Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 40 Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 40 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alpha 40 Trainer

Alpha 40 is a great trainner I learned how to fly with it,and once you learn it will to basic stunts as well. I would say if you can just learning to get advice from someone at your local flying field before you fly so you can make sure everything is right before your maiden flight, WELCOME TO FLYING HOPE YOU AND YOUR SON LOVE IT AS MUCH AS THE REST OF US DO!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Korvettes

I did a lot of research and purchased a RTF Alph 60 (yes you can still find them in some shops on the internet). Flew it for the first time last night with a couple of trainers. Started up immediatly with no problems. The first trainer ran it out onto the runway and up it went. Took it around once and brought it back down as I thought there was a problem. He sd that he just had to move the rudder one click on the trim and he was ready to hook up the buddy box. Flew it 4 times and only had the trainer take over once because I got a little out of hand on a turn. Both of the trainers sd that this was the easiest flying plane they had ever taught on.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
mwoodman
My Feedback: (1)

I read this post with a great deal of interest, as I have just purchased the Alpha 40 RTF, and am preparing for my initiation into this exciting new hobby. I do have a couple of questions tho:

1. Should the plane always be flown with the supplied 3 blade prop (10.5 x 4), or once competent, is there an off the shelf prop that will "enhance" the performance?

2. The only plug listed as compatible is the Hangar 9 2-cycle super plug, and the information on that plug seems to be sparse. Can anyone recommend a different plug to run with it?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: mwoodman

I read this post with a great deal of interest, as I have just purchased the Alpha 40 RTF, and am preparing for my initiation into this exciting new hobby. I do have a couple of questions tho:

1. Should the plane always be flown with the suppled 3 blade prop (10.5 x 4), or once competent, is there an off the shelf prop that will "enhance" the performance?

2. The only plug listed as compatible is the Hangar 9 2-cycle super plug, and the information on that plug seems to be sparse. Can anyone recommend a different plug to run with it?

Once I soloed mine, I started using 11x6 APC props. I use the Great Planes spinners with the aluminum backplates. You will notice a huge performance increase with the new prop. The 3 blade props that H9 puts on them really slows the plane down well. They just get expensive if you break a few.

You can pretty much use any plug. I can't remember the ones I use off the top of my head. I'm thinking they are OS 8's?

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
opjose

1. Should the plane always be flown with the supplied 3 blade prop (10.5 x 4), or once competent, is there an off the shelf prop that will "enhance" the performance?

The included prop is great when you are getting started.

It's designed to make the plane easy to handle, since the oblique pitch slows the plane down when you need it. It also prevents the newbie from overspeeding the plane as well.

As indicated later after you've soloed and certified, it's advisable to change out the prop for an 11x6 for better performance.

Any mid range 2 stroke, glow plug will do fine. I'd suggest the inexpensive Tower Hobbies plugs, etc.

If you were to mount that engine inverted into another plane it may then be advisable to switch to a "long" plug, much like those used in 4 stroke engines.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
zbird

I also started out with the alpha 40, Great flying plane. I removed the 3 blade prop that came with it and replaced it with 2 blade 11-6 acp. You will need to take off the heavey flywheel/driver and replaced it with the standard prop driver (evolution part number EV0040219). This seemed to give me more pull on take offs.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
mwoodman
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mclina

1. Should the plane always be flown with the suppled 3 blade prop (10.5 x 4), or once competent, is there an off the shelf prop that will "enhance" the performance?

Once I soloed mine, I started using 11x6 APC props. I use the Great Planes spinners with the aluminum backplates. You will notice a huge performance increase with the new prop. The 3 blade props that H9 puts on them really slows the plane down well. They just get expensive if you break a few.

You can pretty much use any plug. I can't remember the ones I use off the top of my head. I'm thinking they are OS 8's?

Good luck.
How do u find out what size spinner to install with a 2 blade?

Thanks for all the useful comments so far, I am sure I will have a bunch of questions as time progresses
Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
alfredbmor

A 1 1/2" or a 2" diameter Dubro will do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the new Alpha RTF spektrum 2.4 package...
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jubei

I second the new Alpha RTF spektrum 2.4 package...
If you can find one.