Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Production Idea

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Production Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production Idea

OK, I'm not much of an entrepreneur, and I don't have time for making things, but I had an idea that someone with some ambition and tools might make into a reality. I would really like to be able to use my four or five 2.4 ghz receivers in my 10 airplanes without having to buy 6 more rx's. I think 2.4 lends itself to this because there is no routing of antenna problems. So my idea is a wiring harness that one would plug all of their servos into. The other end of the harness would be the end that you plug into the rx, and it would be set up to exactly plug into whichever brand of rx that you choose (so the design would be for spektrum, futaba, etc). the rx's themselves could be rubber banded or velcroed into each airplane, so when you want to switch airplanes, you take the rx out, unplug that harness, put the rx into the new plane, plug the new harness in, re-bind, and you are flying. So the harness never leaves the airplane. You would have a wiring harness for each airplane. rx manufacturers will never create this because they want us to buy a rx for every airplane.
I would think this is something that would sell very well if anyone out there would prototype it and get it to market. I know I would buy several. Maybe there is a downside to this that I'm not thinking of, but I think 2.4 really lends itself to one using just a handfull of rx's for many many airplanes....
What do you think?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Production Idea

It's simpler than you think.

All that would be needed is a plug with 6 female ends on one side and 6 male ends on the other.

Plug all the servos into it and leave it with the airplane.

Then, just plug the single plug into the RX.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

That's an excellent idea. Now if you will excuse me I have to run down to the patent office.

Seriously, I really think that is a good idea. That would even work with a 72MHz system if you had an easy way to route the antenna. If anyone can actually produce something like this I will buy a couple of them.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:38 PM
goirish

Beat ya-Ply2win

Ya wanna buy one or two.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I may be doing this with my next plane. A piece of tape on the servo wire will mark the servo channel, just un velcro the rx and slide the antennaes into the tubes that are premounted, plug it in and its ready to go.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
iron eagel

A universal harness....

Sounds like a good idea, you just would have to make sure that all your planes were set up in a similar manner.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They use a similar concept in some planes where all of the servos in the wings plug in all at once (automatically) when each wing is attached to the fuselage. Can't remember where I saw it though.

Building up such an assembly wouldn't really be all that hard. The power and ground would be the same for all servos and a separate lead for each signal wire. This means that for a 4 channel plane you would only need a 6-pin connector. The power and ground pins would need to be able to handle sufficient current though or use multiple pins if needed. I have not addressed battery input here.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Montague

I've seen several guys who used DB-9 and other "computer" connectors to do plug blocks. It's not hard, and you get get all the parts at any number of on-line electronics parts suppliers. And you can have a shared ground and power if you want (though make sure if you do that, you use big enough wire, a single 22guage wire isn't going to cut it for 6+ digital servos for the hot and ground leads.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
dignlivn

2 slow

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I was thinking something
along the line of something similar to a pigtail that is similar to a
truck and trailer pigtail.

Bob
Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I hate to rain on the prade, but 40 years of working with pluging cables in computers tells me it isn't a good idea. There are two issues you have to contend with. First is pin alignment. Four pins is one thing, but 24 pins starts to be come a real issue on a home brew connector. The second is pluging force. This is the real rain. With four pins it may require a few pounds of push to get the connector home. Now with six connectors, you could easly end up requiring 20 to 30 pounds of force to push the pins home. The pins on the receiver are just standard .100 spaced pins. The circuit board doesn't have much strength and trying to push home that many pins at once could eaisly crack a board.

A DB25 connector would be a better method, but you are going to add five or six ozs of weight, and you will have to solder leads to the connector, giveing a failure point for flexing wires.

I don't like pluging and unpluging wires on a receiver. Each pluging and unpluging wears some of the gold or tin plating off the pins and conectors. I use a pigtail of two short servo extentions to my aileron and a second set in the wings. The added number of connections could be a problem, but it is less a problem than the wear issue. I now have to sacurficial cables that when they get tired, it only takes a small investment to replace them. My one 4*60 had the aileron cables plugged and unpluged enough times that the "snap" had gone out of the pluging. Time for a new set when that happens.

What would be best is a Zif (zero insersion force) connector, one that is rated for several hundred insertions.

Don
Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Shortymet55

I once came up with an idea where you have a flashlight that you don't need to worry about batteries with. You can just put it in a backpack or whatever, and when its time you need it, whip it out and it runs off solar power. No batteries or capacitors needed. Just a light bulb hooked to a solar panel. I overlooked the main flaw in this idea. Your idea is much better. I wished I hadnt spent $1000 patenting this solar powered flashlight.

Just kidding. But the idea is pretty good, although it is kinda annoying just trying to pull out one servo plug, let alone a bunch.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
goirish

Hey I have one of them daytime flashlights. Don't have any problems seeing with it.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

Hey I have one of them daytime flashlights. Don't have any problems seeing with it.

Almost as good as Instant Water. Just add water to the pouch and your all set to go!!!!

Ken
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
bruce88123

The whole idea here Don is to NOT need to constantly plug and unplug the RX leads. Plug in the adaptor once and go from there. Any variations from plane-to-plane would need to be done on the plane side of the adaptor harness. You must have the heaviest DB25's in the industry there. You don't need the fancy ones or hoods/backshells or the like, tie them together with zip ties or string. You can use crimp pins or solder with about 3/8 inch of heat shrink for strain relief on each wire. I've done thousands of them like this. Even a small bead of RTV could be used instead. Don't need 25 pins either 9 or 13 pins should be plenty for most jobs.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: goirish

Almost as good as Instant Water. Just add water to the pouch and your all set to go!!!!

Ken
Is that like powdered milk? Just add flavor?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 PM
flyX

But they figure out how to store solar energy in fuel cells, just recently.
Obviousely the oil or energy companies arn't going to invest in it,
becuase you won't need to be hook up to the grid anymore, day or night.

There's all kinds of connectors you can use or different ways you can go about it.
For mass production. Just go PCB, like your SD card..to keep the cost down.
Plus it'll be easier for the user and no pins to bend.
All you need are headers/plugs on the opposite side of the fingers.
They make those things up the waazoo. They even come in break away strips.
Molex, AMP, 3m, semtec...whatever your flavor..they all make it.

This way you can make thousands and thousand in a week becuase you
can just run a panel over a wave solider machine.
Each panel will have .. i dunno...50-ea sounds good.

For a garage job..I'd just use ribbon CBL and sometype of din connectors.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
2slow2matter

If one was going to use a computer connector, would you need to use a separate hot and ground for each servo, or just one common hot and ground, and then each signal?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking of ideas why dont they make backspaced spinner plates. For those people that want to run a lil bigger engine than the cowl allows. So the plate would step backwards with the cone fitting over it hence limiting the ugly gap.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
iron eagel

A common ground and voltage is ok but you may want to up the wire size to prevent voltage drops, then one connection for each signal, you would still have to run three wires to each servo.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

solar powered flashlight
That reminds me of José Jiménez, the famous Mercury astronaut that was slated to fly to the sun. When asked about the danger of burning up, he replied that there was no problem, because he was going at night.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

solar powered flashlight
That reminds me of José Jiménez, the famous Mercury astronaut that was slated to fly to the sun. When asked about the danger of burning up, he replied that there was no problem, because he was going at night.
If you remember seeing that show you are dating yourself it is kinda like saying I watched sky king and the honeymooners...
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Guys, I hate to rain on the prade, but 40 years of working with pluging cables in computers tells me it isn't a good idea. There are two issues you have to contend with. First is pin alignment. Four pins is one thing, but 24 pins starts to be come a real issue on a home brew connector. The second is pluging force. This is the real rain. With four pins it may require a few pounds of push to get the connector home. Now with six connectors, you could easly end up requiring 20 to 30 pounds of force to push the pins home. The pins on the receiver are just standard .100 spaced pins. The circuit board doesn't have much strength and trying to push home that many pins at once could eaisly crack a board.

A DB25 connector would be a better method, but you are going to add five or six ozs of weight, and you will have to solder leads to the connector, giveing a failure point for flexing wires.

I don't like pluging and unpluging wires on a receiver. Each pluging and unpluging wears some of the gold or tin plating off the pins and conectors. I use a pigtail of two short servo extentions to my aileron and a second set in the wings. The added number of connections could be a problem, but it is less a problem than the wear issue. I now have to sacurficial cables that when they get tired, it only takes a small investment to replace them. My one 4*60 had the aileron cables plugged and unpluged enough times that the "snap" had gone out of the pluging. Time for a new set when that happens.

What would be best is a Zif (zero insersion force) connector, one that is rated for several hundred insertions.

Don
It would be best to have one part of the harness that stays connected to the radio and an interface connector that it plugs into which contains the connectors for each servo so nothing that is fragile or expensive is the make break part of the arrangement. That would be far cheaper than going with a zif connector and you just have an interface connector for each plane with the common jumper connector that stays with the RX. The interface is nothing more than a pcb header with pins for the servos that goes to, and an amp or molex type for the make/brake that plugs into the radio pigtail. You are right the PCB of the RX would take a lot of abuse if you were all ways swapping it out but if you had a pigtail just replace it. That way the replaceable pigtail lead takes all of the beating and you can replace it.

As far as your observation about the force required, I doubt that it would be 30 lbs for 6 connectors (I swapped out a lot of chips in my day also, long before zif's and smt)...

Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

watched sky king and the honeymooners
Yes and No
you are dating yourself
I had a womb with a view.[8D]
Old 08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
iron eagel

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

A common ground and voltage is ok but you may want to up the wire size to prevent voltage drops, then one connection for each signal, you would still have to run three wires to each servo.
Merely increasing wire size may not be enough. Larger connector pins may also be needed. Look for the weakest link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.