Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginer questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginer questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Metrocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginer questions

Hello all,
I bought a SkyScooter a few years back and promptly crashed it several times and walked away from the hobby. I am wanting to give it another shot and have been looking at the SuperCub trainer that has the ACT technology.

I'd like to build up my skills to be able to fly one of those ducted fan electric jets like the Northrop F5. Would there be an obvious progression to get to that level? Would it take years of practice with many steps inbetween or what? Hope the questions aren't to dumb.

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: Beginer questions

umm i suggest you get a 4 channel plane with a a popularl used remote brand such as Jr/ futaba and get an instructor you will progress much faster with alot less damage and find yoursel flying better then you ever though you could thats my suggest.

there are no stupid questions. We were all noob at one point or another
Old 09-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Fastsky

Flying only on weekends most new flyers at our club take about 2-3 months to pass their wings. Of course with our weather you will miss the odd weekend due to high winds or rain. Fuel wise its about 1 1/2 gallons. This is with a standard 4 channel trainer such as a Sig LT40 or Tower Hobbies trainer. Buying a reliable engine also helps a lot such as an OS 46 AX. Their are cheaper engines but for an easy to tune reliable engine with good power this engine is at the top of the list. [8D][8D]
Old 09-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Missileman

I have to agree,
Search out a local club and get some instruction or your Super Cub may well share the same fate as your Skyscooter.
That ACT that is on that Cub is a joke, don't rely on it helping you any.
A good simulator can help you progress faster and crashes on a SIM are not as costly.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Take a look at this list I've compiled to get some good ideas for a good trainer to start with.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm]Looking for a trainer, what's available. (Updated 8-14-06)[/link]

As far as how quickly you advance, that's entirely up to you. I once trained student in the spring and his was flying 3D by that fall. But he was at the field 4-6 days a week practicing.

Ken
Old 09-24-2006, 08:55 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

get a couple of moderately difficult planes under your belt before you attempt something like an F-5
Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 AM
fadi

I started 3 months ago, and was able to go solo after 5 weeks.
Thinking about it now, there was no way on earth I could have done it without an instructor to start with.
This thing is much more difficult than any beginner would imagine!

I spent lots of time on the simulator as well, and that helped a lot.
Fortunately I didn't crash my airplane yet, and I am still flying my first model. Just had to replace the nose wheel due to my first hard landings
Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sky Scooter. The basic problem is that in the stock format the plane can just barely fly. If you still have the plane and want to try it again, some inexpensive fixes that add more power/performance are:

Increase your battery pack by one cell. The ESC and motor will handle one additional cell with no problem. Depending on the pack configuration you may need to enlarge the battery compartment by using a SHARP #11 blade.

Put a gearbox on with a 3:1 ratio

Use the front part of a plastic spoon to make an air scoop for better motor cooling. Be sure to open up the outlet side of the motor so the additional air can get out

The additional cell and the gearbox make a world of difference in the flying ability of the plane.

Hope this helps.