Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 PM
PlaneBoy576

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

I am not that new to the hobby but I am looking at varius engines to get for my trainer(It is a Sig. Kadet with a 70'' wingspan)Would a O.S. 46. LA engine be a pretty good match to power this plane and if not what are your suggestions.I am on a budget though and would like to spend less that 90$##.
Thanks for the Help!!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

Consider the Thunder Tiger Pro 46. Its cheaper than the OS 46 AX, but has just as much power.

Brad
Old 08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
PlaneBoy576

Thanks for the info,I hope some more people respond.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:32 PM
thundervee

Some might disagree but I don't think the .46 la will be enough for that plane.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
planenut1965
My Feedback: (3)

Well the OS LA 46 will pull the plane but for the money get your self a good engine. Thunder tiger pro 46 are a Super tigre 45 both engine have good power and will out last the LA 46 engine by a long time. the LA's dont have bearings it has bushing in the engine and thay just dont last very long.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
PlaneBoy576

Thanks for the info I have about narrowed it down to the Thunder Tiger .46 and also would the Super Tigre G-51 have too much power
Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 PM
txaggie08

ive seen them flying with up to a .53 irvine on it.(im assuming a senior?)
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the man said, consider the TT 46pro. Its equal to the 46ax in performance at much less the cost. The 46 la is a paperweight.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Fastsky

Ya get the TT46 Pro if the budget is really tight but if the difference isn't that much I still think the OS 46Ax is a bit better. DOn't bother with Super Tigers. Too finicky for me and a rough turning carb barrel that usually jams after a while. [8D]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 AM
jester125

I had been flying the Kadet LT-40 for the past 2 years now with the same OS 46 LA engine and it has never failed me and I think its perfect for this plane.

Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
mrbass111

heres one more vote get the tt 46 pro.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

The Sig Kadett doesn't need a lot of power. The OS LA 40 will do the job, and the LA 46 is overkill. Buying anything less than an OS engine is a poor way to save money. When you buy an OS engine, it will become a member of your family that you can leave to your heirs. They never wear out. We have one that probably has had a couple of hundreds of gallons of fuel pumped through it, and it still runs perfectly!

Yes too many people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Stinger3

Ok here's my two cents worth, I have been flying a Kadett with an OS. 46 FX for 4 years. By the way it was a used engine when I bought it. I feel this is the best engine on the market for this plane. I have seen many LA engines ( on trainers ) replaced by FX.& AX. engines because of lack of power. I just bought a new OS. 46 AX for another plane and feel that it will last a good long while, the LA's do not have that reputation. I hope this helps, good luck and get her in the air. Dick
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

get an irvine 46 its a power house and the 46 la is the weakist 46 on the market
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

I suppose your talking from your immense knowledge of OS engines?

Here are a few things about the LA 40. First it gets a lot of bad and unfair press from people, usually novice pilots and old field geezers, who know nothing about model airplane engines. Beginning modelers want to quickly move up to more powerful engines and exotic planes way too soon. They disparage the LA 40 for two reasons:

1. Not enough power (It has 1 HP).
2. It's a bushing engine as opposed to a ball bearing engine.

Both of these items are factual and meaningless. First one HP is more than sufficient to fly about any 40 sized model. Next an OS bushing engine will run just as well and last just as long as any BB engine.

The LA series was developed by OS for good reasons. First it's an extremely reliable power plant that is simple to tune and relatively inexpensive. You'll notice that many RTFs come with an LA 40 which makes them more affordable. Next the engine is very quiet and gets excellent fuel economy. I was able to get 18 minutes of flying time out of an 8 oz tank with plenty of fuel left over. Finally one last fact is the LA 40 is a quarter of a pound lighter than its nearest competitor, the FX 40 or AX 46!

I have a long history with OS engines. I already have too many OS engines (inherited from my father) and some of them are antiques!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Mr Akimoto

I suppose your talking from your immense knowledge of OS engines?

Here are a few things about the LA 40. First it gets a lot of bad and unfair press from people, usually novice pilots and old field geezers, who know nothing about model airplane engines. Beginning modelers want to quickly move up to more powerful engines and exotic planes way too soon. They disparage the LA 40 for two reasons:

1. Not enough power (It has 1 HP).
2. It's a bushing engine as opposed to a ball bearing engine.

Both of these items are factual and meaningless. First one HP is more than sufficient to fly about any 40 sized model. Next an OS bushing engine will run just as well and last just as long as any BB engine.

The LA series was developed by OS for good reasons. First it's an extremely reliable power plant that is simple to tune and relatively inexpensive. You'll notice that many RTFs come with an LA 40 which makes them more affordable. Next the engine is very quiet and gets excellent fuel economy. I was able to get 18 minutes of flying time out of an 8 oz tank with plenty of fuel left over. Finally one last fact is the LA 40 is a quarter of a pound lighter than its nearest competitor, the FX 40 or AX 46!

I have a long history with OS engines. I already have too many OS engines (inherited from my father) and some of them are antiques!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

So your immense knowledge is the real immense knowledge. Impressive. Perhaps you could tell us about your immense knowledge of other, non-OS model engines. We geezers, who know nothing about model engines, can hardly wait to hear more of your wisdom.

The OS .40 LA most certainly does not make 1 HP -- real world dyno tests show it as less than 0.8 HP. In addition to dyno data, real world experience (geezers again) shows that it is, by a substantial margine, the weakest 40 size engine on the market.

Your comments re reliability & economy are valid.

Your comment re-weight is also valid --- except that its nearest competitor, the TT 42 GP, weighs exactly the same & makes 30% more real, measured HP, at essentially the same price.

The OS 46 AX & the TT 46 Pro, at only 1/4 poud heavier, make 100% more actual HP than the 40 LA, for a price that is far from 100% greater.

Please enlighten us further.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

I have no interest in anything but the best, so I have no interest in non-OS engines. Also I believe that you have been enlightened beyond your ability to absorb further enlightenment.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Fastsky

Its been my experience that the extra weight of the AX and Pro engines helps the cg as most planes including an LT40 trainer I had need extra nose weight to balance anyway. Its better to have extra weight as a stronger, better engine rather than lead slugs that do nothing. Re: >"I have no interest in non-OS engines"< this may be a valid view for 46 size engines but by this I refer to the FX and AX series. I think they are still the best in that size range. The LA series are weak and have limited uses. For larger sizes though I have an OS 61 engine although reliable, the power output isn't all that impressive, especially for the price. I have tried 3 other brands in this size range and for me the best engine is the Tower Hobbies 75. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 AM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Mr Akimoto

I have no interest in anything but the best, so I have no interest in non-OS engines. Also I believe that you have been enlightened beyond your ability to absorb further enlightenment.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Thank you, although I may still require some further enlightment. However, I do feel obliged to assist you in your own obvious needs.

The first step to enlightnment is the recognition of ones inadequacies & I offer you help in an introspective examination of such weaknesses.

Your modest and self-effacing character clearly needs no further enhancement. However, while your discriminating tastes are laudable, your perceptions of relative value are, as yet, somewhat undeveloped.

It is helpfull to expand your horizons and open your mind to new concepts. Perhaps, as unlikely as it seems in view of your immense knowledge, others here (of obviously more humble intellect and experience) may yet expand your great font of knowledge with a few hard-won grains of wisdom.

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:39 AM
britbrat

Getting back to PlaneBoy 576's question: Yes, an OS 46 LA would fly the model adequately (just). You may, however, find its performance disappointing -- both with the trainer, & in follow-up applications

Other excellent inexpensive choices are:

TT 40 Pro
Magnum XL 40
SuperTigre GS 40
TT 46 Pro

The three 40-size engines are similar to each other in output (impressive), with the TT 40 Pro having a performance advantage using most real-world propeller sizes (the sizes suitable for your trainer), while the Magnum & ST have a very small advantage over the TT if using small-diameter racing props -- which may be of interest to you later on.

The TT 46 Pro, all things considered, is one of the best 46's in production today. It offers outstanding power, reliability, durability & ease of starting & tuning at a very competitive price.

Also to be considered is the OS 46 AX, which matches the TT 46 Pro in power & quality, but at a price premium that you may, or may not be willing to accept.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Stinger3

britbrat very well done. Dick[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Consider the Thunder Tiger Pro 46. Its cheaper than the OS 46 AX, but has just as much power.

Brad
Brads choice here is probally the best bang for your buck. The Thunder Tiger .46 Pro's are a pretty well respected engine in there class. At $79 a great bargain.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
PlaneBoy576

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it I was looking at the thunder tiger and the Super Tigre but couldn't quiet tell which one was better.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Fastsky

If you want to fly and not fiddle with a picky engine that has a carb barrel that jams after a while then get the Thunder Tiger over the Super Tigre.[8D]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 PM
PlaneBoy576

Thanks for all of the advice guys I guess I might go with the TT Pro .46.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.