Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newsletter assist

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newsletter assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 05:51 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newsletter assist

This is probably not the forum for this, but I didn't see one that was related to club newsletters so I thought this would be as good a place as any, mainly because the readers of this forum would be the ones that I am sort of looking to for input.

The problem is this: I write/edit the newsletter for our club. I am constantly looking for input from the folks that I serve with this publication but never seem to get any. Yeah, there are always the usual people that provide input, but that is generally to few and far between.

The newsletter is published monthly, usually a week or a week and a half before the monthly meeting. This is usually because it acts as a reminder for the upcoming meeting (which out of a club membership of around 70 people, gets attended by about 10 people, but that's a different subject altogether).

I was just wondering if someone out there may have a magic bullet that will get people to provide me input for the newsletter. Using standard weight paper, 5 sheets of paper (or nine and a half pages of printed matter) will weigh in right at 1 ounce so a $0.37 postage stamp works just fine. But, I often have to use my imagination to get all 9.5 pages filled with useful and interesting RC flight related information.

I would hope that the forum moderators may be of assist with this, but any useful input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DS.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 AM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newsletter assist

CG;

I tried (and failled) to do the same thing. Most folks would rather read about others than write a note themselves - but boy do they get upset if there is nothing in the newsletter!

I had a small section called 'Wing Tips' - basically helpful building tips, it went over well for about a year and then the tips dried up, I tried listening to the fellows and quoted them, then they stopped chatting around me. (it was a positive comments! no negatives) If you are going to do this; scour the magazines for the hint sections and be sure to say where it came from (noone needs to be sued).

Other than that, you are on your way to the typical thankless volunteer job.

WELL DONE, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
CGRetired

The other day, I was looking for 'cartoons' to put in the newsletter. Well, I ran across a site that had 103 pages of hints... yep, 103 pages! Each one with a title. So, I indexed them and gave them a chapter number, then used th MS Word capability to create page numbers and a table of contents. This gave me some 60 some odd chapters, each one with a different tip, flying idea, and so on. Soooo.. good idea, and many thanks for reminding me of that. I will start with chapter 1 and go from there in each newsletter!

DS.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Puzzles/quizzes/contests sort of things seem to work in this medium, I have found.

Could be nearly anything. Maybe a close up photo of one small part of a plane, with the caption 'What kind of plane is this?'. Or perhaps some sort of aerodynamics quiz. Whatever.

Point being, take all the answers that get submitted via e-mail or whatever, draw a winner from the correct ones (if there's more than one) and give away some small 'prize' that the club could easily afford to fund...like, maybe a gallon of glow fuel or a couple of glow plugs or whatever.

HTH
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Fastsky

Maybe its just me, but why do you think you need 9.5 pages filled for every newsletter? To me that sounds like a lot for a club that has only 70 members. Our club has about 100 members. Our newsletter comes out 4 times a year and consists of about 4 pages. It includes photos of club events, meetings where planes are brought for a look see, and members airplanes at the field. It also includes summarys from club meetings so everyone is kept up to date. Maybe your club cn save money on newsletters by having less of them but more colorful by adding the photos. I know our members like our newsletter format a lot more since we started adding pictures. We aslo used to set meetings for once a month, but lets face it, not a lot of new stuff happens from say September 7 to October 7. and winter the field is open to anyone that wants to fly, but thats few and far between. [8D]
Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 AM
CGRetired

Fatsky.. what I meant was, and probably did not elaborate, was that 9 pages or five sheets of paper will work with a regular first class $0.37 stamp... not that I have to fill that much, but that's how much room I have to work with before I have to move up to the 2 ounce postage of $0.60. So, I have lots of room for just about anything I want to put in there, within reason that is.

With that said though, I often fill the thing, all five sheets double side printed, nine pages, with stuff from the AMA, other sources, minutes, and so on. Members comment all the time that it is a good newsletter and to keep it up. Go to www.ac-skyblazers.org and click on newsletters and see what I have been doing.

My point is that it would be nice to get some user participation with input that they would like to see in there and info they would like to share with the members, that's all.

DS.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:56 AM
jagnweiner

CGR-

I'm not the editor of our newsletter, but I appreciate what he does. We publish monthly, and he always seems to be able to fill the space. Here's what our newsletter usually consists of:

First, both the President and Vice President write some sort of a column each month. That takes up probably a page and a half or so. We usually have some sort of event each month, some more formal than others. Accordingly, there is usually a blurb previewing the event the month before and an article covering the event (with lots photos) the month after. This takes up another few pages. Sometimes we will have articles about upcoming events at other clubs. We also have a regular "mystery plane" feature that one of our club members writes. He publishes a three-view of an unidentified plane and then has an article about the plane the following month. We usually have an article about the last month's club meeting. The rest of the newsletter usually consists of tips the editor pulls from other clubs' newsletters.

You can see examples of the newsletters [link=http://www.tcrconline.com/newsletters.htm]here.[/link] BTW, we only have about 80 members.

-Scott
Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

The other day, I was looking for 'cartoons' to put in the newsletter. Well, I ran across a site that had 103 pages of hints... yep, 103 pages! Each one with a title...

DS.
I'm the newsletter editor for our club. What's the webpage you are talking about? I too would like to include some humor, tips, hints, etc.

Here is a link to our July newsletter:
http://screamingeagles.org/files/new...tter-Jul05.PDF

Old 07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
CGRetired

The several replies that I have gotten have given me a few pretty good ideas and will use them. Thanks, guys!

RW.. here is the web page

http://www.mindspring.com/~cramskill/inkclay.htm

There are four clickable boxes. Check them out.. you won't be dissatisfied! Lots of good poop there.

DS.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CG, Feel free to reprint any of the "How To's" in RCU Magazine, or any of the pics you may have seen me post here.

The only thing we ask is that you include the line:

"Reprinted through special arrangement with RCUniverse.com"
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 PM
CGRetired

Hi Minn... can do and will do! Thanks yet again!!

DS.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM
ballgunner

Our club was formed in 1991 and except for '92,'93 and '03 I've been the editor of the newsletter. I use the term "editor" loosely as it generally means that you are sorting out contributions from the members or the officers. I am more a newsletter writer than editor as there is never a note from any officer, or commitee chairman. The mindspring site is a treasure chest for all editors. I will use it many times and always give credit to the original author. I'm just getting around to printing pictures from my digital camera which sure helps fill some of that awful white space that has to be filled before the newsletter is ready to be printed and mailed. Fortunately it is only put out every other month unless there is a compelling reason or announcement that has to be in all hands before the next issue is due. I don't have to do it but I don't have to fly, sail or run airboats either. So far I've stayed about even and get lots of compliments.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 PM
CGRetired

What is the mindspring site? Is that a good source of information, tips and so on?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:05 PM
jagnweiner

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

What is the mindspring site? Is that a good source of information, tips and so on?
Um, I think it's the site you posted in Post #9.

-Scott
Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 PM
CGRetired

Ha.. indeed it is. I just cut and paste em.. don't read em.. ha.. goofy me!! My mind must have been 'up in the air' or something.

DS.