Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Advice on First Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Advice on First Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Flatfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on First Radio

Hello everyone. Newbie here. I walked into the local hobby shop looking for an electric train for my son as a Christmas present. Bad mistake. I seen all the planes hanging on the ceiling and was instantly hooked. I decided right then and there I wanted to learn and fly RC helicopters and planes (with the wifes permision!!!). Now, I've been flying for years on my computer with Microsofts Flight Simulator and already know flight basics and dynamics and realize that I'm flying from the pilots perspective and that RC flying is totally different. Since its the middle of winter here, I thought I would try to learn RC flying by practicing with a radio and an interface cord attached to my computer. (I've found some programs that allow one to learn the basics of controlling an airplane or helecopter.) I realize this will not teach me everything I need to know and learn but hopefully will help with coordination.
My question is, what radio would you guys recommend for a beginner? I'm willing to spend more to get a very nice one. One that can control different airplanes or helicopters and that can operate on different frequencys. One that can control everything from a simple trainer to more complex planes with flaps and retractable gear and helicopters. It should also be able to operate with a buddy box. I know it sounds like I'm jumping into this head first, but I plan to start with a very simple trainer and to have an instructor help at my local airfield.
Sorry this post is so long. I have many, many questions to ask and this seemed to be the place to start.

Thanks in advance,
Flatfoot
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
cbr954rr

Default RE: Advice on First Radio

I would start off with a good 6-8 channel computer radio like the jr6102 or jr8103 or futaba. Buy a trainer airplane like a sig kadet and find a flying field and instructor. It may pay to find an instructor 1st and flying field because there is alwayse a used trainer for sale. I learned on the flight simulator that came with the hobbico nexstar, and it taught me the basics but still does not take the place of an instructor. I then bought the flight simulator reflex xtr and it hooks into all newer radios.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:05 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to get an instructor, you will want to get a radio that is compatable with his so you can do the buddy box thing. The difference between radios is like debating Ford against Chevy, so it comes down to what you want. If your instructor has Futaba and is willing to work with you, then you would want to get a Futaba radio that has the proper training plug on it. The same would apply if you had an instructor with a JR radio and so on. You would need a 4 channel as a minium and anything beyond that is a plus for later use. Make sure that any radio you get is on an aircraft only frequency. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The only Futaba radio to meet all your requirements is the 9C. It has the programming for airplanes, gliders and helicopters, 16 model memory(more by using more than one CAMPAC card), and interchangable frequency modules, one of which is a Synthesized module. There are also 75MHz modules available for using it for cars, boats, tanks and robots. It also has buddy box capability, for use with OR as a buddy box. It's truly a multi use radio system
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Flatfoot

The Futaba 9C sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Now for the next couple of questions. Whats the differance between FM and PCM modulation? Which is better? And will it interfere with other planes at the airfield or can the "channels" be changed or programmed to one with no one else on it? I know I didn't phrase it right but I know there are numbers at the airfield that you choose when you arrive that then are "yours" so no one else flys on them. Therefore you don't interfere with them or they with you.

Thanks again,
Flatfoot
Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay now lets take it one question at a time
1) FM/PCM-The only difference is that PCM transmits a form of morse code on an FM carrier frequency while FM transmits like an FM radio station. The PCM is more resistant to interferance than straight up FM.
2) Channels-The 9C can have the channel changed by inserting a different frequency module into the transmitter and installing a matching channel crystal in the receiver. Another option is to buy the more expensive synthesized module and receiver, needing only channel selector controls to be reset to the new channel.
3) At the field, channels are not exclusive to one person, so many people may be on the same channel. It comes down to waiting for your turn or changing your radio to a channel not presently used by another flier. If it's not your turn, you must leave your radio off. Otherwise, your radio can cause interferance that can cause another fliers plane to crash. Each club/field has proceedures to prevent interferance from other flier's radios, which are normally strictly enforced.
Hope that answers all your questions
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Flatfoot, as is often necessary when the topic of beginner radios comes up, let's take a step back into reality. While things like synthesized frequencies are nice, they come at a price. The 9 channel transmitters being discussed will end up costing in the $500 plus range. For some who are dedicated R/C fanatics, this is no big deal. For others, this is way more than they are willing to spend on a radio.

Unless you fly at a busy field, frequency conflicts are a rare thing. Most clubs maintain a list of how many of each frequency are in use. Buy one that's little used and you may go for years without a conflict.

Next let's talk about buying all the features you MIGHT eventually use at the beginning. As you've already seen, there are lots of different directions you can go in this hobby. It's hard to predict at the beginning which you'll end up trying. A large majority of people in R/C never end up using more than the basic 4 channels, ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle.

So, let's move on to some possible alternatives to that $500 plus super radio.

First, there is the lowly 4 channel starter radio. These radios cost in the $100-$150 range and include transmitter, receiver, servos, switch, rechargable batteries, charger, etc. Many people dismiss this because it's so basic. They say you are wasting your money because eventually you will need one of those $500 radios. They say this because they bought one, so it's obvious that you will too. I frequently provide a bit of balance in this forum by saying that's hogwash. As I've already said, for a significant number of people, 4 channels will last their whole R/C career. If you do buy this kind of radio it will work perfectly for your first plane, a trainer. The flight pack portion of it, basically everything other than the transmitter and charger, can also be easily moved to another plane (more on why this is important later).

The next step up is a basic 6 channel computer radio. These are in the $150-200 range, and come with all the same components I listed for the 4 channel radio. They provide several advantages over the 4 channel set, including end point adjustment (helpful, but not required, for setting up the radio), throttle cutoff (a switch that lets you kill the engine), dual rates and exponential (features you should not use on your trainer, but may want on your second and subsequent plane), and memory for multiple models (allowing you to setup multiple planes on the same transmitter and then pick the one you want to fly). When you end up wanting to add another plane to your hangar, you need to go out and buy another flight pack (either as one package, or by selecting the individual components). The cost of a flight pack begins in the $100 range and goes up. Now think back to the price of that 4 channel system, which included a fully functional flight pack.

There are several more levels of radios after this, but from a beginner's perspective, I'll label them all as advanced. Moving into this range buys you lots of stuff that you mignt eventually use, if you are one of the 10-20% who goes beyond 4 channels. This includes selectable or synthesized frequencies, mixing (the ability to move multiple servos based on one control input), programming for helicopters, sailplanes, buttons to perform special functions, and a whole lot more.

So, summing things up, if money is no object, ignore all this and buy one of the 9 channel radios that have been mentioned, or even go all the way and buy the 14 channel one, it's only $2200! However, if you're like the rest of us, their are limits to what you can, or will, spend, so something a little less capable is in order. From my experience, there's alot to be said for the simplicity of the basic 4 channel radio. It's got everything you need for learning, and if you decide to get a simulator, it will be a great box to use there too. If you decide to get another radio later, you haven't wasted any money because you've still got the flight pack, and if that fancy new radio dies, you still have the 4 channel transmitter to use while it's out for service. Oh, and something I haven't mentioned yet, eventually you're going to need a second transmitter anyway, I assume this will be a hobby that you AND your son will be doing together. Sharing a transmitter is only going to work for a limited time. A little more money will get you into the 6 channel computer range. These are still good beginner radios because they give them to grow into other planes. Thinking of getting a helicopter later? Buy one of the 6 channel radios that include heli mixes.

I fly one of the basic 6 channel radios. Most of my planes are small, in the .15-.40 range, and I like to keep things simple.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide a bit of balance. In the end, only you can decide what's best for you.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Piper Chuck has the right idea. I have 5 flight transmitters, 3 FM, 2 AM, 3 4channel, 2 6 channel, 4 are Futaba, 1 is Airtronics, all on different channels, all non-computer radios, only one of which I bought new. I have several flight packs for each. 4 of these radios were purchased on eBay, and I still buy most of my servos and receivers there. You will find you will always have a use for a simple, inexpensive 4-6 channel analog radio, even if you do go to a computer radio later. I'm getting into combat gremlins now and having cheap radio gear to put in them is a big plus. As for simulators, you can't go wrong with Realflight. Add-ons let you sample a wide variety of aircraft, and you can even model your exact aircraft with the modification feature that's built in.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:30 AM
onlyb
Banned

I have to agree with Piper Chuck and SST, I'm building my third plane now and I only have a 4 channel radio (well technically 5). Mine is a JR 421EX. This is a basic computer radio for a good price. If you wanted to buy a buddy box to go with it, it will only cost you about $50 more to get a JR Quatro Buddy Box (That's what I did).

What you said about flying simulators: A good idea would be to get a simulator for RC planes. There are several good ones on the market (for a price) and several that you can download for free that aren't that bad (but do lack a few things). When I first decided to get back into the hobby after being away for a few years I tried hooking my game controller up to my flight sim (full size airplanes) but I found that they handle differently than RCs do. An RC sim should help your learning curve when you start (with an instructor) with the real RCs.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:38 AM
tuwood

I had the same decision a few months back & I took the middle road with the Futaba 7CAP.
I am somewhat of a geek so I had to buy the computer radio.
Seriously though, I liked the idea of being able to run dual Aileron Servo's & Flaperon's which pushed me towards the computer radio's. I looked closely at the 6EX but went for the 7C becuase of the extra functionality & the dual rates on the rudder. (i don't believe the 6ex did that)
I also bought a couple 3D foamies at the same time as my Nexstar trianer so I'm taking a somewhat oddball beginner aproach.

From my research you can't go wrong with either the JR or Futaba radio's (kinda a Ford Chevy thing). I also see a lot of good things on the Hitec's

You'll find a lot of good info about the Futaba radio's & capabilities here: http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/planes.html
Also read the FAQ's because ther's a lot of answer's to capabilities there. http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/index.html

As for the Buddy box, I just bought my own for $45 bucks because I have 3 kid's & they always want to do what Dad's doing. It also takes away the Instructor compatibility issues.

I also want to re-iterate what others have said & strongly recommend joining a local club & work with an instructor. My first flight with my foamy lasted all of 8 seconds & I was buying a new foamy. My confidence was quickly grounded & I was thankful it was only a $40 foamy versus my trainer.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
carrellh

He said in the original post:
I know it sounds like I'm jumping into this head first, but I plan to start with a very simple trainer and to have an instructor help at my local airfield.

Flatfoot,
I started learning to fly in early 2002. I got the Futaba 6XAS to start. The 4 channel radios were $120-150 at the time and the 6 chanel computer radio was around $220. I think getting a fairly basic computer radio is a good choice. You can get your model set up very closely with mechanical adjustments, then fine tune it with the transmitter.

Unless your budget is 'unlimited' I would go somewhere in the middle.

Before spending any money you should contact the instructor who will be helping you. Talk about your hobby plans and goals and get his recommendation, especially concerning compatibility with trainer boxes, cords, etc.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Flatfoot

Thanks guys. After I looked into prices, I realized I still needed money for the plane. Anyway, I like the middle of the road idea. The 6 channel computer radio sounds like a good choice. I just didn't want to outgrow the radio and then have to buy another one. And besides, I have 4 kids that want to try everthing that dad does. Would you recommend new with a warranty or take a chance on one from ebay. If a problem does occur with a used one, does it take a long time to have it repaired? As in sending it in, and return time. I know, a very broad question.

Flatfoot
Old 12-31-2005, 04:50 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Flatfoot

Thanks guys. After I looked into prices, I realized I still needed money for the plane. Anyway, I like the middle of the road idea. The 6 channel computer radio sounds like a good choice. I just didn't want to outgrow the radio and then have to buy another one. And besides, I have 4 kids that want to try everthing that dad does. Would you recommend new with a warranty or take a chance on one from ebay. If a problem does occur with a used one, does it take a long time to have it repaired? As in sending it in, and return time. I know, a very broad question.

Flatfoot
Absolutely DO NOT ATTEMPT to buy your stuff from eBay. The best place for a beginner to shop is your local hobby shop, assuming there's one near you that specializes in R/C planes. If the only ones you can find are arts and craft or toy stores that happen to carry some token R/C stuff, don't bother with them. A good R/C store and your local club are your best sources of information while you are learning, support the store with your business and the club by joining. As for used, in general, it's better to start with new stuff. However, it's quite common for someone to buy a bunch of stuff, try it for a little while and then give up. If the club knows of such a deal, it can save you a bunch of money. While I'm not one for blind faith, if your instructor says it's a good deal, and he's not standing to profit from it, you may want to take his advice.

Four kids? Hmmm, that adds up to 5 radios, ouch!

Chuck
Old 12-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Thanks for chiming in guys. I knew some of you would, especially Piper Chuck. I just threw out the 9C as it met all his "perceived" requirements. I was hoping cost and other opinions would "revise" the requirements a little. I was thinking more along the lines of a 6EX or a 7C, but Flatfoot initially wanted "changable channels", meaning a 9C. I'm glad to hear a compromise was reached
Old 01-01-2006, 02:37 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Used JR since they came out in 1980. Best radio there is (Ok, I can accept Futaba too).
I would choose this one, 6 channels, 10 model memories, automatic servo trim memory. etc.
Have a look at: www.MFT.nu

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66436.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	379140  
Old 01-01-2006, 03:13 PM
rlipsett

the 6 and the 7c do not have the same veritility in programming ability as the 9c and the 9c is in the 400 dollar range at tower hobbies. the 6exa lasted me 2 models until it didn't have the abilities I needed to fly 3d profile airplanes with 3 different rates and the ability to change rates on rudder aillerons and elevator where as the 6 exa would only do elevator and aielerons