy to get a little grumpy with the umpteenth "Can I fly without an instructor" or "Is a Sport plane a good trainer" .

Perhaps we need more sticky threads on common questions?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Beginner's baseball:

Beginner gets an ARF

He goes to the local park with an untrimmed, untested model (Strike 1)
He doen't get an instructor. (strike 2)
The engine starts (Strike 3 we got us a pile of toothpicks.)

We tried the sticky threads on commn questions... the beginners ignore them. and then wonder why we point them to the sticky threads where the answer has already been posted.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
MikeMc

OMG(osh). This is my gripe for almost 20 years and has caused me to leave more than one club. Advice to get an instructor is good, but here's my feeling and I'm sure a lot share them with me...

'IF I WANT YOUR HELP OR WANT YOU TO SAVE ME SOME MONEY I'LL ASK!!! Otherwise if I'm not harming anybody but myself then shut the heck up.'

I've ask for help here and at the club field many, many times, but guess what, IT'S UP TO ME TO ASK NOT YOU TO TELL. I'm sure the overly helpful people are really nice people, but WE ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN. I bet 9 out of 10 people moved out of their parent's house so they could stop being told what to do. Adults making their own decisions? Wow, what a new concept. < sarcasm

And for the zillionth time I'm not talking about children.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
spokman

Why not just smile and say thanks for the advice then do what you want to? Can't hurt and you might learn something. I do that in most everything unless the person is really annoying..
Old 03-05-2004, 05:41 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

Well at first i thought i didn't need an instructor and maybe i don't but with the knowledge up here and it's free advise,i don't think you can go wrong.I would rather get somebody to help me before i went out and destroyed my plane and who knows what,or who i could crash into makes me do some thinking but i'm getting to like this sport and i will fly my own plane someday soon i hope.Yes there are some old farts up here and maybe they don't like the newbies but life is life and i'm not going there.The only thing i can see is when somebody posts for advice they get at least three sometimes with about the same answer but maybe,just maybe some of them had a bad day and have to vent without thinking before hand.

This is a great sport but so is live so enjoy it.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
zetor

Get yourself a thicker skin geez.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:49 PM
bhole74

I have noticed on more than one occasion where someone has been called stupid, that's uncalled for.[>:]
Old 03-05-2004, 05:50 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: MikeMc

OMG(osh). This is my gripe for almost 20 years and has caused me to leave more than one club. Advice to get an instructor is good, but here's my feeling and I'm sure a lot share them with me...

'IF I WANT YOUR HELP OR WANT YOU TO SAVE ME SOME MONEY I'LL ASK!!! Otherwise if I'm not harming anybody but myself then shut the heck up.'

I've ask for help here and at the club field many, many times, but guess what, IT'S UP TO ME TO ASK NOT YOU TO TELL. I'm sure the overly helpful people are really nice people, but WE ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN. I bet 9 out of 10 people moved out of their parent's house so they could stop being told what to do. Adults making their own decisions? Wow, what a new concept. < sarcasm

And for the zillionth time I'm not talking about children.
Some "adults" seem to have never matured mentally... (Hi McMike. )

If you are doing something obviously stupid.. and get told about it... and come across with that attitude. You can get tossed off the club flying site for beeing unsafe AND stupid.

Ignorance iscureable... stupid is forever. I think I see a terminal case.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:52 PM
bhole74

See what I mean?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 PM
kfowler

I've been posting on all sorts of forums for a long time. The key thing to remember is that your reading a post in the way you imagine the person is saying it. That may be totally different from what was intened. Forums are an invaluable resource. However, their biggest problem is you can't see the expression of the person's face that's posting. There are rude people on here just like anywhere. Just ignore their comments. Anywhere you go your going to see the same thing. See I'm smiling!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

glit, I never would have guessed that I would be one telling people to get an instructor or to be safe, because I fly a plane harder than anyone I know and make it do stuff it shouldn't, and sometimes do stupid things with it, but only when I am not where I shouldn't be. The reason I give the advice to people to get an instructor is because I have seen litterally hundreds of people buy planes when I had my hobby shop in college, and take them out by themselves because they COULDN'T WAIT to fly it, and crashed it and noone ever saw them before.

I am all for people enjoying the hobby, but a very high percentage of people can't just go out and fly one. I am thinking in the high 90 percentile of the people will crash it.

I don't care if someone wants to go out and try one on their own if they are safe about it and do it where they won't kill someone. I don't like it when someone who thinks he can fly, but usually doesn't know much tells people how easy it is when it really isn't. It is not the right thing to do and doesn't do the new person a favor. It sets them up for pretty certain doom in the hobby.

If you want to fly without help for some reason or another thats fine. No worries from any of the guys here. Just don't come back with a story like the Kmart story in the clubhouse last week. That kind of stuff is what we are trying to stop!

If your going to be on a web board and give advice that a high percentage of the experienced pilots don't agree with, they are going to give you both barrels and make sure that other newbies don't try something unsafe. Just the way it is. The main thing is to have fun with the hobby. The rest is just stuff. Deal with it or don't, its your choice.

Just my feelings on it. If you come with a chip on your shoulder about it, your just setting yourself up.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 PM
wings

ORIGINAL: bhole74

See what I mean?

See exactly what you mean. Totally uncalled for and the only point of such a post is to get under the skin of the recipient. I believe this is exactly what the originator of this thread was refering to.

I see nothing wrong with offering advice that wasn't exactly asked for. But it shouldn't be offered with an ultimatum. "Get an instructor or you will have no sucess" ,"Join AMA or you will get sued and loose everything". "If you acted like that in my club we would kick you out"That sort of thing is what annoyes people. And in this forum those kind of comments are VERY frequent. It is sort of a turn off.

I learned tons of info from this site before I even purchases a plane. It is a wonderful resource. But I think it is safe to say that some of the more experienced people in here think they know everything and get snooty quite a bit, specially when someone disagrees with them, after all they have more experience, they MUST be right on EVERY issue.... Right?

Wings
Old 03-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Moderators do watch the forum and for one, I try to make sure the discussion doesn't turn personal. If it is a healthy argument, I really don't mind. If we begin calling each other names, then I address it. If we all thought alike, then the world would be really boring.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 PM
MikeMc

ORIGINAL: FHHuber

Dood, did you just imply I'm immature? What are you trying to say? I don't share your view so you can imply I'm immature?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:01 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Post with an attitude asking to be slammed... you're going to get slammed.

Post with the attitude of wanting assistance... and generally you are going to get an honest opinion and some good advice on how to handle some particular problem.

Post a tip that can help someone, because you tried it and it works.. and people are going to say thanks.

Post something that is bad advice, especially something that could be dangerous, and you can bet you will be pounced on like a mouse in a room full of cats.

Wings... when you post an honest question about a problem... what kind of response do I post in reply? The correct way to fix it the quickest, cheapest manner possible. I don't go back and look for ways to bring up any old arguments. (because there's no point to it.)
Old 03-05-2004, 07:07 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Dood, did you just imply I'm immature? What are you trying to say? I don't share your view so you can imply I'm immature?

Gee... you have to guess?

You take a 4-year old's cartoon character for an avitar... and then your signature line... and then your comments about not wanting to have to listen to unsolicited advice (which is most likely for your own safety... if not the safety of others near you...)

If I had a 9 year old kid with that attitude he'd be grounded for a week. (if that didn't work... he'd get another week... till it did work.)

If there were someone like that at the local club field he'd have 8 guys around him within 3 min telling him shape up or GET OUT.

No wonder you leave so many clubs... they probably all gave you the boot.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:12 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GITT,
Try to have some fun Its allmost like some of you guys feel like we are here to take this hobby from you! Go ahead say something negative now I dare you!!! LOL see ya

WELL what most see is that if someone crashes a plane into a person and hurts them or even kills them (god forbid) or into a car or house while learning to fly on there own in a place they shouldnt fly. yes in a way THEY are taking my hobby away by giving people ammo who dont like our hobby and want to shut us ALL down and i dont want that to happen so we tell whats best for ALL of us in this great hobby so we dont lose the privilege to fly. and yes it is it is a privilege NOT a right, and like all privileges it can be taken away.

so please think about it. what ONE person does affects us ALL.

bassman
Old 03-05-2004, 07:24 PM
MikeMc

Gee... you have to guess?

You take a 4-year old's cartoon character for an avitar... and then your signature line... and then your comments about not wanting to have to listen to unsolicited advice (which is most likely for your own safety... if not the safety of others near you...)

If I had a 9 year old kid with that attitude he'd be grounded for a week. (if that didn't work... he'd get another week... till it did work.)

If there were someone like that at the local club field he'd have 8 guys around him within 3 min telling him shape up or GET OUT.

No wonder you leave so many clubs... they probably all gave you the boot.
I have very stong opinion about this subject but didn't make any personal attack. Oh wait, I had some attitude so that makes it ok for you to call names. I feel much better now. Besides you obviously didn't read all of my post because you would have noticed the 2 disclaimers in it. Having a club or not, AMA insurance or not, having somebody telling you what to do or not has NOTHING to do with safety. Where did I ever say anything about being unsafe?

My sig and avatar have NOTHING to do with this topic. Why not bring my height or weight into it also? Your sig has a WWI plane in it so can I assume you're the pilot and are a hundred years old?

You don't know me so keep your assumptions about me to yourself. You are the last person to be lecturing about maturity. Take your power trip and sit down.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gitterdun

I just want to say that some of the members on here are pretty negative and I'ts like a broken record " get an instructor,get AMA ,dont do this dont do that you can almost see there grouchy old faces for the most part Rc Universe is awsome but BEWARE be very carefull how you word things here They will tear you a knew As^%%le Im not sure if moderators watch this or not but I would think that some members run people off and they just dont use the forums anymore I have been reading and posting since about Dec. 03 not long at all but long enough to know who is full of it and who isnt You peole know who you are lighten up fella's will ya ?Try to have some fun Its allmost like some of you guys feel like we are here to take this hobby from you! Go ahead say something negative now I dare you!!! LOL see ya
Hi Gitterdun.
What would you have us reply?
Good luck
Dave Olson

ps , if you want to look like you're not trolling try using complete sentences, good grammar, proper punctuation and paragraph placement. Yes, I think this was a troll, and people with diverse viewpoints fell for it.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I have very stong opinion about this subject but didn't make any personal attack. Oh wait, I had some attitude so that makes it ok for you to call names. I feel much better now. Besides you obviously didn't read all of my post because you would have noticed the 2 disclaimers in it. Having a club or not, AMA insurance or not, having somebody telling you what to do or not has NOTHING to do with safety. Where did I ever say anything about being unsafe?

My sig and avatar have NOTHING to do with this topic. Why not bring my height or weight into it also? Your sig has a WWI plane in it so can I assume you're the pilot and are a hundred years old?

You don't know me so keep your assumptions about me to yourself. You are the last person to be lecturing about maturity. Take your power trip and sit down.

You posted an immature WHINE about people telling you stuff you didn't want to hear. The main thing people don't want to hear is when they are WRONG. (especially if they are being stupid.)

You can look at my avitarr and you see... ME and an airplane I own. The picture is less than 6 months old... taken by a local club member and put in the club newsletter. I asked him to send me the pic as a JPG because I thought it was a good pic. ( and I couldn't pull the pic from the Adobe Acrobat PDF file the newsletter gets emailed to me in.)

I know enough from your posts to know... you haven't a clue about how to deal with criticism... and that your mom didn't teach you any manners.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Test`Pilot

HAHAHA, Personally I find you all ( in cluding me)very funny, aside from us all sharing the same hobby I think we are acting like children, attacking each other like a 13 year old starting his world domination tour.
when ever someone tells me something I don't want to hear, normally i would do it any ways just to piss him off or just because i was going to do it regardless.
I am always doing my best to be safe about my crazy and STUPID stunts and I don't care what anybody thinks, i'll do what I like, if it's to fly a plane I shouldn't be flying, I might waste MY money but it's my decision.
I flew my first plane without an instructor and yes i did crash it more than once untill i figured out that maybe I should join a club, IF ONLY I KNEW WHERE TO FIND ONE.

This is a great hobby and if someone likes the hobby he will participate, if it he had to crash a couple of airplanes before he gets it right.
be smart or be stupid I don't care, just don't hurt any one and smile
don't like what i said or the way i think, oh well I don't give a $h!t
Old 03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tell ya.....this is some cheap entertainment.... [sm=surprised.gif]

Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.