Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:59 AM
fishy2k8
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Question

would this engine: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXBY18&P=K which i found a good deal for, power this trainer:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXJDH3&P=K ok? It says the trainer needs a .46 engine. I am a novice at rc airplanes, but not at nitro boats and cars. My dad built, flew, and crashed planes in the earlier years.Would this combination be ok, or should i get a trainer that is advertised to use a .40 engine? thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Trainer Question

personally... I am not a fan of the LA series...
they are cheap for a reason....

MANY people use them and feel they are just fine......... I've never liked them....

the .40 size will fly the plane,,,but not great

for that size I would use an OS .46 Ax...

it is a great engine and can be used in MANY other airframes... the .40 will work for you but you will be limited in what you can use it in in the future
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Cambo

I agree, i wouldn't recomend airbleed carb's for a beginer.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, that engine will fly that trainer. It's actually a good powerplant for that plane because you'll learn to fly that plane on the wing instead of relying on raw power to pull the plane around. This is actually a good thing that a lot of new pilots these days don't ever get to learn. By flying on the wing of the plane you learn to think ahead about what you are going to do. It also gives you a better understanding of what's going on with your plane in the air. As they said above it does have an air bleed low end adjustment on it, but if you are familiar with tuning an engine from you boats and cars you should be able to deal with this without too many problems.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 AM
M. Michael Meyer

I agree with Exeter and Cambo. I have an O.S. .46 AX which I used in my trainer (a Sig Kadet LT-40). It is an excellent engine. I also respectfully disagree [] with Ken on one point. I do agree that you want to learn to fly "on the wing" but you can do that when the time comes by simply throttling back on the engine. While you are beginning the extra power can come in handy. If you don't need it you don't have to use it.

When I was first beginning I had a bad habit of cutting power and nosediving the plane on final approach. My trainer realized that when I was cutting power I would give the plane down elevator. Anyway, I did it once and before the trainer could let off the switch of the buddy box I had put the leading edge of the left wing in a tree. The plane spun 180 degrees. My trainer, by then, had control. He simply went to full throttle and flew the plane back up. When I finally landed we found that, other than one green leaf stain on the leading edge of the wing the plane had no damage. I am convinced that if I did not have the extra power available I would have constructing a new trainer. [:@]

Anyway, that is just my two cents. One thing you will learn in this hobby is that when you post a question and get ten replies you will get fifteen opinion.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Fastsky

At the very least spend a couple bucks more and get the 46 size!!! You won't be sorry. If you are going to be flying off a grass field and it starts to get tall, you could easily have trouble getting up to take off speed with a weak 40 sized engine such as the LA. You might be able to get away with going inexpensive, but going cheap will get you one way or the other!![8D]
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to agree with the majority here. You not only picked a smaller engine but one of the weaker ones in that size and slightly more difficult to tune. Sure, I want you to fly on the wing too but you have to get flying first.
If you are flying off grass I'm not even sure you will get in the air. The .46LA is slightly better but the 46AX is my recommendation
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXFMD5&P=
Old 02-17-2007, 12:46 PM
pkevinb

I have the .40 LA on my trainer, a Goldberg Eagle II. It flies the plane quite wll but I really suggest getting a larger engine. Now that I have been flying for a while I am wishing I had a little extra power. I would like to have shorter takeoff rolls, and I want to put floats on this summer so I am looking to buy a .46 bearing engine now.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Mr67Stang

If you want to use a .40 LA I sugest you get a trainer that is lighter. The Nexstar is a 6.5 lb trainer. If you get an Tower Trainer it weighs about 5 lbs and that 1.5 lbs will make a world of difference.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=0
Old 02-17-2007, 02:45 PM
fishy2k8

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXCAS2&P=K i was also looking at this one... it's $30 cheaper and will use the .40 any suggestions for a nitro trainer that would use a .40. or is the tower hobbies one ok? (this post was supposed to be sent earlier.. i guess i didnt hit the buttong... anyway... i think this is what im going to get. sound ok?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM
AVGJohn

I've had both planes and also an OS 40 LS. The engine is very reliable and easy to use. Both planes fly great. But I would recommend the more powerful OS 46 AX or for a powerful engine in the same price range a Super Tigre 40 or 46, both good reliable proven engines with ball bearings instead of bronze bushing mains.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:15 PM
bigedmustafa

I learned to fly on the Nexstar Select RTF with the O.S. Max .46 FXi engine included with the package. The Nexstar is actually closer in size and weight to a typical .60-sized trainer than it is to a typical .40-sized trainer. I think a ball-bearing .46-sized glow engine is probably the best fit, and you don't have to spend a nickel more to get one than you would pay for the O.S. .40 LA:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBUX6&P=0

The Magnum XLS .46A is a powerful, reliable ABC 2-stroke and Tower has it on sale right now for $59.99. This would be a great performer on the front of a Nexstar ARF.

Another fantastic trainer ARF and engine combination to consider would be the Tower Trainer .40 MkII ARF at $69.99 and the Super Tigre GS-40 ringed 2-stroke engine for $49.99. The Tower Trainer .40 MkII ARF is made by the same folks who make the Nexstar. I'm building one right now and the engine mount and fuel tank for the Tower Trainer are identical to my Nexstar. The Tower trainer is lighter weight, so the Super Tigre .40 would pull it around with authority.

I'm using my old .46 FXi on my Tower Trainer. I know it doesn't need that much power, but since I already own the engine, I figured I'd use it. If I needed a motor for my Tower trainer, I'd purchase the Super Tigre GS-40 for it.

The $40 you'll save by selecting the Tower Trainer .40 MkII ARF and Super Tigre GS-40 engine versus the Nexstar ARF and the Magnum XLS .46A engine will pay for 1/3 of your radio system. Either combination would make for a great trainer and would be fun to fly.

For the record, the O.S. Max .40 LA is a great engine and will provide many years of reliable service. Engines with bushings instead of bearings benefit from being flown with extra Castor oil, and most of the fuel at your local hobby store is 80% synthetic oil and only 20% castor. The folks who don't like their LA-series engines would probably like them more if they ran the proper fuel mixture. An LA-series engine should be flown with 50% synthetic/50% castor fuel at the minimum, and if you can find 100% castor oil fuel that would be better still. The heavy viscosity (thickness) of the castor oil helps the bushings support the engine crank.

A .40 LA on the Tower Trainer .40 MKII ARF and the right fuel mixture would be a good combination, but the Nexstar really needs the extra power since it's about 1 to 1.5 lbs. heavier. It's simply the difference between selecting a 5lb. trainer or a 6.5 lb. trainer.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: fishy2k8

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXCAS2&P=K i was also looking at this one... it's $30 cheaper and will use the .40 any suggestions for a nitro trainer that would use a .40. or is the tower hobbies one ok? (this post was supposed to be sent earlier.. i guess i didnt hit the buttong... anyway... i think this is what im going to get. sound ok?
Sure, that is a perfectly adequate trainer. It will fly well on the OS 40LA. Of course, you can spend more money on a higher performance engine, but for what? As RC Ken said, you are are much better off learning to fly on the wing and not just powering through mistakes. Learn to fly the way an airplane flies. Trainers often lead a rough life. It's a good idea to get a sound, serviceable plane/engine at a reasonable cost. Save up for the higher performance stuff for the "next", higher performance airplane. You may find you will keep your trainer for many years to fly just for your own enjoyment, or to eventually instruct other RC hopefulls on it. Or not.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

While I was learning to fly, I used a Magnum XLS .46 on 2 different trainers, A Tower ARF and a PT-40. The PT is lighter than the Tower. I only got the Tower due to a crash so I could keep flying until I repaired the PT-40. I never flew much above 1/2 throttle while I was learning so I think the LA 40 will be OK. The Magnum was/is very reliable and cost me 60.00. I bought it during a holiday sale but they are now advertised at that price. By the way, the PT-40 (took out some of the diehedral) flew fine on a FP-40. Only problem is, what will you do with the LA 40 when you are good enough to move to a quicker, more agile plane. One more thing...the Tower will start losing it's trim pieces (the red, blue and yellow) almost immediately.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:48 PM
bigedmustafa

One more thing...the Tower will start losing it's trim pieces (the red, blue and yellow) almost immediately.
Hehe, well that's one more thing that Tower Trainer .40 MkII has in common with the Nexstar. I had a heck of a time trying to keep the trim pieces attached to my fuselage.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL378&P=7

The best $2.99 you could spend to keep your trainer looking new for just a little while longer!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 PM
tucker1865

Bigedmustafa....I didn't see your post on the subject, (Nexstar/Magnum 46.) Glad we agree. The Magnum has a chrome liner as opposed to the OS liner. Many guys were switching to the Magnum liner when their OS 46 FX liners were peeling back a while ago. They are interchangeable and half the cost. I'm not bashing OS, I have a bunch of them but I have 3 XLS engines. I just can't pass up a bargain.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:01 PM
fishy2k8

I am buying an O.S. .40 LA for $30 off of the market place. I will also be getting the tower trainer. the radio system, i already have - futaba 6 channel... it's my brother's, he has a sig electric plane but he hasnt finished it and probably wont work on it for a while so the radio sytem will be used for my plane. so i think im set on a trainer. right now im practicing on the Great Planes sim. G2.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
bigedmustafa

I am buying an O.S. .40 LA for $30 off of the market place. I will also be getting the tower trainer. the radio system, i already have - futaba 6 channel...
That's terrific, fishy2k8! It sounds like you're set then. Just remember my suggestion for flying the .40 LA with plenty of castor oil and it should serve you well. That's a pretty sweet deal finding a .40 LA for half price.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:23 PM
fishy2k8

yep that's why im kind of buying around that. so that why i decided to get the tower trainer.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:06 PM
tucker1865

Bigedmustafa.....Most fuels are 18% oil and only 1/3 of that is Castor, the rest being synthetic oil. I always add 4 oz. of Castor to my fuel. I have been told that Castor has the highest flash point and it protects against any lean runs.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 AM
hogflyer

Yes, the .40 LA will fly it, but it could be marginal. The NextStar is a 6.5 lb plane. Also you'll have to modify the nose to get the engine to fit. I was going to mount a .40 FP on my son's NextStar but found it would require surgery on the nose to fit. I'd recommend going with the .46 AX. The plane was designed for it and it's a bolt-in. Attached is a picture of a .40 LA that I placed next to he .46 on the NextStar. You can see the definite difference in length.

Hogflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42535.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	623943  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 AM
fishy2k8

ya im gunna start with the tower trainer. thanks for your guy's suggestions too.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
tucker1865

I would not reccommend the Tower Trainer. Here are some of the things I do not like about it. I bought the ARF so I could continue flying/learning when My PT-40 was damaged. First, the tank is pretty large and is installed into the formers with rubber on the inside edges. unless you cut a hatch, there is no way to get at the tank or get it out without removing the engine. Second, the engine is not bolted directtly to the engine mount, it uses metal straps over the lugs and these are bolted to the mount. Third, the fuel lines exit the firewall inside the engine mount and routing them to an engine other than a Tower .46 is a little awkward. The Tower engine has the remote needle valve pointing up where mine points inward, paralell to the firewall and it was a pain removing the fuel line. These problems/annoyances can be rectified, but why bother. You could eliminate the remote needle valve and use the standard location, but then you will have to cut the fuse so you can get at it. I had trouble getting my fingers in to attach/remove the fuel line for filling. I cut the fuel line and installed a piece of brass tubing and added another line so I could fuel the plane easier, made it longer and was more accessable. It is heavier than the PT-40 (kit built) and I don't think it is as easy to fly. Maybe I am just use to the PT. The trim will need to be attached/repaired constantly, I finally used Balsarite to adhere it and seal the edges. I am not familiar with the other ARF trainers so I can't comment on them, but I would not buy another Tower Trainer ARF for the reasons stated.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
fishy2k8

i have a question... ive seen planes without ailerons and i was thinking, wouldnt that be harder to fly? how do you straighten out your wings without ailerons? for example the SIG rascal doesnt have ailerons.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:21 PM
bruce88123

The plane is steered with the rudder. The wing requires quite a bit more dihedral to give the plane self-leveling tendencies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.