Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Plane saving device

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane saving device

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plane saving device

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

also remember that your airplane is still getting lift from its wings while falling, if you put to big of a chute it will never come down

I was thinking of putting as far back aft as I can; the plane might be just "hanging" by the chute
Old 03-07-2009, 12:16 AM
flyingJ

That's going to be one big parachute to safely lower a plane. Having flown model rockets for 30+ years, one rocket at 16 ozs uses a 18 inch diameter chute. It slows it down, but still falls at a good rate. Now take a 7lb plane at let it fall at that same rate, the chute would be approx 126 inches in diameter. Add forward velocity to the equation ?? I would love to see this happen, but some how rockets + parachute = tree tops or powerlines even if both are 1/4 mile away and upwind. OHHH I keep forgetting about everybodys "friend" MURPHY! Seriously good luck and keep us posted this is an interesting comcept.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
skeeter_ca

This idea would have to have some type of rocketmotor to pull the chute from the plane. If left to just the wind to pull it. it will never happen. It would take far to long and would probably never open with the turbulance going around the fuse. If designed without a ballistic deployment it could take over 10 seconds to deploy. A small estes rocket engine could pull the chute out in less than a second and then it would take maybe two more second for the chute to inflate. Thats 3 seconds after the the switch is hit. It might have a chance if it were high.

And how much is this system going to weight. I'll bet something for a .60 size plane would be at least a pound.

skeeter
Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

i wouldnt do that....model rockets drift w/ the wind, poeple loose them all the time to trees and stuff. i would not put a $300+ plane at the mercy of the wind to drift where ever it wants. and if the chute fails your in big trouble (aka its to small and its hardly slowing the plane down)
Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 PM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

This idea would have to have some type of rocketmotor to pull the chute from the plane.

skeeter

I like that idea but I dont know how I would ignite it from the tx and how to harness the gas from burning of the rocket; maybe have it just blow the top off and inflate the chute very fast. My plane is about 5lb with no wing and the wing is 1.5lb so with the chute and etc and fuel I guess I'll test for 7.5lb
Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
fly boy2

I did some weight testing and with a 2.5lb weight tied to a chute what was 20inx30in; it fell like a ton of bricks 8ft/s. I'm gonna need a big chute[X(]
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

It wouldn't have to descend so slow that it would drift for miles, just slow enough to prevent major damage, if you could rig the chute so the plane hit the ground on its gear, you could get by with more descent speed, thus a smaller chute.