RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer
Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need quick Help on what engine to get For my trainer

ORIGINAL: Mr Akimoto

I suppose your talking from your immense knowledge of OS engines?

Here are a few things about the LA 40. First it gets a lot of bad and unfair press from people, usually novice pilots and old field geezers, who know nothing about model airplane engines. Beginning modelers want to quickly move up to more powerful engines and exotic planes way too soon. They disparage the LA 40 for two reasons:

1. Not enough power (It has 1 HP).
2. It's a bushing engine as opposed to a ball bearing engine.

Both of these items are factual and meaningless. First one HP is more than sufficient to fly about any 40 sized model. Next an OS bushing engine will run just as well and last just as long as any BB engine.

The LA series was developed by OS for good reasons. First it's an extremely reliable power plant that is simple to tune and relatively inexpensive. You'll notice that many RTFs come with an LA 40 which makes them more affordable. Next the engine is very quiet and gets excellent fuel economy. I was able to get 18 minutes of flying time out of an 8 oz tank with plenty of fuel left over. Finally one last fact is the LA 40 is a quarter of a pound lighter than its nearest competitor, the FX 40 or AX 46!

I have a long history with OS engines. I already have too many OS engines (inherited from my father) and some of them are antiques!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

So your immense knowledge is the real immense knowledge. Impressive. Perhaps you could tell us about your immense knowledge of other, non-OS model engines. We geezers, who know nothing about model engines, can hardly wait to hear more of your wisdom.

The OS .40 LA most certainly does not make 1 HP -- real world dyno tests show it as less than 0.8 HP. In addition to dyno data, real world experience (geezers again) shows that it is, by a substantial margine, the weakest 40 size engine on the market.

Your comments re reliability & economy are valid.

Your comment re-weight is also valid --- except that its nearest competitor, the TT 42 GP, weighs exactly the same & makes 30% more real, measured HP, at essentially the same price.

The OS 46 AX & the TT 46 Pro, at only 1/4 poud heavier, make 100% more actual HP than the 40 LA, for a price that is far from 100% greater.

Please enlighten us further.