Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:51 AM
vf171
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

Anyone fly an Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF? I ordered one today from the LHS. Just curious what ya'll think about them.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Trung

Default RE: Ultrafly Cessna 182 ARF

I got one a few months ago and loved it... at least for a lil while. I learned to fly by myself on this plane after a few hours with fms. First day I was for gettin the hang of it and tried not to crash, second day I was doing loops and rolls everywhere. Dont go thru the trouble of putting flaps, it lands very slow even though mine was 200g overweight with the large battery. Enjoy
Old 12-28-2004, 01:06 PM
vf171

Trung,
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it was a good trainer.

The guys at the LHS tried to tell me to stay away from it but like you I'll have some stick time on a SIM before I take this one out. In addition, the LHS provides free flilght lessons on a buddy box for all planes purchased from them.

One other question, did you ever put the :advanced" wing on it? Does it make it flying it any better? Also, just to pick your brain a little, what ESC and Batt. did you end up running?

Thanks,
VF
Old 12-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Trung

I set up the keyboard so that ailerons and elavators are on the right hand and the others on my left, just like a transmitter so you get used to the controls in the sim before going out with a real plane. I had about 8 flights on the biginner wing before I switched. But what a difference... the plane seemed to move faster, loops and rolls better, well the advanced wing does everything better, even got to fly inverted for a while. Just take your time dont rush into the advanced wing too early. Before you switch the wings, max out the throws for all control surfaces on the beginner wing and see what you can do. I took off and landed on high rates well before I switched. My ESC was an electrifly c-30 and I used the 1800 mAh Slinger/DC3 battery. Big mistake! I thought I could use this stuff in the electrifly DC3 later but after doing some basic aerobatics I never looked back at teh dc3. The battery is too big to use in any other park flyers and the ESC was an unescessary investment. If I could go back I would have gotten a c-10 or c-20 ESC and the suggested battery, which you could reuse in other planes. Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:18 AM
vf171

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Anyone else? I'm open to ALL constructive advice.

VF
Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
kevinb

Hi there, I am building my cessna 182 now and have purchased 4 slinger batts to go with the ultrafly brushless set-up. Do you think with the brushless and castle creations ESC I will be ok or should I send the batteries back to Tower while I can ? basically do you think I will be able to loop,roll, inverted etc... Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Trung

I did loops easily, but rolls and inverted can only be done good with the advanced wing. I used the stock motor. Are you planing to use the slinger batteries on anything else after? If thats the reason for getting those batteries then my advice is dont. They're too big for most park flyers and too heavy for aerobatic type planes. Theyre pretty much only good for the Slinger or DC3 which theyre desinged for. But again youre using brushless so I dont know what kind of perfomance you will be getting out of that combo...I never used brushless.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:20 AM
kevinb

Hello and thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long. Well I am thinking about getting the Stinger and flying it stock for a while and I compared the weights of the recommended Batts and the slinger batt and it really doe's not weigh all that much more. Basically I was looking for extended flying time more than anything else and have decided to wait on going with Li-Pos for a bit. I am only half way with the Cessna right now but will be taking pictures and video of the first flight so I will be sure to send/post for everyone. It is a nice kit for sure but far more involved for an ARF title really. So far I have made some improvements and wish I had taken pictures during the building process. I would recommend to those intrested in the Cessna from Ultrafly to have some model building experience to get the most out of the plane and be able to repair it. I have 4 of the slinger batts and am going to fly it with just the one that is unpacked for now and see. And I'll be sure to let everyone know if it's worth it or not. Already I do know that you would have to be using a brushless to really benefit from the added weight. And I also painted the plane with a very light water based spray paint " KRYLON home decor durable latex spray " and I purchased it at a Hobby Lobby which has nothing to do with our hobby but is a large craft supply chain of retail stores. Only $4.00 a can and 2 is all you need. This really makes the plane look nice and makes a big difference with the cowl matching the fuselage. It is a satin finish so it is not as glossy as I would like but I knew it would be safe for the foam. If anyone one else knows of a good foam safe spray paint please let us know !!!!! Thanks and talk to you later, Kevin
Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
vf171

Great to see others building this too. I have been so busy that I'm only about half way through this build also. This is my first plane so I've been taking it really slow, I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

I was having a problem locating the hinges last week, I have the wing built and the ailerons cut but I could not find the hinges until another member who has built one previously told me what they looked like and that they were in one of the bags containing the wings. I have the Fuesalage glued up with the rod guides installed as well...slowly but surely......

About paint, I have started experimenting with airbrushing using Createx paint. I bought a cheap Harborfreight airbrush (Model 1500) for $15 and since I already have a compressor all I have in the set-up is $15 for the airbrush and about $20 for paints.

BTW Kevin, here's a REALLY helpful post on how to paint foam models....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311038

Good Luck and keep us all informed. I will put pics up shortly too.

VF171
Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 AM
kevinb

Hi and thanks for the painting link. FYI on the type of hinges supplied.... they have been known to slip out even after they have been glued in. If you glued them already to one side of the control surfaces I recommend drilling a small hole thru the control surface and going thru the middle of the hinge closest to the control horn and CA in the hole a leftover piece of clear pushrod tubing. I just went ahead and used the DUBRO plastic hinges but will still be doing the above recommendation even so. Also take great care when getting the elevator ( if you have'nt already) making sure both of the elevators will seat well and level into the u shaped control rod /hinges. make a few dry fits to get right before gluing. I also am working on a way that will allow me to quickly change out the aileron servos between both wings so I won't have to by another pair. By the way I am using the Hitec HS-55's. I am stuck in the house all weekend here in Atlanta with an ice storm so I will be checking the post for your reply and any other suggestions. And in the words of the owner of Atlanta Hobby.com "Cliff" GOOD WINDS !!!!!!! you guy's ought to check out his online store he is for sure one of the best and honest hobby store owners you would ever do business with.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
kevinb

Hey Trung, I decided that I am going to go with go with an all EPP wing ( an ele bee from atlanta hobby) instead of the stinger because I do want to do full combat with one of my flying buddies who has one set up with a brushless. In fact just got off the phone with him and he said the slinger batts would would work great for that type of wing. The wings at atlanta hobby by the way are the only ones right now now that are all 1 piece EPP. sO AFTER WATCHING HIM FLY HIS AND THE VIDEOS OOOPPSS at combatwings.com I gotta have one so, at least I won't have to send the slinger batts back. I never did tell you that one of the reasons also that I did'nt go with the recommended batt was that you can't quick charge them and you can the slinger batts. Later and thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 AM
kevinb

Trung, hey man I just noticed you live in London ON. I grew up in Niagara falls NY and just moved to Atlanta 5 years ago. I used to be in Canada all the time. LOVE IT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a live sound man I spent many a nights having a blast all the way up to Quebec. Not too mention Canada has the best selection of ballet clubs in the world !!!!!! Of course being only 10 mins from the border it was just to nice. Love Toronto ,and the music scene in Canada has ALWAYS been ahead of the US and just about everywhere else. We were just home visiting family/friends over the holidays and I'll let you know in advance next time we come home so we can get together and fly. London is about only an hour from the border if I remember right ?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
kevinb

Hey VF, just a quick note on the prop set-up. there are 2 plastic washers included with the APC prop and the instructions do not make mention of them. ( I also used this same prop on my PIGI3D) Anyhow make sure you use the bigger of the 2 and you will have to hand tighten it as it is a little tight so it will screw down like a nut.so in step 15 there is 1. 3x3 screw 2. 12x5 washer 3.spinner base (4. plastic washer) 5. prop ( also be sure to shave off and lightly sand and plastic flashing so the prop sits flush) 6. 12x5 washer etc...by putting the washer in your prop will be much more stable and will not have to reley solely on how tight the M5 nut it for stability. This kinda works out cool that I can add hints to the post as I'm building as my PC and workshop are all in the same room !Later man and hope this helps
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
vf171

Kevin,
ALL information helps! I appreciate it immensely!!!

I'll make sure to follow your advice on the prop set-up, I am also going to retro-fit the clear tubing through the hinges. I knew there was someghing about those things I didn't like...LOL.

Seriously though, I asked another frined who flies allot of foamies about the CA type hinges and he said he's never had a problem. I'm a Mech. Tech. by trade so I know plenty about mechanical failures and I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling when I look at the way those things are set-up.

Anyway, where did you get plastic hinges? I thougt about making my own but I was worried about weight. Until I get this thing in the air and I'm confident that it has plenty of power with the stock power system I don't want to add or change to much. Once I know she'll go I think I'm going to look inyo changing those hinges out.

Anyway, be safe, looks bad down there around Atlanta right now. I got to run to the lumber yard and LHS. Should be back in a few hours, I'm going to try and get some pics put up tonight....

Thanks,
VF171
Old 01-29-2005, 04:08 PM
kevinb

Hey VF, I got the hinges at Atlanta hobby I am going to try and post a few pics plus I have some shots of how I am going to use 2 nylon screws to hold the wooden motor post. note the 2 holes on the top of the fuse in front of the window. I am doing this to make it easier to repair/modify.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54741.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	222284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54126.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	222285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79322.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	222286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74314.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	222287  
Old 01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
kevinb

pic of the motor post installed. by the way it is a very solid fit and hold and by having it out an 1/8" more I did'nt need to drill an access hole.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46835.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	222294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96169.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	222295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59622.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	222296  
Old 01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
vf171

Sweet pics...
Me and the wife are going out for dinner tonight so I'll post pics late tonight. Not much to sho really.

VF171
Old 01-30-2005, 09:09 AM
kevinb

Hey There, power has been out since 9pm last nite and should be ok for the rest of the day. By 3 pm all the ice should be melted so I will catch up with you later. Working on the power sysytem now. Later
Old 01-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Trung

Hey kevinb... been pretty busy for past few weeks so I havent been on rcu for a while. London is about 2 hours from the border. well I dont mind if you want to meet up to fly some day, drop me a line whenever you come to visit... [email protected]
Old 01-31-2005, 10:15 PM
kevinb

Hey VF, hear ya on being busy. Only reason I got to work on the plane so much was because of the weather and we were stuck in the house. Got the power system up and working and so far very pleased. Going to post a couple more pics later on what I am doing with my mods on the recommended wing mounting/holddown system .Which with your background I am sure your not to confident in either. How far are you along with yours anyhow? Myself, I am glad I am taking my time with this one even though I was hoping to fly it much sooner after getting it. For an "ARF" it is far more involved to be labled such. Anyhow, have a good one and we'll catch up later. KB
Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 AM
vf171

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, work is nuts and it's looking like a new job, perhaps a move back to Ohio, is on the horizon. Anyway, I have the wing completed minus the flap servo installation. Fuse is all glued up and the elevator and rudder are almost complete.

I'm going to airbrush it when I'm done, not sure of the scheme, proba a scale paint job, I found a couple I like alot.

I agree about the amount of work, although I like it! It's surprising how much there is to do to get a piece of faom in the air!! I also agree about the wing mounting/holddown scheme. I'm going to fly it that way for now. When I switch over to the advanced wing I will probably modify it with something a bit more robust.

I checked Atlanta Hobby and I couldn't find the hinges. I'd like to use them on the GWS P-51 and A-10 I just got. Construction won't start for a few weeks so I got some time to look around.... They are DUBRO, right?

Anyway, post more pics when you can and I promise I'll do the same...soon?

VF171
Old 02-06-2005, 12:48 AM
kevinb

Hey VF, check out my new thread with a lot of pics of my GWS Slo Stick set up for night flying. the tread is called " Slo Stick with glowire for night flying and ther is a total of 4 post to include all the pics. Gotta a good bit of flying in today with the boy's. Weather was great. And I grew up in Akron Ohio.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 AM
kevinb

Sorry VF, yes I am almost sure they were Dubro but I have seen others simular.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
kevinb

Hey VF, HOW YOU DOING ?????? well let me know where your at with the plane and I am pusing to be done by this Sun night to fly on Monday if the weather permits get some pics up man !!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM
vf171

Sorry Kevin!
Man it's been crazy around here. Thanks for the update on the hinges.

Akron, huh? I grew up about 25 minutes south of there near Canton!

I'm going to try and finish the bird up this weekend too. This is my short week (I work every other Friday) so I should have a good bit of time. I had to work on the woodworking around the house this past weekend. Wife is getting antsy about finishing it up so we can sell the place.

Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon, I'm taking tomorrow off to finish up a paper for class so I might be able to "sneak" in some time while the wife and kids are are away!

K keep me posted and I'll check out your other thread ASAP.

Here's a link to an idea I have...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330875

Later!!
VF171

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.