Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Nhill527

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Question

Hey,i bought a Tower Trainer 40 from towerhobbies and im wondering if thats a good plane to learn to fly on ? i have Real Flight G2 and i've been flying on it for a few days also.. thanks for reading
Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginner Question

As with most "Trainers", The Tower 40 is as good as most. But, a good Instructor is primary !
A simulator is OK but will not replace the real thing . Use the Sim to practice coming at you where the controls are reversed. Just lean the aileron stick towards the lower wing and it will level out the plane. At the field, don't be impatient...Leave the loops and rolls till later after you can take off and land the plane with confidence.

Good luck !
Ugo
Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Nhill527

i dont know any one close by where i live who is an instructor. so this is somethin imma have to go at on my own and a sim.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Ugo Ferrari

As with most "Trainers", The Tower 40 is as good as most. But, a good Instructor is primary !
A simulator is OK but will not replace the real thing . Use the Sim to practice coming at you where the controls are reversed. Just lean the aileron stick towards the lower wing and it will level out the plane. At the field, don't be impatient...Leave the loops and rolls till later after you can take off and land the plane with confidence.

Good luck ! Tiffany ? A Lady Pilot? Wonderful !!
Ugo
Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Nhill527

yeah.. i was into all other rc's (cars,trucks,helicopters,boats) so i decided to try out the airplanes. i had a 2 ch when i was younger but it had ALOT of crash time and I spent most of my time going up a tree to fetch it haha.. thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Ugo Ferrari

How 'bout it guys and gals, Anybody know of any Clubs nearby Tiff to give her an assist to some proper guidance in this fabulous hobby ?

Ugo
Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM
wtb3886

Greetings from South Carolina Nhill527 :-)

There is not alot of difference in most trainers as to how they handle,
(however if your airplane is not setup properly then we have a different ball game).

Having a instructor is MOST important to begin with.

How well your airplane is put together can also make a difference in handling.

Build it right and keep it light and trim it right you will have a great handling airplane, then you can start your flight training and began to learn how to fly.

wtb3886atyahoo :-)
Old 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Nhill527

does anyone here have messenger? would love to know more about this hobby,i dont know much in the airplane section
Old 04-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Nhill527

thanks,i wish i knew someone close who could help me but i dont know anyone and we dont have a lhs no more.. closest hobby shop is 4 hours away
Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, this is twice in one day I've had to make the same statement. Trust me, you don't want to go alone. Those that try to teach themselves to fly usually only learn how to repair your plane, a lot. Use the resources below to try to find an instructor:

Club finder at the AMA website
[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

Instructor locater here on RCU
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/locatorsearch.cfm?infotype=instructor[/link]

Club locater here on RUC
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/locatorsearch.cfm?infotype=venue[/link]

There is so much more than just flying that your instructor will teach you. First off, almost every new airplane will be out of trim. That means that the control surfaces will be out of adjustment so the plane is going to be hard to control on the first flight. Match that with the fact that you haven't flown before, and then the fact that you won't know how to make the needed trim adjustments and I'm going to predict 6 seconds. 6 seconds? Yep, that's about how long that first flight is going to last. Your instructor will make these first adjustments for you, so that you might have a little bit of a fighting chance in learning. Plus an instructor will teach you to properly assemble your plane, adjust your motor, learn safety around that motor, learn to fly in a safe manner, learn how to make repairs if something does break.

Most people that try to learn to fly on their own will usually wind up quitting out of frustration. Please take the time to find and instructor. This is such a great hobby. I'd hate to see you get frustrated and quit before you ever have a chance to see how much fun it is.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Listen to what everyone's saying, and try your best to find a club and an instructor. It really is the easiest and least expensive way to learn. Ken gave you a couple of terrific links for finding clubs and instructors, and hopefully you'll find one close to you. By the way, virtually every club instructs new people free of charge. It's about the only thing in this hobby that's cheap.

Buying G2 was a good start, and the Tower Trainer will be fine for starting out.

Good luck, and welcome to the best RC hobby out there.
Dennis-
Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Nhill527

i found a club close by, i will check it out tomerrow. as for messenger ? i dont bite [>:] jk thanks y'all
Old 04-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Time Pilot

My Tower Trainer is still being built, but I've been flying electrics for over a year now. I'm on my third plane now, each a bit faster than the one before, and I can't imagine flying the Tower Trainer for the first time knowing that it is even faster than the electric I'm flying now.

Unless you like to build, an instructor is a good idea.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nhill527

Hey,i bought a Tower Trainer 40 from towerhobbies and im wondering if thats a good plane to learn to fly on ? i have Real Flight G2 and i've been flying on it for a few days also.. thanks for reading
It is a GREAT little machine for training. I have one just for getting newbies started. It is powered with a ST 40 which is more than plenty engine. I am working with a Lady student now that has the same model with an LA 40. The ST is a bit more, however she handles either hers or mine about the same. The LA 40 is plenty of power.
For those that use the ST, a very thin restrictor placed in the throttle barrel stops all the regular "setting" problems that so many experience.

IMO the use of a simulator PRIOR to receiving a few instructional lessons can create some bad habits. The sim AFTER a few Instructional flights can definitely assist your skill progress.

At our club meeting this Thurs. night, our first young lady, age 14, received her wings. She completed the Club's solo requirements on this past Sunday.

Best of luck to YOU.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:04 AM
SoonerAce

Welcome to RC! Its an awesome hobby/addiction. Don't be afraid to ask anything in here. Everyone is so helpful , at times it blows me away. For sure get with an instructor and just have fun. I believe (I may be wrong) last AMA demographics poll showed 3% of the pilots were female. My wife said, She wanted that put on her plane(when I finish it) "3%" in PINK Letters. Hey, long as shes havin fun. Again, have fun, and welcome
Old 04-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Nhill527

i blowed guys minds in the nitro truck section,someone made a post said thay would offer $5 to the 1st girl posted there who was into the hobby big mistake.. thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Nhill527

i got my airplane in today,couldnt wait to get it open to see how big it is,now i must say im Amazed! i dont have the electonics or the engine yet but electronics will be bought next week and engine might be bought at the same time. it will hang in my celing until i get it ready to fly then will be meeting up with someone to help me with it
Old 04-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Ugo Ferrari

YOU GO GIRL !!

Ugo
Old 04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Nhill527

Question Is,What Engine And Control Will Work, i dont wanna pay TO much.. maybe $150 at the most for control and $100 for engine
Old 04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
ScienceisCool

the thunder tiger .46 pro is a nice engine... have it on my avistar and love it. only about 80 bucks.

as for radio... 4 channels is a basic set up, but if you plan on staying with the hobby for a while get more channels so you can add flaps and retracts to later models. ask someone else about which brand cuz i'm not sure how they rate against each other.

hope this helps.

John
Old 04-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Mornin' Tiff ! Check the TOWER catalog... They have a six channel Futaba outfit for $149.99 which includes everything you'll need for your plane ( less engine). I wouldn't go less than 6 channels ! The radio model is :6YG Skyport 6 Channel, FM System.
The Thunder Tiger .46 Pro is a good choice, but they also make a .42 size witch is about $50.00.

Ugo
Old 04-30-2005, 10:17 AM
bruce88123

Nhill527- If you can get up to Olive Branch, MS you can fly at our field, good paved runway too.
AMA field. We have instructors and buddyboxes for the major brand radios. PM if you would like more info.
Tower trainer should be great to learn on and there are many radio/engine combinations that will work in your price range.
Those suggested by ScienceisCool and Ugo Ferrari are good.

Welcome and good luck.

I just checked Yahoo, says we're about 100 mi from you, probably too far to travel. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

ORIGINAL: ScienceisCool

the thunder tiger .46 pro is a nice engine... have it on my avistar and love it. only about 80 bucks.

as for radio... 4 channels is a basic set up, but if you plan on staying with the hobby for a while get more channels so you can add flaps and retracts to later models. ask someone else about which brand cuz i'm not sure how they rate against each other.

hope this helps.

John
i agree, if u r willingh to pay maybe like 20-25 more then 150 u can get a futaba flight pack its only 100, bout the engine, yea thunder tiger .46 is good, i own 3, in my pt-40, lt-4-, and a sig somtin extra
Old 04-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Nhill527

would a Airtronics RD 6000 work in my plane ? i need a control for both my helicopter and airplane and this one will let me run both of them on 1 control.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

ORIGINAL: Nhill527

would a Airtronics RD 6000 work in my plane ? i need a control for both my helicopter and airplane and this one will let me run both of them on 1 control.
yea it will

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.