Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thanks Gary!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thanks Gary!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Billyfloyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Gary!!

I just made my FIRST flight today! I did'nt solo, but when Gary, my instructor, landed my Trainer, I was SO pumped! After gettingthe plane upa couple of times, He gave me the controls and let me get some "stick-time" in. He had to save my butt a few times, but said I did ok. I don't think I'll sleep for a week now! Thanks, Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best 20 or 30 minutes of my life............can't wait to get better!

billyfloyd
Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thanks Gary!!

Great. Fly high and soon those "I've got it" from the insturctor will be fewer and fewer. Then comes the severed cord. Your solo. And welcome to the addiction.

Don
Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 AM
IFR Pilot

Congrats Campgems, way to go. As you proceed through more advanced planes, just don't forget where you came from and It'll go a long way.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billyfloyd, you have ebarked on a long, expensive but rewarding voyage. I think in terms of addictive habits the pecking order puts RC airplanes somewhere between cigarettes and heroin. RC airplanes are a good bit healthier for you though. Welcome to RCU and congratulations on your first flights.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! And welcome to RCU!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49419.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1319114  
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Billyfloyd

I just made my FIRST flight today! I did'nt solo, but when Gary, my instructor, landed my Trainer, I was SO pumped! After getting the plane up a couple of times, He gave me the controls and let me get some ''stick-time'' in. He had to save my butt a few times, but said I did ok. I don't think I'll sleep for a week now! Thanks, Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best 20 or 30 minutes of my life............can't wait to get better!

billyfloyd
CONGRATS!! No better feeling I tell ya!! Like stang said "long expensive, and rewarding". I just finished putting together another ARF and I'm already thinking of what to get next! This hobby is alot less painful than running a marathon, but crossing the finish line of a marathon and soloing for the first time, are right near the top of the list of what has made me feel the greatest sense of accomplishment!! YOU are gonna luv this flying stuff!!! It's always great when you have a good instructor, and this forum really helps a great deal! See ya in the sky!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes, I know the feeling. I solo'ed somewhat by accident, was on the buddy box for about two months, two days a week.. slow learner, I guess, but more likely just afraid to cut the cord. Anyway, I went out early one day to practice taxi'ing around a bit, and awaiting the instructor to show up.

Well, on one taxi, I pushed a little harder on the throttle and up she went. Well, either subconsciously or not, I put it airborne and now was committed. So, I did a few orbits and landed beautifully. So, I did it again.

I didn't notice it, but my instructor had driven up and was watching. When I finally landed, after the third or fourth touch-and go, he came up to me and yelled 'HEY.. you SOLO'ed!! NO MORE BUDDY BOX for you!!!" We both were so thrilled! And that was that.

Again.. an AH-HA.. I can do this moment!!

And, as MrStang said.. well, the beginning of... well, no sense repeating it again..

Billd76.. my spare room, where my planes are "stored" as well as the downstairs shower stall, are filled with planes. I have to buy an outside storage shed to put overflow..

CGr
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Ah yes, I know the feeling. I solo'ed somewhat by accident, was on the buddy box for about two months, two days a week.. slow learner, I guess, but more likely just afraid to cut the cord. Anyway, I went out early one day to practice taxi'ing around a bit, and awaiting the instructor to show up.

Well, on one taxi, I pushed a little harder on the throttle and up she went. Well, either subconsciously or not, I put it airborne and now was committed. So, I did a few orbits and landed beautifully. So, I did it again.

I didn't notice it, but my instructor had driven up and was watching. When I finally landed, after the third or fourth touch-and go, he came up to me and yelled 'HEY.. you SOLO'ed!! NO MORE BUDDY BOX for you!!!'' We both were so thrilled! And that was that.

Again.. an AH-HA.. I can do this moment!!

And, as MrStang said.. well, the beginning of... well, no sense repeating it again..

Billd76.. my spare room, where my planes are ''stored'' as well as the downstairs shower stall, are filled with planes. I have to buy an outside storage shed to put overflow..

CGr
Ha! yeah wife is already asking me where I'm going to put all these planes. I told her that they had to be kept in the house cause the chaning temps in the sheds would not be good for the balsa.