Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Betelguese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Question

Hi, I have a Thunder Tiger model 61 engine and the question I have is, when using the Transmitter and I close the throttle I notice that the carb is still partially open (eve with trim all the way down it still a small opening). Should this be closed completely or should have a small opening.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Question

It should close completely. Will it close completely with the throttle pushrod disconnected? If so, it's a radio/linkage adjustment. If not, you need to adjust the low end stop on the carb.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Betelguese

Not sure will let you know.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
dieFluggeister

Some transmitters also have a 'throttle cut' option which is a separate button that closes the throttle all the way thereby stopping the engine. That way you can pull the throttle stick back all the way and the engine will idle but will not quit. Pushing the button stops the engine.

Adjust the physical linkages first to make sure the servo can close (and open) the throttle 100%, then make adjustments to your transmitter so it operates to your preference.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Betelguese

Thanks for the help, but one other stupid thought! If the throttle closes all the way won't it stop the flow of fuel into the carb causing the engine to stop.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, it will kill the engine completely. That's the way you want it setup in order to be able to kill your engine from the radio. There are two ways to accomplish this depending on what kind or radio you have. If you have a radio that has a throttle cut/engine kill button on it you want the throttle body to be completely closed when you push the kill button. If your radio doesn't have a kill button on it then you want the it to close completely when you move the throttle to idle and the trim tab all the way down. This will let you kill the engine with your radio.

Ken
Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Betelguese

If the throttle closes all the way won't it stop the flow of fuel into the carb causing the engine to stop.
Only on a good engine
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Betelguese

If the throttle closes all the way won't it stop the flow of fuel into the carb causing the engine to stop.
Only on a good engine
It's a Thunder Tiger engine, MinnFlyer, so you know it's a good engine!

That little sliver of open carb at idle is normal. If it were closed completely, then the engine couldn't idle after being started on the ground. For a standard radio without a throttle kill setting, this slight opening should be present at minimum throttle but closable by turning the throttle trim all the way down. This will allow you to turn off the engine from the radio.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Flat-Top

its really not supposed to close all the way there should be a a very very small opening for the fuel to be transfered to the carb
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Betelguese

Yes, I finally had a chance to closely look at the engine. Here's what I found, In the engine instructions it shows several diagrams of the carb. One with the throttle down with a slight opening in carb, the other with the throttle down and trim down with the carb completely closed. So I 'assume' that the carb should close. But when I setup the servo linkage to move freely, I can't even get the carb to close completely. So I also tried adjusting the throttle lever and still no sucess. Am I missing something or is this correct?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
bruce88123

Check your engine manual. There should be something there about an idle stop adjust mentment screw.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Betelguese

Will the throttle stop screw adjust the carb opening/closing?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
bruce88123

It will adjust the max closing point.