Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Got my first planes. Woo Hoo!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Got my first planes. Woo Hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got my first planes. Woo Hoo!

Well, I went to the field today, but was unable to fly due to the wind. It was so gusty that my instructor wouldn't even take out his Guiles 202. We waited and shot the breeze for about 3 hours before we gave up for the day. BTW, I also found out that I've been flying flaps up. That's right, I've been flying it without flaps My instructor didn't put the flaps down (I installed the flap servo) even though I did tell him prior to flight that the flap servo was installed, and I didn't think to ask about it until today. Go figure.

On a good note, I finally got my AMA member card and number today. I'm stoked and ready to go at it again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have the finishing touches on the Yak so I can at least take it to the field tomorrow to show the guys and do a maiden run up.

Happy flying.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Tom has you on the right path. The simulator time you are putting in will certainly help. The weather report looks like it may be to windy today as well and possibly rainning. Hopefully it will get all that out of it's system by the time I get back

I've been instructing two new pilots here on the weekends and have notced a great difference between the two. The one with simulator experience is advancing much more quickly. Practice flying the P-51 on Realflight. If you can gt to the point where you can smoothly land that plane then you've got it... dile in a little cross wind when you think your good as well... You will notice at our feild there is almost always a cross wind.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
mydartswinger

You're right, it was too windy to fly today. However, I did get to run 2 break in tanks through the Yak today. Found a little issue with it that I'll have to work on before I run it again, but no big thing. That's why I took it out there today knowing that I wouldn't even try to fly it. Need to shim the motor so the prop doesn't hit the cowling, and shim it so it won't be angled to the left.

I spent a year in Afghanistan flying Realflight and got pretty good with the Mustang and the other planes on there (except turbines). When I bought my 2 planes, I also picked up a copy of FSOne. It flies a little bit more difficult (read: real) than RealFlight. On FSOne, I've been flying all of the Mustangs (all PTS steps and the 150 Mustang), as well as some of the other aircraft on it. Since the wind has been a bit gusty, I figured I'd set it for 16mph from the East (left hand pattern) and turbulent. I won't try to fly the real thing like that, I could dang near hover the PTS step 1 wings level and parallel to the ground. I haven't noticed any crosswind at the field. Our ribbon is usually straight down the runway, and I don't feel it either.

Later.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM
mydartswinger

Went to the field today and got in a flight and a takeoff. Our field has 2 instructors, Tom (who has been teaching me thus far), and Mark. Tom seemed to be out of town this weekend due to the holiday, so Mark was my instructor today. After not getting my DX7 to recognize Marks' Futaba radio as a "trainee" for the buddy box, we were able to borrow another pilot's JR S400 and get it to be recognized. Since the S400 is not a computer radio, we were having some trim issues with it (full left aileron and down elevator trim, but still had a right roll and pitch up). Despite this, it was not so bad that it could not be flown, so we took it up. Flight conditions were a bit gusty with a mild crosswind to the planes left, but not unflyable. I performed the takeoff and made a couple of patterns with it being out of trim, but was fighting with it the entire time. I attempted a trim, but had issues locating the trim tabs without visual, so I had Mark take over while I looked for the trim tab. This was only to find what I knew, but didn't remember, I couldn't trim it anymore in the proper directions. So I took back over and began shooting approaches. My first few were a bit high, but I was able to bring it down on the runway with a few bounces. At one point I temporarily lost orientation of the airplane because the wind/trim kept making the plane rock and I got a bit confused with it's reactions. A few more approaches/landings and takeoffs. Then the final landing was a 3 point greaser right in front of us, no bounce whatsoever.

We let the plane cool off a little bit, but noticed a storm rolling in. It was far enough out that we could get in another flight. This time, we nixed the buddy box. Mark was by my side in case I got in trouble and needed him to take over if we had time for a Tx handoff. Taxi and hold, control check, taxi to takeoff position, and ease into full throttle. The plane makes it a few feet down the runway and starts it's liftoff, then it happens. The engine begins to lose power. I didn't foresee enough room to make a safe landing on the departure end of the runway. I cut the throttle a little bit hoping that would help (I've seen nitro engines do this, including my OS .61 FX on the Yak's first 2 run-ups). That didn't help, so full throttle. The plane dies at 6 ft. off the deck on departure end of the runway. Deadstick and no time to hand over the Tx. The plane came down nose forward on the mains causing the nose to hit the ground. The landing was rough, and almost off of the runway. I approached the plane fearing a broken cowl, motor mounts, prop, and bent engine shaft. Fortunately, it was not that serious. The only damage done was both mains were slightly bent. I put it on the startup stand and attempted a startup. It started the first try, I richened the mixture by about 1/4 turn, opened the throttle a few times, and didn't seem to have any more issues. I then killed the engine, and put her up for the day. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Later.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM
mydartswinger

Went back to the field today. I managed to get in 1 nice flight with Tom. I made several passes to get the buddy box trimmed out (yes, I was able to trim it myself). Then Tom took control to get the master trimmed. We had to totally re-trim them today because I got the JR SX600 Tx that came with the Mustang set up as the buddy box and my DX7 as the master. I did that so whenever I go to the field, no matter which instructor is there, I will be able to fly (Mark uses Futaba, and the DX7 wouldn't pick it up as a trainee). Once all trimmed out, I began making approaches and landings. Made several nice landings (a couple of which were 3-point greasers), with only one time being when Tom took over the controls when I tried to "make a good landing out of a bad approach". Once it was time to bring her in for re-fuel, I brought her in for a nice landing. Then on taxi back to the "deadline", we noticed that the right wing was nearly dragging the ground while the left was still at normal height. Not good. Upon shut-down and further inspection, the hole where the landing gear in inserted in the wing was damaged inside from yesterday's deadstick, and was aggravated by a few bounces today. Maybe a bit of epoxy will have her good to go for next weekend. Oh well, that is all part of the hobby we chose.

Happy flying.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
mydartswinger

I finally soloed today!!!!! After about 5 weeks of flying, I finally did it today. The first flight of the day was on the buddy box with Tom. After we landed, he asked me if I felt comfortable flying the plane. I said yes, and he yanked out the trainer cord and handed me the Tx. I put at least 4-5+ solo flights in after that. What an awesome feeling. I was nervous on my first solo, but began to have a blast on the second and later solo flights. So much so that I was making inverted downwinds, loops, rolls, stalls, snap rolls, sharks teeth, fast passes, slow passes, split S's, and a few touch and goes. I did try to make an inverted pattern, but nearly lost it and recovered, so I held off on that for a later date when I have more experience under my belt. Heck, I was even chasing down a Phoenix Model's Yak 54 with an OS .46 on it (probably had to much prop for speed). The configuration for all these flights on the PTS Mustang was no speed brakes, fully functional flaps with a working flap/elevator mix, 11x6 MA prop, and the NACA droops still in place. Later.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mydartswinger,
Way to go!!!!!! You have just experienced what has to be the best feeling in the world!!! Now everybody is gonna wonder what that smile on your face is for!!!

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20590.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	998237  
Old 07-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Mr67Stang

Congrats man! I'm sorry I missed it (working Saturdays now really sucks). I imagine I will see you out there today though
Old 07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
mydartswinger

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DYLJJ9PNK59F8WGL/theater#theater_title]Here's[/link] a link to a video of my second flight today, my second day after soloing.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
BigHog
My Feedback: (1)

Nice flying, and great video. Cheers!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
mydartswinger

For anyone that has followed this thread with any interest at all and have not seen my other posts, I have some updates. The Mustang is now "clean" without any training aids, plus an OS .55AX swinging an Evolution 12x8 prop. I'm flying the heck out of it now, even working into a bit of formation flight (still about 50+ feet apart). The Yak now has 3 flights under her. The first was the maiden done by mr67stang, and #2 & 3 were on the buddy box. She's fun in the air, but still a bit scary on landing. More practice and I'll be there soon enough. I also picked up a Great Planes Tiger Moth with a 71" wingspan, Magnum XLS 91A 2-stroke w/ Pitts muffler, and a Zinger 14x6 prop. I was able to maiden (I should say re-maiden, as I picked her up used) her myself. She's a nice, slow flyer that looks great in the air. She floats in on landing. She scared me at first because she was a bit too "floaty" and a bit more difficult to keep oriented than I'm used to (solid yellow CS). After the first couple of flights, she was easy for me to handle, making her a plane I can fly when I want to relax a bit. I'm also working on a Nitro Models Extra 260 that has been crashed pretty hard, but is repairable. The majority of the damage is in the front end and formers back as far as behind the canopy. Something to work on my repair and covering skills.

Later.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Nice landings Dart. Can definitely see the sim time you've spent with soft floaters like that. You should get into kit building, I bought a Sig 4* kit to build (my first) and haven't looked at an ARF since finishing it. I enjoyed building it so much I'm about 80% done with the Corsair I started about 3 weeks ago. Keeps you content on those days you can't fly and is almost therapeutic. If your pumped now...wait until the first plane you built yourself leaves the runway.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Nice landings Dart. Can definitely see the sim time you've spent with soft floaters like that. You should get into kit building, I bought a Sig 4* kit to build (my first) and haven't looked at an ARF since finishing it. I enjoyed building it so much I'm about 80% done with the Corsair I started about 3 weeks ago. Keeps you content on those days you can't fly and is almost therapeutic. If your pumped now...wait until the first plane you built yourself leaves the runway.
The Extra 260 he is rebuilding is darn neer a kit build Knife edge pass about 12 ft off the runnway and a loose antenna in the Tx equals SMACK DOWN. Luckly I rolled her flat before she hit so the wings were not damaged[:'(] So I donated it to MDS so maybe he will get rebuild experience from my crash as opposed to his own

Hey MDS, I have a new plane I want you to fly... Sig Rascal 110... 9 ft of wing span
Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 AM
mydartswinger

I'll be out there around lunchtime (depending on weather, as I haven't checked today), probably starting of with a flight on the Moth. Willie will be out there today as well, and bringing his CG Skylane 62. We did a bit of work to it last night. One of those things we did to it was to remove the baffle from the muffler (a little "restrictor plate" inside the muffler that can be just popped out). That Evolution .46 (the one that was in my Mustang) is much more responsive and sounds great now. He's now thinking about doing that to his Mustang, but wants your opinion of the difference between it and the Skylane first, as well as if you think he's ready for it. Last Sunday, Mark said that if he was his student, he would've cut him loose then, but since he's your student, he said that that's your call. See ya at the field.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Mr67Stang

I am of course at work today so I would not expect to get out there sooner than 4pm... But if I can sneek out early today I will
Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 AM
mydartswinger

I should still be out there then. Heck, I usually stay there until 5-7. I'll see you whenever you get there.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 PM
mydartswinger

Well, after nearly 2 months of inactivity here in this thread, I have a few more updates. I've been flying the Yak solo now for a while and loving it (despite having to keep repairing the cowl mounts nearly every weekend that I fly her).

I've also picked up a couple more planes that I'm flying. The first, and probably my favorite (if I can ever get her to run right), is a CG Decathlon powered by an OS .91FX. She's a lot of fun to fly and glides well (I've had to deadstick her in just about every time I've flown her). I've also got my first iron on covering experience with this plane, as I had to build a new wing strut from scratch. I actually enjoyed covering it, despite the fact that it didn't turn out great, but it was functional (albeit a bit flimsy, as it's made out of light ply instead of bass wood).

The second of my new planes is a The World Models Nemesis 52 Formula 1 Reno Racer, powered by the OS .55AX out of the PTS Mustang (more on that in a minute). The Nemesis is also a fun plane to fly. She's pretty much all "yank and bank", but she is capable of aerobatics. I took all the gear out of the Mustang to go in the Nemesis so I can give the Mustang some much needed TLC.

The Mustang has been my "go-to" plane since I began flying, and have flown it nearly every time I go to the field (barring her needing the repair to the LG block mentioned above). I wasn't going to the field without the Mustang until about 2 weeks ago, when I stripped her down and put her gear in the Nemesis. My plan is to completely strip the covering off of her, repair some minor wood damage (just a few cracks here and there), attempt to dry up some fuel soak, repair the LG block area properly (re-sheeting the area, since the block itself is holding well), brace any areas that may need it (IE around the firewall, as I've seen this as a weak point in a minor crash) "fuel-proof" areas prone to fuel soak, re-cover in the trim scheme of "Obsession", and install a Saito FA-82. Hopefully, I'll have her ready by spring.

Also in the last 2 months, I have crashed my E-Flite Blade 400 and let her sit on the shelf until this week. I haven't been to concerned about my helicopters until this past Sunday when a member brought out and flew is Thunder Tiger Raptor 90 heli. That is a beautiful bird that he flies very well. So well, in fact, that it made the heli bug bite me again. Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving my planes and don't plan on taking a break from them. I picked up the parts and finally got my Blade 400 repaired this evening. Before putting the blades back on her, I plugged up the battery to check for vibration (neccessary on a heli to make sure that everything is good to go so if it vibrates when the blades are installed, you know it's something to do with the blades), spun her up, and she ran smoothly. I then attached the blades, plugged in the battery, spun her up, and checked the blade tracking. They were a bit off, so I used a Sharpie to mark on one of the blades, spun her up again, and began adjusting the marked blade until the head tracking was good. While checking and adjusting the tracking, I made the mistake of only holding one skid. When I pulled the left stick (collective) back, she tipped over to the right (the side I was holding on to), and the blades nicked my arm, putting about 7 surface cuts on my right arm just above my elbow. It wasn't major, and I was able to get cleaned up and bandaged, then I went back at it to finish the job. This time I made sure to hold BOTH skids down to prevent her from tipping again. I guess it was the 400's "friendly" reminder for me to respect her blades, or trouble can occur. Thank you 400, your point was well taken. I'll take her out to the field this weekend to see if any of our heli guys can look her over to make sure that I've got everything OK before I fly her again, since I've never really had anyone take the time to help me properly set up any of my helis (I've used the manual, magazines, and this forum to learn how to do it myself. Now it's just a matter of having someone make sure I learned correctly).

Anyway, I'm ready for this weekend to take out a couple of my planes and fly.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best part of this thread is that I can see a lot of what I went through the first year of flying, but I haven't accumulated all the different models you have . It reads quickly, so it's like watching a movie, rather than reading a book. Hope you stick with it. [8D]
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
mydartswinger

After another 2 months of not posting here, I have quite a few more updates.

The Yak and Mustang have been sold. I was never really enjoying the Yak to it's fullest potential, and one day I popped off to a buddy that I'd sell it to him for $200 less RX. The next day I had changed my mind, and decided that I would keep it. About 4-5 days later, my buddy came back to me with the $200 wanting the plane. True to my word, I let him take it for $200, and traded him the RX for a e-Flite Blade CP Pro. My buddy was looking for another plane about a week after that, and he had a project that I wanted, and I had one that he wanted. We just swapped projects. My Mustang and a partially built Sig Kadet Seniorita for his H9 1/4 scale Matt Chapman CAP 232.

Also in the last 2 months, I have acquired a TWM Zen 50 pattern plane w/ a Saito 65. After assembling the plane and mounting the motor, I took her out to the field for her run in and maiden flight minus cowling. She ran well and all radio and control checks checked out, so on with the maiden. I taxied her out and began some fast passes to get used to her tracking. She tracked straight with minimal rudder input, so I went to slow her down, but she bounced about 2 feet into the air, came down, killed the engine, and busted a clevis on the retracts. Done for the day. Got the retract fixed, and cowl trimmed. I went to mount the cowl, then mount the muffler through the cowl to keep a clean look. When I was tightening the pipe down, my pliers were slipping quite a bit (only used pliers due to the tight space constraints), but kept on until "SNAP". The header mount broke off along with some cooling fins, ruining the head. I looked around locally for a replacement for a couple of weeks with no luck, so I decided to put her up until I could get a new Saito engine. That didn't work out, you'll see why in a minute.

Now on to today. It was a bit windy, so I took out my plane that I figured could handle it the best, my TWM Nemesis 52. It's been about a month or so since I've flown her (I've been flying my .30 size nitro helicopter and my GP Tiger Moth more recently), so I was a bit nervous. Took off, got even more nervous and decided to set her down before trouble came looking for me. On the first approach, I was too high and too fast for landing, so I executed a go-around. On the second approach trouble found me, I cut power too early, turned base too slow, and she dropped a wing and death spiraled to the ground for a nose first impact [:@]. Call it a case of dumb thumbs. My first total loss of an airplane. It was bound to happen at some point or another. It seems that I've been pressing my luck flying for 7 months without a total loss, as well as progressing to faster, more nimble, and more advanced airplanes so soon. That luck has finally caught up with me. RIP Nemesis.

Before today's crash.

My first thought after my crash was, what am I going to do to replace it. Then I got it, one of our LHSs takes used airplanes (supposedly by talking to the owner, not so much anymore). I decided to take the ZEN that is waiting for a motor to him and see what I could get as an even trade. After looking for about an hour or so at his inventory, thinking about what he had in stock, what I'm looking to put in the plane, what he said he'd give me for the ZEN, and what I wanted out of a plane, I finally decided on a plane. That plane is the Global/VQ AT-6 Harvard in "Ghost Rider" trim. [link=http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/at6.html]This plane.[/link] I plan on having it airborne next weekend with retracts.

Time to get to building and get back on the horse.

Happy flying.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM
mydartswinger

Just a couple of quick pics of what is left of the Nemesis and her new replacement.

Crash Damage

Replacement airplane's box lid.

Out of the Box.