Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Under the tree

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Under the tree

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
mrtace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under the tree

One of Santa's elves told me that there is a GP extra 300s kit under the tree for me--I didn't peek, I swear. Anyway, this will be my first kit & second plane. I am really excited to get started on this build.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any tips about this kit. I've downloaded and read the manual and it seems pretty straight forward, but i'm sure that I will run into some parts that I don't understand.

Also I am planning on using wood glue for a large part of the build. Does anyone have a link to a build thread (for the 300s) using wood glue? It seems that some building steps are quite different than the thread that RCKen is doing, like the wing construction.

Thanks for any help.

This post may be better in the Kit Building section, but this area seems to get more traffic.

Marc
Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Under the tree

Mrtace,
I'm using wood glue in the build thread that I am doing. Were you trying to say that building with wood glue is different than using CA??

Ken
Old 12-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What you need to remember is that Ken is building a high-wing Sig LT-40, which is entirely different from your mid-wing Extra 300. Your Extra has a symetrical wing and (if I remember right)strip ailerons, so it will build different than the flat bottom wing on the LT-40. My advice would be to hold off on building this plane, but instead build a 4*__ or something similar, that will use the same sized engine as the Extra.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
mrtace

RCKen,
I've learned a lot from your thread- Thank you
The 300s manual says to lay out the ribs and hold the top and bottom spars in place, then apply thin CA- The spar closest to the plans is held up off the board. I was thinking that this would be hard to accomplish using wood glue. I am thinking could I set all the ribs, apply glue, then move the spar up into place? I may be getting ahead of myself here-- I'm just excited to get started...

Marc

Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrtace

RCKen,
I've learned a lot from your thread- Thank you
The 300s manual says to lay out the ribs and hold the top and bottom spars in place, then apply thin CA- The spar closest to the plans is held up off the board. I was thinking that this would be hard to accomplish using wood glue. I am thinking could I set all the ribs, apply glue, then move the spar up into place? I may be getting ahead of myself here-- I'm just excited to get started...

Marc
Yes, you can do what you said. Set the ribs in place, apply the glue, and then place the spar in place. IMHO, working with wood glue is easier than using CA. The reason I say that is because with wood glue you have time to double check the placement of your part before the glue sets. With CA, if you part is out of position when you apply the glue it's over, the part is going to be out of place. A lot of instruction manuals these days ARE written assuming you are going to use CA. If you read the steps beforehand and do proper planning it's pretty easy to figure out how to do it assembly with wood glue. And if you have any questions you can always ask here on RCU. IMHO you'll get a better build with wood glue.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
mrtace

Thanks for the input, Ken

I think I feel another build thread coming.

Marc
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
rlipsett

A really nice flying airplane gpes where you point it but be careful on landings it is a taildragger and likes to flip over on landings if you have never flown one before and mine had a tendency to tip stall when you got extremely slow for landings. which means don't try to extend a long glide if you go dead stick.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Enjoy the build, im sure youll do fine. As for flying it, before you fly it, make sure your instrucotr tries it first then gives you the controls o na buddy box. These planes arent the best of second planes, but that doesnt matter, if you can land it, its yours. If you need help, get some lessons on that plane so you can get to the point on being able to fly it. I know that i flew my instructors mustang after getting my wings, so you shouldnt have problems either.

Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 AM
mrtace

The club member that reccomended the plane has offered to help my transition into the extra. I am really looking foward to spring getting here now. It's great, I feel like a little kid again.

Marc