Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel Filter

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter

Do you guys use inline fuel filters on your planes, or just filter the fuel on the way into the plane? I have an inline filter I can install, and am curious where it would go on an OS 46AX. There isn't really too much room between the firewall and the engine; a good place seems to be between the remote needle valve and the carb.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Missileman

Default RE: Fuel Filter

I only use one on my fueling line from my fuel jug not on my plane.
If you use one on the plane it would be best to place it before the needle valve where it can prevent the needle from getting plugged if there ever is any debri.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Jetdesign

k.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had and have a number of planes with 46AXs on them and when the area behind the engine was accessable (like the Calmato, TigerII, UltraStik40), I used a filter in the line for two purposes. Obvious one was to filter. The other purpose was for filling the fuel tank.

Those models had two line tanks, and the line to the filter/carb served as the fuel filler line. Having a filter in the line provided an excellent connection device. The filter has properly sized and "barbed" connections. With the appropriate size hose, there is no way the connection is going to come loose, and you inspect the hose every time you fuel the sucker. serendipity
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I filter twice. One in the fuel can and again on the plane before the carb.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm with Missleman. I just filter as it's coming out of the fuel jug and going into the plane.

Ken
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Flying freak

Il admit i SHOULD filter before the crab but i don't, i filter going into the plane, I will probably update a few setups to include filters this season. (the racing engine and probably the 4c)

Steven
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

I filter twice. One in the fuel can and again on the plane before the carb.
Same here.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
YUKONFLYR

I filter my fuel going into the tank and then install filters on all planes,

Here is why. With the tank receiving its pressure from the muffler, engine exhaust that is not exactly clean. Combustion by products methanol & nitromethane are not good,[:'(] if its going out the muffler, it can also return to the fuel tank.

Receintly I was helping yukonpete break in an EVO 61 and it spat metal back into the fuel tank for 35 minutes, requiring a fuel tank flush. If a beginner is breaking in his engine on the plane with no fuel filter and the engine spits metal as it is breaking in, then the contaminates are going back thru the engine for a second time, grinding up the bearings and cylinder liner and piston, possibly to make even more metal and creating a vicous cycle[X(]

Below is a picture of the EVO on the stand. This was in the first two minutes of the engines life, notice the dark corner at the front of the fuel tank, thats metal as the engine was breaking in, the fuel tank was completly clean as I just replaced the brass and the internal vent and fuel lines.

For the cost of a filter, I find it is cheap insurance....also you can find filters that are very small if you dont like the big Dubro ones like I have on my test stand.

Here at Performance Specialties [link=http://www.pspec.com/fuelfilter.asp]http://www.pspec.com/fuelfilter.asp[/link] , good info too about filters...

Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73467.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	916427  
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Jburry

Gotta say, I've never had an engine put metal out during break in. Making metal is a sure sign of a bad engine, imho. I'd be returning it.

I do, however, open the backplate and the head, and flush her out before I start. Should be the first step on any model 2 stroke, especially ones from budget manufacturers.

J
Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
flyX

I never thought of it like that before. I'm fully aware there's plenty of metal particals , especally during break in.
I put inline filters on all of my nitro cars/trucks..becuase they get really dirty..but not my air models.

Maybe I'll start putting them on the return lines. This way i don't have to worry about possible air leaks or the intake
line getting clog.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Adui

Hmmm.. I thought my Clunk had a screen on it. Next time I have the tank out Im going to check. I am almost sure i put a screened clunk on it though. My fuel filling equipment is also filtered so I guess I filter both..

(Hey look the new guy got something right, or overboard .. or whatever )
Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I've had and have a number of planes with 46AXs on them and when the area behind the engine was accessable (like the Calmato, TigerII, UltraStik40), I used a filter in the line for two purposes. Obvious one was to filter. The other purpose was for filling the fuel tank.

Those models had two line tanks, and the line to the filter/carb served as the fuel filler line. Having a filter in the line provided an excellent connection device. The filter has properly sized and "barbed" connections. With the appropriate size hose, there is no way the connection is going to come loose, and you inspect the hose every time you fuel the sucker. serendipity
If you're filling through the filter, then reconnecting it, you're just putting any contaminants directly in line with the engine on the wrong side of the filter(?)

My hand pump has a 'filter nozzle' that drops into the fuel bottle; is this the filter you all are talking about using when you fill the plane?

What is the disadvantage of an inline filter on the plane?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Missileman

There are other places to put a filter as well. Inside the tank in the line to the clunk. I believe at some point I even saw clunks somewhere with filters built right in.
If exhuast residue is your concern you may even be able to put a filter in that line. Although exhaust pressure is static, meaning that there is very little airflow, so I am not sure if it is even a concern.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Jetdesign

I wish I checked my clunk before I installed everything (the second time!). The manual says nothing about using a fuel filter. There is one built in to my fuel pump.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

ORIGINAL: da Rock

If you're filling through the filter, then reconnecting it, you're just putting any contaminants directly in line with the engine on the wrong side of the filter(?)

My hand pump has a 'filter nozzle' that drops into the fuel bottle; is this the filter you all are talking about using when you fill the plane?

What is the disadvantage of an inline filter on the plane?

Why in the world would anyone fill through the filter if they thought it would catch the crap from the fueling system?

But since I have a filter on the pickup in the fuel jug, I would have no problem doing just that.

Since a fuel filter in the delivery line from the tank to the carb, "the line to the filter/carb" , has two connections to choose from, you can do whatever you wish. Since my fuel is filtered before going into the fill line into the tank, I could use either connection. Matter of fact, I will occassionally do just that, because it serves to backflush the filter. And prove there are no leaks in the system from there back.

Disadvantages of an inline filter? Not if you know how to connect fuel tubing to a filter, and realize that placing a filter in a line requires that you inspect that filter every so often. Since starting to use filters inline back in the late 50s, I've never been disadvantaged by the practice. On the other hand, I've discovered bad fuel a couple of times. Once when the castor oil from one mfg was bad and had chaff in it, and once when a metal gallon can had rust in it. So I'd say the score was at least 2 in favor of having inline filters, and zero for not.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

the pick up on my filling can has a filter and seems to do well enough so I don't use them much,I do have a couple of pumped engines which recomend using a filter between tank and engine so they get em all the rest are fine without filters as long as I make sure the fuel gets at least one straining when I fill the tank.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
YUKONFLYR

ORIGINAL: Jburry

Gotta say, I've never had an engine put metal out during break in. Making metal is a sure sign of a bad engine, imho. I'd be returning it.

I do, however, open the backplate and the head, and flush her out before I start. Should be the first step on any model 2 stroke, especially ones from budget manufacturers.

J
I was surpirsed also.....When I do break one in, I check the color and output from the exhaust, usually it is not uncommon to see some dark discharge as the engine settles in, after that it goes to clear or a very slight amber color. When I was removing the engine from the stand after the runs, the tank had a good layer of black particales on the bottom of the tank. The engine did clear up after about 35 mins. Others have had a similar issue with the Evo engines and black exhaust in the first runs, as I have read in the forums here....

The above example with picture, is extreme and is not that common. Many people only filter going into the tank and have no issues.....However if you do have an issue, well a filter is cheap insurance....

Richard
Old 03-29-2008, 03:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't think of who makes it, but I have seen one on Tower like I bought at the LHS. It is clear plastic with two sizes of screens and polished alum ends. It is thin enough one could be used on the clunk line in the tank. I am at work or I would put a pic of it. I always use one now. I once was lazy about it. I had an engine I could not tune. I pulled the carb apart and found a small plastic shaving in the spraybar. It was a piece of the tank.

David
Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
opjose

That would make EVERY Evolution glow engine bad.

They ALL do this, every single one.

It stops after a while.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Adui

ORIGINAL: opjose

That would make EVERY Evolution glow engine bad.

They ALL do this, every single one.

It stops after a while.

Hmmm, Hate to bad mouth a company, but I dont hear much good about Evolution motors, and then only on the forums occasionally. Everyone I fly with dont like em. Add to that, the one that came with my Trainer was a pile of junk. I always assumed it was my lack of after run care that did it in, but now Im not sure..
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The two piece clear with the two screens is the Crap Trap. I have one in line on my fuel can and one in line on most of my planes, should be all of my planes but sometimes I don't have the filters in stock.
I used to use the smaller two piece filters that you unscrew to clean but I have had them leak and seen them come apart.
Why have the two filters?? I have had A fuel line clog from mold flashing from inside A tank even after I cleaned it out before I installed it. I fly on A dry lake and the engines do tend to suck up grit and it finds it's way into the tank over time.
Always put some fuel in A new tank and shake it good then dump it out. You would be surprised at what comes out of them.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Chondar

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I can't think of who makes it, but I have seen one on Tower like I bought at the LHS. It is clear plastic with two sizes of screens and polished alum ends. It is thin enough one could be used on the clunk line in the tank.

Sullivan makes it. It's pictured in the bottom third of the page at http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Fuel...ntsContent.htm

Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Adui

Hmmm, Hate to bad mouth a company, but I dont hear much good about Evolution motors, and then only on the forums occasionally. Everyone I fly with dont like em. Add to that, the one that came with my Trainer was a pile of junk. I always assumed it was my lack of after run care that did it in, but now Im not sure..
You'll here some of us who ACTUALLY own them, complain about a few models ( such as the aweful 1.00 NX ), but most of the other models, including the one in your trainer are WONDERFUL.

There's merely a few "gotcha's" that may foul up someone not used to these engines.

Once you deal with these things the engines are strong and reliable.

But they ALL produce the grey metallic goo, so a filter is a good idea with them.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Adui

Good info Opjose,

Unfortunately too little too late fort he poor old .46 evolutions motor mine came with. I still assume it was my lack of knowledge and therefore lack of after run care, but the main bearing rusted out and the last time we ran it it rattled a lot and had no power at all. Soo, I replaced it with an OS FX .46, I'm so pleased with the power from this motor I will never go back!

However, if you know how to replace bearings Id be more than willing to part with the Evolutions motor for little more than shipping cost. (Dont happen to have a spare JR receiver crystal for channel 45 do ya? LOL)
Warning should you take me up on that, the old motor has been sitting on top of a shelf for the better part of 5 years collecting dust..

For any interested my instructor of those days gave me a good lecture on proper engine care when he helped me obtain and install the OS motor.