Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer or Stick for first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer or Stick for first plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer or Stick for first plane

I'm looking to get back into RC after a 20+ year layoff. I used to fly a Ugly Stick as my 2nd plane after getting signed off.

My question is, should I start with a high flat wing trainer, Avistar as an advanced trainer, or go for one of the newer 40 size GP Big Stick or Hanger 9 Stick?

My ego says go for the stick so I don't out grow it quickly, and the other half says your older now, reflexes are slower, better start out easy.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Trainer or Stick for first plane

gregoryda,
Flying is a lot like riding a bicycle. You never really forget how to do it, just get a bit rusty. If you used to fly then I would recommend two things, the stick and an instructor. Just explain to the instructor that you used to fly and need a safety net as you get back in to. Most instructors will be more than happy to work with you to shake the cobwebs off as you get back into the sport.

Ken
Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
cleansho93

I would say go with the stick being that you were previously into this hobby. It has been 20+years but it will come back to you quick. I have only been flying my superstar .40 trainer for about 3 weeks now and I'm already looking at my next plane. 3 weeks ago was my first flight with a nitro plane and I am now doing loops, rolls, inverted flight etc... and I'm working on my 4-point rolls (which is a little tricky with this high wing trainer). You will do fine just take it easy until you get your confidence back.

Happy flying!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Flying RC can be a lot like riding a bicycle. Once you learn it, it stays with you. You'll find that it's all in the reflex, just like typing. And besides, a Stik can be made to fly quite docile, and then livened up with more travel on the control surfaces. Now, unless you're into aerial photography and need a stable platform for all that expensive equipment, I'd get the Stik. Save the utility plane (trainer) for when you need to earn more money to pay the mortgage.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

I've been reading that the Avistar is a good all around plane to start with as it is capable of a bit more aggessive manuvers than a typical flat wing trainer. So I'll clarify my opening statement and say Avistar vs. a Stick. Does that change your opinion or should I stick (pun) with the Stick and set the dual rates to 1/2 to start with?

DG
Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Having learned on an Avistar and transitioning to an Ultra Stick 40, I would definitley agree that if you have prior experience, go with the Stick and an instructor.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
opjose

Yup, you are far less likely to tire of the Stik at this point.

Fly it with low rates and it is much like a trainer, once you are comfortable set your high rates and let'er rip!