Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

EDGE 540T ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

EDGE 540T ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
tiddy82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDGE 540T ARF

Hi,

I am still fairly new to rc airplanes and am working on a new plane. A Nitroplanes Edge 540 T 46. This build requires the engine to be mounted sideways. I was just wondering what effect, if any this has on the planes balance and if an engine requires constant and very precise tuning to keep it running at its best. I have heard horror stories of some sideways and invert mounted engines constantly stalling in flight. Anyone familiar with any of these issues?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19919.gif
Views:	8
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	680873  
Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Technito20

Default RE: EDGE 540T ARF

I personally haven't had any problems mounting an engine sideways. Seems to run well. Now inverted I have before. Especially with 4-stroke engines, it's a good idea to use a remote glow system when mouting an engine inverted. I have one plane with the engine mounted sideways, just to be safe I have remote glow set up on it as well. It's up to you, but I haven't had any problems with sideway mountings on both my 2 and 4 stroke engines.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

tiddy82,
There really isn't much difference between mounting an engine on its side than there is if it's mounted upright. The plane will balance the same no matter how the engine is mounted. What you have heard about inverted engines needing a little extra attention can be true, but as far as an engine mounted sideways there usually isn't any problems with them running like that. I have had more planes with the engine mounted sideways than I can count, and I've never had any issues with them.

Ken
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Montague

Like Ken said, mounting the engine sideways is no problem, and can help with acrobatic planes since the engine is still sideways when you fly inverted. And upright engine would be inverted when the plane is upside down.

I hate asking, but you have flown a couple other planes before this one right? I wouldn't suggest it as even a second plane
Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

The mounting of the engine shouldn't present any problems, just follow the directions carefully so you end up with the proper downward right thrust. Usually allready built into the firewall with most decent ARFs. The bigger problem I foresee is from the statement
that you are still fairly new to RC planes. The Edge 540 isn't exactly your typical number 2 type plane. So unless I am misinterpreting your experience level from that statement, you're gonna find your hands full with an Edge 540. If you're just coming off your Trainer you might want to consider putting that one on the shelf for awhile until you've worked your way thru a #2 & #3 type of plane first. Set up properly with the right kind of power source that is a fully 3D capable plane. If you do go for it with little experience the best advice I can give ya is to turn the control rates down real low & just sport fly it around like that for a good while to get comfortable with it. Good luck!!

P.S. Put some duct tape on that high rate switch for awhile!![sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 AM
tiddy82

Great advice guys. Thanks! When I say fairly new,, I meant that I may not have mastered all the techniques of building and operating such as someone that has been in this sport for a long time, thus the question about a sideways mount engine. I have flown several models for some time including my trainer for a while before moving on to my buddy's low wing trainer and then on to his super chipmunk for several flights as well. I guess it is time to stop bumming their planes and get my own before something happens and I end up having to buy him a new one. I have already thought about bringing down the control rates until I get familiar with that particular plane as I know it is a very responsive and quick plane. As I get more experienced with it, I can turn 'em up and let it rip. Needless to say, I understand where you are saying that this may be too much plane for someone just starting out but I should be all right if I have done some time on other low wing, aerobatic planes and have done fine with them, right?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Montague

Maybe. You'll probably be ok. Be sure to build plenty of speed before lift off, and keep the speed up on landing, and get familiar with how it stalls early on and at a good altitude. And set the CG towards the front of the range for now.

I've not flown that particular plane, but if it's par for the nitro models course, be sure to double check everything. You might even want to measure out the wing and run it through a CG calculator, more than one kit from them has had the CG listed wrong in the instructions.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM
elenasgrumpy

Yes going about it the right way which it sounds like you intend to do, taking it nice & easy at low rates for a good while you can probably pull it off. I actually used a Cap 232 as my number 2 plane. Against all odds & advice I did very well with it. It sounds like you are aware of what an Edge is capable of so just keep that in mind because they can get all over ya in a quick hurry if ya let them. Good luck & let us know how you make out with it.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
tiddy82

Should I turn the rates all the way down or would it be too unresponsive, Or should I find a setting somewhere in the middle. Basically, unitl I fly it, I don't know where would be a good setting. I don't want to tap the stick and it does a complete roll, but at the same time, I don't want it to turn so slow that I lose sight of it before it comes back around. Elenasgrumpy, the cap is a similar plane to the edge, where did you put your rates at?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Montague

If the kit suggests high and low rates, going with the low suggestions plus a bit of expo (25-30%) is probably a good starting point. That's usually what I go with for a maiden flight of a plane that I have no experience with.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
opjose

You could always set your high rates so that the control surface deflections are just at the recommended, and your low rates so that they are well below the recommended... say 50-60%

Leave the plane set for low rates at takeoff and fly around becoming comfortable with the plane.

Check the stall characteristics on both rates if possible.... and try to see how it will land with the elevator on low.

I normally leave the rudder much higher ( 80% of full ) on low rates, when I'm flying an unknown plane, for better control at takeoff, but I turn down ailerons and elevator for testing.

Use Expo to smooth out overly sensitive response.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
elenasgrumpy

I've allways pretty much just went with the manual's reccomended rates, both high & low. Then if they look a little too high or spooky even on low rates than I do as opjose suggested & turn them a little lower. If nothing else you could use a Trainer type plane to compare your control surface movement with.(You mentioned you didn't want to turn slow low that you had no control response) using a Trainer to compare with will ensure that you don't turn them down too low. If it will turn a Trainer, it will turn an Edge even quicker. So you shouldn't have any trouble with turning them down too low.

I also balance right to the front of the CG range the manual calls for. Then just flew it real carefull & humble like. I thought it landed better than my Trainer & certainly cut thru the wind a lot better!! In no time we were cutting it up with it, right up until the elevator halves decided they no longer enjoyed the company of the horizontal stabbs.[X(] I'm going to miss that plane!!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Don't forget... you build a kit, you assemble an ARF.