Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aerosport 40 help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aerosport 40 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
BillBabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerosport 40 help

Got a buy on an NE Aerosport 40 equipped with an O.S. 46, a mixture of 5 Hi tech and JR servos (2 for ailerons) and a battery pack. I plan to add a Hi-Tech receiver to complete the plane.

Questions :

1. Are there any equipment compatibility issues other than the connectors that I can resolve by removing the keying?
2. Where is the balance point ?
3. Is the kit still made i.e. who is NE ?
4. What was the original placement of the battery pack and receiver?
5. What are the throws ?

This plane shall be my low wing trainer. I understand from some of the flyers that they are as easy to fly as the high wing trainers ?

Clarence
Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aerosport 40 help

ORIGINAL: BillBabe

Got a buy on an NE Aerosport 40 equipped with an O.S. 46, a mixture of 5 Hi tech and JR servos (2 for ailerons) and a battery pack. I plan to add a Hi-Tech receiver to complete the plane.

Questions :

1. Are there any equipment compatibility issues other than the connectors that I can resolve by removing the keying?
5. What are the throws ?

This plane shall be my low wing trainer. I understand from some of the flyers that they are as easy to fly as the high wing trainers ?

Clarence
Never heard of the plane but that means little beside it is uncommon.
It should be a good engine assuming it's in good shape.
1. servos will work fine once keying is worked out.
2. probably about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way back on the wing chord. exact point unknown
3. unknown
4. as needed for balance
5. unknown but don't go overboard

A picture or 10 would help. Where did you get this mystery plane?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
BillBabe

Here are the pictures. The particulars are as follows :

1. wing span 60 in
2. wing cord 11 in
3. length 44 in
4. Weight 5.5 Lbs.

This gives a wing area of 660 sq inches and a loading of 19.2 oz/sq ft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69575.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	682163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68960.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	682164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48233.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	682165  
Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still have no idea as to the mfg. sorry.

balance point? OK, Do you see where the leading edge sheeting stops at the wing spar? If you balance it there or JUST barely in front of that it should fly. I would recommend an experienced pilot take it up the first time though. It might be tricky. Once it flies you can adjust the balance to suit you. Just don't go too far aft.

Looks like it will be a fairly good flyer if that helps any.

Can you tell by the construction if it's a kit or ARF? I'm thinking ARF due to the striping.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
BillBabe

Thanks for the reply. One of my cardinal rules is to always have an instructor fly my planes for the first time as I have no ego to feed. It is definately a kit and was originally equipped with a single aileron servo. After I do some minor housekeeping I will use the end of the leading edge sheeting as the balance point. Thanks again.

Clarence
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM
W7ATR

Looks a lot like Midwests, except for the tail design

Last edited by W7ATR; 12-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That airplane was produced by the same small company in the Northeast that produced the popular Twin Air in two different sizes. I have forgotten the name but it was something like Northeast aerodynamics or some such. You can search on Twinn Air in the multi engine forum and you will find the company name.

This was their single engine offering. Balance the ship at a quarter cord and it fly nicely. I have flown the almost identical Twinn Air but not the single engine.

Note on the servo plugs. If the servos are JR or Hitec then there will be no plug shaving problem plugging to a new Hitec Rx. However if you are talking about a used Hitec then there could be possible problems. You see for years Hitec offered versions of various receiver models Specifically for old style Airtronics servo plugs. This even long after Airtronics changed over to be compatible with everyone else.

This is not a simple shaving of a tab problem. These Rx's have a reversed power buss from the other hitecs and are incompatiable and not centerpin positive. Always when using old Hitec Rx check for the tiny little Airtronics marking right on the Hitec rx label.

John
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
kevinmerritt

Hey there! That is a Northeast Aerodynamics SPORT AIR 40. Produced by Northeast Aerodynamics, which changed to Northeast Aero, which went out of business about 2 years ago. That was the 2nd plane I ever built back in the 1980s. GREAT second plane, or good first low wing trainer. It can be a little fast for new flyers, and with the semi-symmetrical wing it will NOT float like a flat-bottom top wing trainer. The semi does give you a chance to do some fun aerobatics, though. Start out slowly and carefully with a good instructor and you'll be fine.

The balance point is shown in the attached photo. I still have my blueprints from 30 years ago for this one. See attached.

Good luck! It's a fun plane. Kevin

Originally Posted by BillBabe

Questions :

5. What are the throws ?

Clarence
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SA40.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1945908  
Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM
jetmech05

I don't see what radio you're using but if it's 2.4 then you have to have the same brand receiver as the transmitter