Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

never happened to us,

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

never happened to us,

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:28 AM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first time building a plane!

What Dan said is the most important thing about all this. Getting together with somebody is the best way to be successful.

The Airvista is a good plane, and they really do make it pretty easy to get it set up right... and I can understand that: I build planes for other people and I try and make the setup as fool-proof as possible. One hour? Well maybe someone could, but I think I would take a little longer... even if it's just to verify that all of the visible glue joints are good and to paint the fuel tank compartment to keep it fuel resistant.

The AMA has a bezillion chartered clubs and there are points of contact for them posted at the AMA web site. Those guys do like to hear from new people because new people keep the hobby going so they can expect to still have suppliers around in the future. They also like questions because questions make them feel knowledgeable and improtant... don't hesitate to call them, and do ask questions (even ask different people the same thing because everyone has something that they know a little more about than the rest of the guys. If you rely on just one source of info, you'll miss the real expert on a lot of things.

Also, get to know the hobby shop guys -- they like interested customers and they have access to a lot of info that they can share. (But feel VERY free to get additional opinions on things they tell you, too... they have good info, but they also have conflicting interests in your decisions).
Old 07-25-2002, 09:32 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Find the local R/C club, and ask for help. There's usually at least one member who LIKES helping newbies.

I keep telling local newbies to CALL ME and I'll come, but, just 3 have taken me up on it in the last 3 or 4 years.... (and all ended up getting thier problems solved in one visit.)

The state of the ARF is now such that I recommend to ALL beginners to get one. I haven't seen the one you have, except in ads. (which always look good...) But I doubt you'll have too much problem with it. ARFs are now tending to be as light, or LIGHTER than kit-built trainers, and they tend to be straighter than what a beginner builds, which means they'll fly better.

Expect the plane to need extra fuelproofing at the firewall. Practically all of the ARFs still need that. Use a thin coat of 30 minute epoxy painted over all exposed wood, (around the engine compartment... before mouning the engine mount) and then scrape off as much as you can with an old credit card. If the engine mount bolt holes are pre-drilled (maybe even the engine is mounted... if its a deluxe all in one package deal.) put little cottonballs in the holes while applying the epoxy, and pull the cotton (soaked in epoxy...) out before the epoxy sets up. (prevents glue sealing the holes... which is a pain to fix.)
Old 07-27-2002, 08:44 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything sig LT-25/40 great strong planes great flight characteristics the BEST trainers out there from all i've seen, period whatever you do be patient and get help it will make learning a MUCH more pleasant experience.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

The Sig LT 40 ARF with an os 46 fx is a perfect training combo IMO, my friend has this combo and swears by it the quality is the best ive seen for a trainer and ive seen a lot of trainers
Old 09-07-2002, 09:25 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default goldberg 2

Its a great airplane, and it looks good too. touch and goes all day at a snails pace.....if thats what ya like.
david
Old 09-08-2002, 08:19 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I believe its the Eagle 2 that has a strange reputation... Folds wing at appx 100th flight. (I'll double check which plane... Its either the Eagle or the Falcon...) Its not a hard thing to prevent with a minor alteration.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
bignasdy

Default never happened to us,

but we do buil em right. i remember when my buddies peashooter wing folded. That was very cool. Bad building job. couldnt handle full throttle dive from1500 ft. ha ha Build it right, Itll run with the best
d
Old 09-09-2002, 05:43 PM
bignasdy

Default wow

sorry to hear that. Never had that happen. Was there tristock at the joint? perhaps there is a problem here, or.........again.......build it right , and fly it right.
d
Old 09-09-2002, 06:08 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The problem plane is the Falcon Mark II. Needs some added shear web in the inner 3 bays each side to prevent fatigue failure near the diheral joint. (move the stress riser outboard where there's less stress being transferred.)
Old 09-10-2002, 05:27 AM
Al Stein

Did the Mark II have balsa spars like the original Falcon 56?

I've heard that Falcons folded their wings, so I built my Falcon 56 with basswood caps over balsa webs. It hasn't flown yet, and I'd rather consider changing it now than deal with the consequences later if I don't make changes that it really needs.