Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4 Star or SSE ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 Star or SSE ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 Star or SSE ?

I had a little accident with my 4* and need to replace it with an ARF .
Only 12 flights on the 4* , but I really like the way it flew. After looking at the SSE , it looks very similar to the 4* . Is there much difference in how these 2 planes handle ? And well the Saito 56 be a good fit for the SSE ? It pulled the 4* really good.

4* ARF $149.99

SSE ARF $199.99
Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 4 Star or SSE ?

Insane,
While they are both great flying planes, they don't fly similar to each other. The 4-star is a bit more "layed back" than the SSE is. The SSE is a fantastic flying plane that is capable of a lot more aerobatics than the 4-star is. In fact, the SSE requires more clean-up time at the end of the day. Why? Because it can roll so fast that you literaly get exhaust residue on every surface of the plane when you flying!! While that may seem like a joke, it's not. But the SSE is also a plane that tames down pretty well and is easy to fly for newer pilots. It doesn't have any bad habits that can bite a new pilot. Either plane will do great for you, but of the two I'd probably say the SSE. I've had 3 of them and I love them.

Ken
Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks Ken. I`m flying a Twist 40 right now with a Saito 72 and 14x4w prop. and use it for playing around with, very fun plane.
My intent with the 4* was to get better at my patterns and as my first low wing and it was a nice building kit. I had some reservation on the SSE, as I`m still a young pilot .
The other concern with the SSE was the engine I have, by the specs the 56 is on the low end of the of the recommended 4s size but maybe this is a good thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stick with the 4 *
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Mr67Stang

The SSE is my favorite small plane. I take it when it's to windy to fly for most people at my club. This thing takes everything I throw at it. I like mine a bit over powered so I installed an OS .50sx w/ APC 13x4 Sport prop and it will hover. Your 4 stroke .56 will be quite a bit more lethargic but that may be what you are looking for. Now I know someone out there is going to say a 13 inch prop wont fit on the SSE... I have longer than stock landing gear. If you have a .46 size 2 stroke laying around use it instead.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mr67Stang,
You hit the nail on the head about the SSE. That's why I've had 3 of them. They are such a great flying plane, they are so much fun to fly. Unfortunately I have to repair my current SSE. I clipped a tree with it that took out the last 2 bays on the right wing. [X(] But I was still able to fly the plane around and land it like that too!!!

Ken
Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SSE will roll so fast you cant count, do all sorts of crazy tumbling maneuvers and so-on. It probably has more in common with your Twist than the 4*. It just depends on what you want the plane to do. Both are great of course.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Get the SSE. You've already had the 4* & got 12 good flights out of her. Now 12 flights doesn't sound like a lot but you can learn a lot in 12 flights. for instance, what ever cuased the demise of your 4* I'll bet you don't do that again anytime soon, if ever again at all!

Like ken said it can be a real handfull & get as crazy as ya like, but it doesn't have to be that way right off the bat. You can turn it down a good few notches until your comfortable & familiar with it, then have it!!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 PM
pt40crasher

The Saito .56 pulls the SSE around just fine. On 30% with a 12x6 APC the vertical is good but not unlimited. I think the vertical would improve with a 13x4, which I have not tried yet. It is powerful enough to keep me from buying the .72. The .72 would be righteous on this airframe, and if I built it again I'd go with the .72.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Swager
My Feedback: (1)

SSE. You can always keep it toned down until you get used to it.

I have 3, and they are great planes!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
ianwynne

Hello:

Could some body please tell me who the SSE is made by?
This plane sounds interesting and I would like to give it a try.

Thanks.

Bye, Ian
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Sig makes the SSE [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig]SSE homepage[/link]
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 AM
CGRetired

I had the Four Star 40 and loved it. I eventually sold it to someone that wanted it more than I did (if that's possible). So, I needed/wanted a replacement 40 size aerobatic and bought the SSE kit. I am about 1/4 finished building, will continue more this week or next when I have some time to devote to it.

Ken mentioned to me once before that it is one of those kits that you can start and go completely through the process without stopping because of the build design, or, you can do what I do and just build a section at a time when I have time. Now, if you go for the ARF version, well, you proably can get that done fairly quickly.

I also have the Little SE electric conversion and that flys just great. Very much like the Four Star but smaller.

I had an OS 50 on the Four Star and are planning on putting that very same engine on the SSE.

All I really need to do is think of a covering scheme...

So, as far as a recommendation from me is concerned, well, I liked them both, but think I will like the SSE a tad bit better. So, this is my recommendation... SSE.

DS.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
AIRDEL

Sooooooo Which will it be Insane? Just wondering if you decided.

Del
Old 05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Actually, Insanemoondoggie, you mentioned that you wanted a plane to get better at your "patterns." Your Twist is fairly similar to the Sig Somethin' Extra as far as flight characteristics and capabilities. Maybe you should consider a Goldberg Tiger 2 instead of another Four Star or SSE. It's even more smooth when it comes to "flying on rails" flight characteristics, and a Saito .56 should fly the Tiger 2 ARF quite nicely.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Insane, i would go with the 4Star. you already have a twist and the SSE with fly similar to that, the 4* is a cruiser which may be better suited to what you are looking for. Just wondering if that gentleman is paying for the new plane for you?? You will be happy with whatever you choose. I just planted my SSE a couple weeks back due to electronic issues, put straight in the soft dirt. Maybe a balse tree will grow there now??

flyboy76
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
CGRetired

I can certainly agree with what biged says about the Tiger family. I have the Tiger 60 and Tiger 120. Both fly like they were on rails... and handle like a smooth trainer. Great planes.

DS.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I went to the LHS and drolled over a red ARF SSE , put it back on the shelf and came home. Spent a few hours working on the 4* and the fuse is repaired. Soooo I`m going to repair the 4*.
A couple of days ago , a friend took his SSE up and I took the Twist. IMHO I think the Twist flew circles arounf the SSE when it came to 3D , but the SSE out performed the Twist in pattern just barley.
I have a LT40, Twist and soon the 4 * will be repaired. I also have a GP Ultimate bipe .40 half done. I`m looking for an ARF to round out my hanger. I`m so confused ! lol ! So many pretty airplanes, I want one of each.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I went to the LHS and drolled over a red ARF SSE , put it back on the shelf and came home. Spent a few hours working on the 4* and the fuse is repaired. Soooo I`m going to repair the 4*.
A couple of days ago , a friend took his SSE up and I took the Twist. IMHO I think the Twist flew circles arounf the SSE when it came to 3D , but the SSE out performed the Twist in pattern just barley.
I have a LT40, Twist and soon the 4 * will be repaired. I also have a GP Ultimate bipe .40 half done. I`m looking for an ARF to round out my hanger. I`m so confused ! lol ! So many pretty airplanes, I want one of each.
Well it looks like your missing a warbird in that collection. I, like you, want one of each. Right now I am settleing for one of each type
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Insanemoondoggie

CG , I really thought about those 2 planes , they do look sweet. My only expierience with Goldberg was a Anniverary .40 Cub kit . Out of the kits I`ve have built , it has been my least favorite. After a few flights it hangs from the cieling gutted.

How is the quality of the tiger ,40 ARF`s ?

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I can certainly agree with what biged says about the Tiger family. I have the Tiger 60 and Tiger 120. Both fly like they were on rails... and handle like a smooth trainer. Great planes.

DS.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

LOL I have a Top Flight .60 Corsair that the wing need finished on, I`ll finish it this winter. I need more flight time while the weathers good.
I`m right there with you Mr67Stang , one of each type . then get one of each.

Well it looks like your missing a warbird in that collection. I, like you, want one of each. Right now I am settleing for one of each type
Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
rclement

You could take a look at the Pulse. Very nice plane with some really good upgrades from the 4*
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM
tonegod

I just built my first plane this past winter, my future father in law bought me an SSE for x-mas. it's ready to go with an OS 55 and new computer radio, i've been flying about 2 yrs, a trainer and a 40 size cub with a surpass 70. this is my first [low wing]. i haven;t flowin it yet, a little intimidated i guess, don't want to wreck it the first time out, so i'm wondering if anyone knows what a good mix for my throws would give me the best chance of succes, are the low settings in teh book good enough, should i sofen them even more, and or add expo?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

I just got 2 really good flights on my SSE this weekend after its maiden last fall. I've got about 305 expo on all surfaces and flew it on low rates. It's really a great flying plane, but may be a bit touchy depending on what you are used to flying. On high rates it is a lot to handle. I did a couple of rolls on high rates and it is every bit the blur that others have described - one has to experience it first hand to believe how fast it will roll! If you're not sure, have a skilled pilot or an instructor close by. But after flying an Ultra Stick 40 and then flying my SSE, I can say that the SSE is my new favorite!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Ummmm whats an SSE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.