Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SPADs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPADs

This set-up might work for a Spadet Big ED.
[link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2062]ESC $27.54[/link]
[link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=666]Motor $25.00[/link]
[link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4289]6S1P Lipo Battery $107.50[/link]

That is $160.04+shipping for one flight, or $267.54+shipping for two flights, then it is time to cool and charge.
Keep in mind, as a United Hobbies member the prices are a little less at times.

Now for the glow flier in me.

I tend to buy a larger capacity flight batteries (2500 mAh or higher), and fly all day on one or two charges, and burn a lot of glow fuel. I like glow better, just for the fact that I can get several flights in, vs. electric only allowing a few flights and a lot of down time charging (unless you have a ton of lipos charged and RTF).

Whatever he decides, I hope he has fun!

Maybe all the arguing about which is best (i.e. Balsa or Spads and Glow or Electric), will not run him away from the hobby.

I fly Balsa, Coro (i.e. Spads), and Foam Planes. I have designed both foamies, and spads, and enjoy working with the different types of material. Not to mention, the "instant gratification" you get when building a spad. For the basic designs, most can be built by a novice with little to no experience, in a Saturday afternoon. The simplicity of spads is one of the reasons they are so popular. Granted most are not the best looking in the eyes of a Blasa kit and Balsa ARF modeler, but they still fly and amaze modeler after modeler at the abilities to do the same things the Balsa planes will do. In some cases, they exceed what a balsa plane will do. (i.e. G forces and folded wings). It is true that Spads are heavier, but in my neck of the woods that can be beneficial (windy all the time).

I have a CA allergy, so building Balsa from a kit is out of the question for me. I know I could use white glue, but I don't have the patience for that, and I hate wearing a respirator, when I do have to use CA.

Just my $0.02 that wasn't asked for,
Omaha
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone is trying to drive anyone away from the hobby. Most are just trying to explain the differences based on experience.

I've built the Debonaire and one other, using the OS 46 on the Debonaire and the OS 50 on the other one.. I can't remember the name right now. They were both fun to fly, but both, as following the directions, came out rather heavy as compared to their balsa counterparts. If you don't mind the weight, and can handle the higher take-off and landing speeds, then it's alright. But I just don't think that they were light enough for adequate electric power. And, as I said, I followed the build instructions and kept it as light as I could. Perhaps my choice of fuselage was wrong, but the build instructions said to use downspout, so I did. The basic coroplast was a tad heavy too, but they all flew.

Don't be confused by some of the differences. It is basically simple.

One big advantage about building a true balsa kit is the abilty to change things to the benefit of certain requirements or desires about building. You can, for instance, change the size of contorl surfaces (I've worked on a Tiger II with some definite differences in the size of the elevator, and the length of the fuselage). A friend actuallt stick built a Tiger 60 and made some major changes in that plane, and it flys just great. So great, in fact, that he has entered some Pattern contests with it, and has done quite well. Now, you can also do that with SPAD builds. Your choice of build materials are, well, not quite limitless, but you get the idea, I am sure. You can put them together with just about anything you wish that will fly. Hey, we've seen flying doghouses, lawnmowers, witches, and whatever. Some made of coroplast and others made of other handy material that would construct

I've seen some very nice SPAD's, or coroplast aircraft that look scale and actually looked better than some built kits out there. It all comes to the skills of the builder and the attention to detail put in the model build, regardless of the construction material used, balsa, or coroplast, or whatever.

If you want to build one (a SPAD), you will find it a challenging yet fun experience, especially when you maiden your first one.

As I said, I've built a couple and flown them. They are definitely fun, but I find that I just don't have the time lately, to build one as I would like to. So, I stick with the ARF's for now. I will have time... one day I suppose, to start another SPAD project.

One thing I did do was cut out some wing sections, fuselage bodies with the down-spout, and the tail feathers, and will be offering them as prizes at next year's fun fly events. All the people need to do with them is follow the included instructions and finish the build, and select a power source.. electric or glow.

CGr
Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 PM
A6Ordie

To answer the original post.

Glow is cheaper up front and allows for more flying time because of the ease of just refueling and flying over and over again. Most clubs have lots of glow pilots to help you out. Glow is loud, messy and you need a few accessories up front to get going that makes starting them easier. You don't have to have an electric starter. You can make a igniter out of a clothespin and a AA battery. A gallon of glow fuel goes a long way in a 40 sized engine. The smell is great

As Omaha stated electrics require expensive batteries to fly that require charging, and cooling time that seriously limits your flight times. Unless you can spend for a bunch of batteries. Also batteries even if not used deteriorate over time. To lengthen their useful life you have to have an expensive cycler/discharger/conditioner. Electrics are cool, clean and quiet. You will need a charger for what ever type of batts you are using. They range from a cheap wall charger to a couple hundred bucks.

IF you are just starting out though with nothing. IMO I would get one of the RTF packages. You just about get the airframe for free with the cost savings. You get an engine or motor, radio, servos, receiver, batteries, prop, etc...

You can get the Towerhobbies trainer RTF for 225 bucks with a discount code. Thats darn cheap.

You can get the Electricstar from Hobbico for 400 thats 40 sized with brushless motor and a digital radio. Thats not bad either. It uses nimh batts which are a lot cheaper than lipos.

Build your Spadet or Debonair so when your trainer crashes( IT WILL ) you will be ready to go for more flying in no time at all. You can rob all the parts off your trainer to finish building it I've crashed my Spadet numerous times and she is still flyable. Every time I crash a Ba$%W plane it takes forever to glue it and patch it back together. Plastic just takes the noobie abuse so much better. Nice thing about Spads is how quick it is to repair or replace things. You can even make several types of wings for the same fuse.

There is something to say about having a plane that only cost you 20 bucks to build that you can fix in a hour or 2 for a couple dollars. It doesn't lessen the knee knocking, but it sure doesn't hurt near as much when you hear the crunch.

Good luck with what ever you decide. I hope I was able to help.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Sir_Benchalot

Is that a SPAD? That's a beautiful job!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 AM
CGRetired

Perhaps the best place for this thread would have been in the SPAD forum. Reason is that there are many answers there for just about all the questions asked here.

If you want to see a thing of beauty, take a look at this one.. which is in the SPAD forum, it's own thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6396918/tm.htm

This is looking like a real work of art and should really boost the enthusiasm of those that are dubious about SPADs. It is a complete build sequence of the COROCUB posted by the builder.

CGr
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Sir_Benchalot

WOW!!! That just goes to show that you can really do the same with Spads as you can with all balsa.

Benchalot
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 AM
CGRetired

Actually, if you look closely, you will see the corrigations in the coroplast. Some older aircraft had this corogated looking metal. So, it may actually be more scale looking than some models in balsa.

This is way beyond my building capabilities, I admit. I sure wish I had that skill, though. That is really a nice looking aircraft. I wonder how it flew? (if it's finished, that is).

CGr
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sir_Benchalot

WOW!!! That just goes to show that you can really do the same with Spads as you can with all balsa.

Benchalot
That's relative.

I've built a few spads myself because it's another avenue via which to enjoy this great hobby and I enjoy them. .32 GMS powered Dogfighter and a .46 AX powered Sickle.

The pis__ng matches get old though. Balsa and coroplast each have their place.

This is a SPAD Dogfighter I built. Fun plane to fly. Still need to get a video of my Sickle. That's a hotrod.

Another way to lighten these planes is to build a coroplast fuselage... though not as sturdy as a downspout when running into trees I'd think... guess people should learn not to fly their planes into trees.

somegeek
Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Guess I'll have to withhold any opinion on leukemia and syphilis, then. ;-)
LOL!

somegeek
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: somegeek

The pis__ng matches get old though. Balsa and coroplast each have their place.
I was glad to see that this thread actually got back on track and I think everybody did a nice job of answering Sir_Benchalot's original question. This thread wasn't about balsa vs. coroplast, it was about glow vs. electric on a coroplast trainer.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
agexpert

Yawn,

Just so you know, This thread never got off-topic. It's just that a strongly stated opinion is not, and has never been allowed here on the beginner's forum. If you ask for an opinion, please be prepared to hear one. My initial beginners post here was met with a harsh response from a man who was just being honest. It was probably the most appropriate response to my inquiry I ever received...but I didn't realize it until after I had soled and spent LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF ACTUAL STICK-TIME, that this man was right.

I will say it again, ...spads are junk. That is my opinion. If that hurts your little feelings, ...I don't care. You can force almost anything to fly. If that is your wish, please, feel free to do so. My hobby hours are very limited these days and I choose to fly planes that are actually capable of giving ME enjoyment. My opinions are based on MY perspective. If you only want opinions that support your insecure need to be validated, please state that in your initial post.

While you guys are busy kissing each-other on the backside, there are guys who actually want to improve their skills in this hobby. Some of them don't have time to avoid offending, being offended, being misunderstood, misunderstanding, or generally bothering with insecure wusses.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 AM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Yawn,

Just so you know, This thread never got off-topic. It's just that a strongly stated opinion is not, and has never been allowed here on the beginner's forum. If you ask for an opinion, please be prepared to hear one. My initial beginners post here was met with a harsh response from a man who was just being honest. It was probably the most appropriate response to my inquiry I ever received...but I didn't realize it until after I had soled and spent LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF ACTUAL STICK-TIME, that this man was right.

I will say it again, ...spads are junk. That is my opinion. If that hurts your little feelings, ...I don't care. You can force almost anything to fly. If that is your wish, please, feel free to do so. My hobby hours are very limited these days and I choose to fly planes that are actually capable of giving ME enjoyment. My opinions are based on MY perspective. If you only want opinions that support your insecure need to be validated, please state that in your initial post.

(This message will soon be deleted by RCU 'admin' because it will be deemed 'argumentative'. If you are allowed to read this before that happens, look at the AMA forums).

Perhaps there are too many 'admins' on this forum...at least ONE too many.

While you guys are busy kissing each-other on the backside, there are guys who actually want to improve their skills in this hobby. Some of them don't have time to avoid offending, being offended, being misunderstood, misunderstanding, or generally bothering with insecure wusses.
I want my two minutes back from reading this troll... why even post in the first place?

somegeek
Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 AM
CGRetired

It's obvious. He has something to say and said it. What's wrong with that?

Sorry for being off topic.

Just to get back on topic, I will say that I've already said that I have experimented with SPADs and have mixed feelings about them. They were certainly fun to build and fly, but found them to be heavier than balsa planes.

CGr
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
emailbanter

Oh boy, here we go again.....How many times does someone have to express the "same" opinion (over and over) ? He's just got to keep coming back for more and stir up trouble. Yes, you're entitled to an opinion, everyone one is but what's the point in saying it over and over ? Maybe you need to go do some flying and not spend so much time here....it will make you feel better
Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The first post was asking for information on the correct SPAD for a specific electric setup. All Agexpert wants to do is bash SPADs because he hasn't flown a good one in his opinion. I've never flown a Piper Cub that was worth a large turd in a punch bowl, so I guess he's entitled to his opinion. Now he's stated it, doesn't want to hear anyone tell him he's wrong because HE KNOWS ALL.

He's wrong, but you won't convince him of that.

By the way, an SPADET is probably what you're looking for but I'd still just go with gas. If you're worried about noise a Spadet with a 4 stroke 65 on it would be pretty quite and still less expensive then electric. A Debonair with a RNAF wing might also work for you.

Don't worry about the other guys, I know folks that don't think I've ever built an airplane because while I've used tissue and dope, I haven't used Silk and Dope and that is the ONLY way to build. Like Fred Phelps, you'll never convince them they aren't right.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 AM
agexpert

ORIGINAL: somegeek

Yawn,

(This message will soon be deleted by RCU 'admin' because it will be deemed 'argumentative'. If you are allowed to read this before that happens, look at the AMA forums).

Perhaps there are too many 'admins' on this forum...at least ONE too many.

I want my two minutes back from reading this troll... why even post in the first place?

somegeek
Your two minutes are granted. Please feel free to igrore and refrain from responding to posts you have no interest in. Oh wait, you asked a valid question...indeed, 'why post in the first place'?.....pure genius...why DID you post in the first place?

I am trying to help new flyers to become veteran flyers. My opinion is just that...It will not change. Spads are junk and beginners should steer well clear of them. I am sorry if you wasted your time reading my post, but I wasted mine replying to yours.

Please keep your inane whining and complaints public, it helps to prove my point. If you are not prepared to hear an honest opinion, AGAIN, I urge you to read almost any other thread here on RCU.

This is a place for the honest exchange of ideas and information about RC for BEGINNERS. I have information which I think is useful to beginners. Stay away from JUNK like spads.

Funny, you call ME a troll while I have helped dozens of people become proficient in this hobby, and inspired many others to improve. I invite you, somegeek, to become more proficient at the skills required to fully enjoy the hobby we share. Come fly with me in CA.

I have no reason to be objectionable here. My opinions are based on experience and I share them with honest intentions. I want the beginners who read this forum to love this hobby as much as I do. I really do have hundreds of hours of stick-time, and I really do care about the guys who are starting-out in this great hobby.

For someone like you, and the others who have bashed me, to sink as low as you have is telling. I will, however, continue to relate what I think is valuable information to the beginners who rely upon this forum for honest information.

Thankfully, I can only read this forum a few times a month due to business commitments.

Now learn to fly my friend. It will help with your perspective here.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Adui

I chose to remove my post because while it puts my opinion of ageexperts post in here, it does not in any way help the original intent of this thread.

If you want to know what I said PM me and I will give you the synopsis
Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yawn,
Hey, good start. Way to make sure everyone know that you have the superior intellect. And although it bores you so to give you opinion, you still manage to come down off you thrown and revel us in your infinite wisdom. Your condescension is neither needed nor is it appreciated.

Just so you know, This thread never got off-topic.
Nope, that statement is just wrong. The OP asked what type of electric motor would be appropriate for a SPAD trainer. Your answer was:

I will say it again, ...spads are junk. That is my opinion.
Now how is that helpful?

You are indeed entitled to your opinion. And I would seriously like to know on what your opinions are based. Have you ever flown a properly built SPAD? Have you ever seen a properly built SPAD fly? I hinted before that you hadn’t. And as you haven’t corrected me, I’ll wager that I’m right. Don’t worry; I’m not expecting you to admit it. Doing so would undermine your entire argument and make it downright silly.

I could say that I hate Corona, CA. I could say that it is a stinky ugly place and that everyone that lives there are a bunch of meanies. But, seeing as how I’ve only ever encountered one person from Corona, CA I really don’t have enough information on which to base such an opinion do I?

If that hurts your little feelings, ...I don't care. …

If you only want opinions that support your insecure need to be validated, please state that in your initial post….

Resorting to insults, IME, is usually the result of having nothing to back up your argument.

The difference between you and me is that I’ve given almost every aspect of this hobby an honest try. I’ve liked most of it. I have balsa planes and I fly them. I have SPADs and I fly them.

I’ve flown helicopters and I’m not a big fan of them, so I don’t fly them much. But, if someone were to come in and ask what is the best gyro for a .60 size heli, I would not tell them that helis are too expensive and complicated. I would not tell them that they are harder to see in the air. I wouldn’t tell them that helis are junk and that they should buy a fixed wing plane. I would either recommend a gyro that I’ve had good experience with, or I WOULDN’T SAY A WORD.

I am done with this thread and hope that somehow the OP got the answer he was looking for. Agexpert, if you want to continue this conversation, send me a PM or start your own thread but hijacking a post in the beginner’s forum is the wrong place to spew your ignorance.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Insanemoondoggie

All his post are pretty much like that , just over look it .
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Sir_Benchalot

I agree with you expressing your opinion(s) We are all entitled to, just as others don't want to hear/read them.
Let me tell you this.
My intrest in this hobby began when I was still building Monogram/Revell models when I was a kid. My first r/c was a $30.00 ARF (no servos kind) electric foamy that you could find at a tool store. (Harbor Freight for instance.)I flew it for a minute or so and the wind would take it away. Not high winds. No matter how hard I tried to turn it and fly it back to me, the wind would take it right back in it's own direction and the plane would get farther and farther away.

I was intrigued by my now former co-workers who started up spadtothebone.com. After seeing the free easy plans and basic design and inexpensive build theory, I really wanted to get started. I always wanted to have a Top Flight Corsair. What an awesome plane! That's waaaay to advanced for me right now. I like the idea of starting cheap. What, $30.00 in materials and $150-$200 for the radio and servos? I can do that!

I'm not trying to persuade you, just merely giving my story.

P.S. I have decided that it would be more feasable for me to go gas
I'm a new Daddy. I won't be able to afford much.

~Benchalot~
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I understand some electric car makers are putting low speed beepers like on garbage trucks when they back up.
so is this going to be a "BEEPING Spad"?
I have built and flow a handfull of spads and they have a couple of fine trainers, ie. the Spadet and Debonaire. I just gave the guy that mows the most at our field a 40 Buhor wing on a gutter spout fuse almost ready to fly just cuz he needed a second bird[8D]
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 AM
CGRetired

I had some spare coroplast from building the Debonnaire a while back. So, I cut it out to make one of the flying wing configurations, this one had the thicker coro on the bottom and the thinner on the top, with a somewhat flat bottom wing setup. The fuselage was poly down-spout, and when all the parts were done, it seemed light enough that it may be capable of good flight with an electric motor. If I have some time, I may just finish it with electric and see how it performs.

I once had a flying wing configuration balsa aircraft (Rapier Ripmax), this one had a symetrical wing and an OS 50. This thing was a rocket ship. We timed it at 121 mhp with a police RADAR gun. I wonder how the coro version would fare, speed wise.

The Debonaire flew ok, it was rather heavy, though, and I lost it one day just after take off in a pretty strong wind. But it flew ok.

CGr.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Sir_Benchalot

In all of the unnecessary bickering that resulted from a few responses, I did get my answer. Thank you guys.

~Benchalot~
Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM
bigedmustafa

I for one look forward to hearing how you fare building and flying your SPAD trainer. While I freely admit that SPADs may not be my personal cup of tea, I feel a lot stronger kinship to guys who fly SPADs than to the folks who don't fly at all.

Glow vs. electric, SPAD vs. balsa, kit builders vs. ARFs, helicopters versus fixed wing airplanes - it would be nice if we all realized that RC pilots are outnumbered by about 1000 to 1 by school-age soccer players and there aren't enough of us in the hobby to allow us to bicker amongst ourselves.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
CGRetired

Yeah, petty bickering does get old after a while.

I'm happpy you got your answer, Benchalot. We try, but often get waylayed by some of the.... well, suffice to say that we all had something to say. Some good, some bad. I've tried, built, and flown SPADs so I can speak from experience, unlike some of the posters.

But, if you do go the SPAD forum, there are many examples and plans for building all sorts of SPADS, from lawn-mowers to flying dog-houses, to actual winged aircraft That's where I got the ideas for the ones I've built, and I must admit that they were a lot of fun both in the build and the flying.

Enjoy y'self and just wade through all the bu__sh_t.

CGr.