Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito Twin / Propeller Question?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito Twin / Propeller Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 AM
ckelloggjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Twin / Propeller Question?

I have a Saito FA-90TS Flat twin. It starts and runs in a CLOCKWISE direction. Does this mean that I need a propeller with reverse pitch since most engines run counter clockwise?

thanks,

ckelloggjr
Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Saito Twin / Propeller Question?

Clockwise as you look at it from the front?

Does it run well? Full Throttle?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
F-15 Fan

Are you using an electric starter? try that.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Yours should run counter clock vise seen from the front of the engine. Use an electric starter!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
ckelloggjr

Yes. From the front The manual clearly states clockwise. I have had it running on the bench. It seems to run OK, but the prop is blowing in my face as I face the prop. the air should flow back over the plane. As it is right now, it is not. It has a right hand thread. I am getting concerned.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:46 PM
KWJ48

You only turn the prop clockwise (looking at the engine crankshaft ), by hand to the compression stroke. This is to get good momentum to start the engine COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I looked at the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/SAITO_Twin-Cylinder_Four-Stroke_Manual.pdf]manual[/link] and it says (step 6) to prime your engine turning the prop COUNTERCLOCKWISE 2-3 turns. Then (step 7) clockwise to the comp stroke. COUNTERCLOCKWISE is the direction you should start it and run. The manual is a bit misleading. Also the manual does not recomend any pusher props only standard props.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be concerned as this is really not a problem. Try doing as KWJ48 instructed. I'd be serious cash it will work fine.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 AM
ckelloggjr

I worry because there's nothing to worry about! I really do appreciate all of your inputs. I am going to bnch test it again today running it CCW. We'll see. I am sure it will be OK too.

Thanks,

ckelloggjr
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
ckelloggjr

Thanks to everyone! I bench tested it starting it CCW... it ran like a champ. Now I have to wonder why the right cyl. runs 40-50 degrees hotter than the left???? Any thoughts?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Are you a beginner in this hobby? If so, isn't that quite a complex and serious piece of equipment for a beginner? If you are experienced, well, ok, then.

CGr
Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: ckelloggjr

Thanks to everyone! I bench tested it starting it CCW... it ran like a champ. Now I have to wonder why the right cyl. runs 40-50 degrees hotter than the left???? Any thoughts?

Good. As CG mentioned, this is quite a complex engine for a beginner, but perhaps I can shed some light on the uneven cylinder temperatures. The Saito 90TS is a two needle valve engine. One cylinder is running hotter because it is running leaner. Did you adjust the needle valves as the book specified? There's a certian procedure that must be followed with flat twins. What airplane is this going in?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 PM
ckelloggjr

The FA-90TS is NOT a 2 needle valve engine! It is a single carb, single needle valve engine. I fail to see what the compexity or simplicity of this equipment and/or my experience level has to do with anything. If I felt the need to defend my experience or abilities, I would say that I am very mechanically inclined and experienced.

The manual is written VERY poorly and leeds the reader to beleive that the engine runs CW. This and the other questions were honest, legitimate questions that I would have appreciated answers to, and perhaps someone will provide some. If not, I will get by.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: ckelloggjr

The FA-90TS is NOT a 2 needle valve engine! It is a single carb, single needle valve engine. I fail to see what the compexity or simplicity of this equipment and/or my experience level has to do with anything. If I felt the need to defend my experience or abilities, I would say that I am very mechanically inclined and experienced.

The manual is written VERY poorly and leeds the reader to beleive that the engine runs CW. This and the other questions were honest, legitimate questions that I would have appreciated answers to, and perhaps someone will provide some. If not, I will get by.
I apologize if I mistook the 90TS for a twin needle engine, but I had looked online and it appeared that's what it was. I have never personally operated this exact model. I never claimed your questions to be anything but honest and legitimate and attempted to answer them to the best of my abilities. Perhaps I made a mistake, it doesn't happen often but I am human.

One of the luxuries of face-to-face communication is voice inflection. We don't have this sense online, but I assure you my comments were not written in a dismissive or patronizing tone.

You're right, you can operate any engine you want - it's yours. Before you dismiss me as a dunce, please glance at this situation from my perspective. Every week I see somebody enter the hobby, get too ambitious, and exit in frustration. I don't want this to happen to you.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM
ckelloggjr

No problem. I apologize for my abruptness. I am building a Great Planes .60 Piper Cub. I have the engine mounted and the cowling fitted. It's pretty exciting. I have always been the type to go all the way the first time. Why "dabble" ya know? I thought having real jugs sticking through the cowling - instead of fakes - was the only way. Here is a couple of shots of her so far... I am learning VERY much as I go along. This forum has been one place I can turn for good info. I will be installing a Sullivan on-board glow system, etc..., etc... I had a (new) friend make me the motor mount at his machine shop. If you'd like I can send a few more pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50238.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	932912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36341.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	932913  
Old 04-19-2008, 10:15 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I may be way off base here, but doesn't more air come off of the left side of the prop disc than the right side? Maybe not by much, but isn't this the cause (or effect) of "P" factor?