Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

$155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

$155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: $155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

ORIGINAL: rambler53

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

quality new radio gear with new batteries, buy the plane that you need to get trained with an engine you can trust, then join a club and pay your AMA dues. ...............see you wait a while than to see you buy junk and talk badly about the RC hobby because you failed.
This is just one opinion, not fact, and I disagree with it completely. Take it one at a time.

Some new equipment will fail as quickly as tried and true used equipment can. Quality control isn't what it was, and the older radios passed the test of time. The batteries may miss being cycled and a new battery if it's nicad, isn't trained yet. Some don't know these details, like beginners. Some manuals don't touch on it either like they used to. Some radios have cold solder joints that caused a total crash on a $1100 plane recently posted on this forum, a $429 radio to boot.
A working radio that is in use will certainly do him well, and save him a bundle in depreciation.
I've sold dozens of radios on RCU without incident, because they were my daily radios, and in Florida, it is daily.
A new cycled battery in a buddy box will put him in the air, just as safe as a $129 4 channel radio system.

A used plane doesn't need that nerve racking maiden flight (for some, even seasoned guys ask me to take their new plane off the ground for them), it's already balanced and trimmed, tuned and air tested. I find the greasy planes that look in fair shape with their covering to fly the best! I've built and flown many ''new'' planes and what a waste of money to find the lemons.
You can argue both sides of the issue, but remember, everyone has their own methods, and mine cost me a fraction of the others to a point where I made a living at reselling RC for six years from home. I didn't lose planes because they were used I cycled batteries, load tested them, pre-flight checked the plane thoroughly after buying from a reputable guy to begin with, and only found one radio to have a problem out of dozens. You can read ratings on RCU marketplace from guys that have thousands of used sales here that are perfect or near perfect. They all would disagree with you on the New is better idea. I'll take a used kit built plane way before a Chinese ARF with crappy hardware and weak glue joints that would fall apart if the covering were removed!

I've been flying over 35 years and I certainly do not advocate the AMA dues business. You have the same privilege to fly and you don't need a club or AMA to get that privilege. Save your AMA and club money or you're broke before you buy rubber bands. You can always find a RC guy to you locally, and many do right through RCU. http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...uestTimeout=50
You have a few guys that won't charge you a penny to show you how to tune and take off in your $155 airplane package. Maybe you can send them a PM and ask for a time they're planning to go flying and send them a link to this thread?
I wouldn't hesitate to meet anyone new and give them a couple hours of my time. This is how I got back into the hobby and appreciate the patience and generous group at our free flying field in Palm Bay.

I have flown hundreds of planes and tuned hundreds of engines and truly hate breaking out a new ARF to build or breaking in a new engine from getting a used one. I save hours of time and thousands of dollars using this method, and pass on the savings to the new guys.
He is getting into the hobby soon with his $155. He came to RCU asking a question and it was answered. He came to the right place. We're exchanging PMs now to work out logistics between us.

This is not an unusually spectacular deal, it's typical. I'm confused why RCU has a marketplace to buy and sell used planes including trainers, and three moderators never pointed you to it? I will, here are some great examples for the same money, one is pretty close to you (see last link)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=631775

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=631756

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=628674

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=628271
Let me say this in response to this post.

I started in RC back in 1968. Built my first airplane (a Cleveland kit of the Aeronca Champ), AND my first radio (a Heathkit 6ch). Then I took my plane to a vacant lot, and gave it a toss. I learned to fly, and was able to make the repairs along the way because I had been building for several years already (control line). I didn't seek help, join the AMA, or any of the local clubs. Later, a few of us took over the local schools parking lot on the week ends.

Those days are gone.

I don't in any way recommend this approach today. The air waves are much more crowded, and people in general are much less tolerant in this sue-happy society.

Don't listen to people who tell you you can go it alone, can get started with $100, and don't need local clubs. The AMA or other fine organizations like it, are designed to support the hobby (please no useless debate on the virtues of the AMA), just to save you a few dollars of start up money. K&B engines are junk and don't last (I had many of them), old radios (I would say over 10 or 12 years old) are old technology and are not safe in today's flying environment, not to mention anything 72mhz is soon to be banned in general, and already is at most major flying events. Buying junk to save money, and trying to teach yourself is where you will loose a lot of money.

Buy a good simulator like the Real Flight G-5 or 5, and get in touch with your local club to seek their advice on the correct equipment for your particular area. Some areas still using 72mhz have unusable or unsafe channels that stay away from. The AMA is not the Devil, as some will tell you. It supports us in many ways, and that AMA card gets you into any sanctioned AMA field as a guest. I have flown in over 30 states and met hundreds of wonder folks in the process.

Please, please be wise.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I started in RC back in 1968. Built my first airplane (a Cleveland kit of the Aeronca Champ), AND my first radio (a Heathkit 6ch). Then I took my plane to a vacant lot, and gave it a toss. I learned to fly
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=628271 He went with this after talking to him on the phone. Hopefully the seller works it out with him, 110 mile trip. A lot of forum threads here on RCU praise the series 75 engines. One man's junk is another man's treasure. His radio is FM narrow band, which is more than good for rural GA and FL. He's got landing gear, no tossing required.
He's looking into a simulator, if I can get my borrowed sim back from a guy in Texas, he can borrow it next.

The AMA club scene debates are found on another thread, which I ignore.

Enjoy the hobby Jimmy! You'd be amazed what you can learn from youtube engine starting videos.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been many schools of thought here. The guys with money will always say new is better. The guys without will say buy used.

Me I am a bargain finder. I buy the best deal and make it work for me.

Some guys say this is junk, or this is great. But remember one thing and this will always serve you well in this hobby. Careful preflights and range checks of your radio system can save an airplane. I saved many of mine because I caught a problem on the ground during preflights and range checks.

I also use this school of thought. If it works properly, passes a range check, the batteries hold a charge. Fly it and have fun. The best advice is get with someone who has real experience in R/C in your area and work with him/her. He can guide you through to get you setup. I have sold trainers to new people ready to fly for less than you have stated, then I taught them to fly on that equipment.

By AMA guidelines you can fly under the Intro Pilot program for 30 days with an instructor. So you do not have to have AMA before you fly if you are working with a club that uses that program.

Guys say drop $200.00 on a simulator. BS you do not need a simulator to learn how to fly. I learned in seven days going out to the field after work with my instructor. I learned before the days of buddy boxes. My instructor stood next to me and took the radio or reached over and made the correction. $155.00 can get you in the air with solid equipment if you work with someone who knows R/C without breaking your budget. It may not be new, it may not be pretty but at the end of the day it will fly, and you have an instructor who will teach you how to fly safely.

Then as you learn and progress you will see spending more does not always mean better. I know I have done it. I have taught others how too. Personal preference will also factor in as time goes on too. But for now with your budget you can get started with your budget.

Many guys say you have to have the best to learn on that is complete hogwash. I learned on a plane I built, Kit was $30.00, engine that was given to me by my instructor and a used radio I bought for $25.00. I still have that airplane it is beat to hell but I have it. I still have that engine too. That was 22 years ago when I learned.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
ram3500-RCU

I truly hope it works out for him and wish him and his kids the best.

I would hardly call any K&B a 'treasure', but neither is an OS LA 40. No bushed engine will last. That is just a fact.

This stuff will get him started and at least he will be able to get some hands on experience, and that is good. I praise the modeler for his generosity in making the stuff available to him.

Simulators 'necessary', of course not. Neither are chicken sticks, tie downs, electric starters, computer radios, A123 batteries, trainer cords, fuel pumps, volt watch, electronic ignition, and a host of other accessories that I used to do without. But the hobby is much more enjoyable and safe for me due to my use of these things and more like them.

On that rainy, windy, or otherwise ugly day, or in the evening after dark and after time with the fam, or when there isn't anyone to go flying with (and I recommend never going by yourself for safety reasons), you can pull out you trusty simulator and still get some stick time. And THOSE mistakes cost you absolutely nothing.

I hope you snag a good deal on a sim and put it to good use. You and your kids. BTW, do yourself a favor and get the better half on it as well. Maybe you can get her involved as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's a decent price on a starter kit if there's nothing wrong with any of it. All I can say is "good luck."

Now all he needs is a field box, starter/battery, glow driver, glow plugs and wrench, miscellaneous tools, extra fasteners, fuel, props, spare hardware, and a place to fly. If he can get all that for free he'll be set up at his stated price limit. Then he can start flying and maybe someone can pay the ongoing expenses of the hobby for him. Best of luck to the OP and I too hope to see him succeed in the hobby and stay in it a long time.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
winghead

In my opinion, I would reccommend going to a flying field and talking to some people that are flying airplanes and explain that you and your son would like to get into the hobby and have a $155 to spend. If you do not find anyone that is friendly, come back a different day.

They will spread the word to other people at the club that a newbie is looking for a complete set up for $150. I would think within a week, someone would sell you a plane you could start on if the word spread around. The original person that was friendly and helped you out could meet you at the flying field and start and inspect the plane to check its condition. As long as the field had a certified trainer program and you flew with a certified instructor, a person could fly with a buddy box without having to pay AMA dues for up to 60 days. I don't know how many clubs have a program like this, but I know that our does. From what the president of the club says, this is something new this year. You would not need field equipment if someone had everything to start your plane.

You would make a buddy, have a minimal investment in a plane, and have someone help you fly it. I would hope that would be several people at any flying field that would enjoy helping someone get started in this great hobby. I first started flying with hobbico superstar that was complete with servos, motor, and radio that I bought for $90 on Craigslist. You should have no problem finding a used set up for $150 in my opinion. I have 4 planes in my garage right now that I would sell complete with radios for under $150.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but nother cost - 15% Nitro costs $18-25 a gallon. But with that size engine he'll get lots flights per gallon.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could not disagree more... the simulator is absolutely the most important part of learning to fly RC today. After learning to fly the sim it is possible to transition right to the field... I was landing on my very first lesson at the field. Of course, it took more than that to learn about glo engines... starting, tuning and fitting into the field's traffic system. If you have positive control of the airplane from the start, you probably won't walk away from the hobby. If you can't get positive control on the sim, you will have saved yourself a lot of frustration, time and money because you did not buy all the gear. The sim gives you a taste without all the financial risk. Getting a couple flights one night a week on training night is not enough to learn. The sim can be flown at any time day or night for as long as the user is conscious...

ORIGINAL: RCER88
Guys say drop $200.00 on a simulator. BS you do not need a simulator to learn how to fly. I learned in seven days going out to the field after work with my instructor. I learned before the days of buddy boxes. My instructor stood next to me and took the radio or reached over and made the correction. $155.00 can get you in the air with solid equipment if you work with someone who knows R/C without breaking your budget. It may not be new, it may not be pretty but at the end of the day it will fly, and you have an instructor who will teach you how to fly safely.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

They have some pretty good Electric RTF (Ready to fly) Planes within $155 range.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/rtf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4scai.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4scai.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4trgl.html
Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM
design2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Go with a Super Cub!  I have sold dozens of them to people who are looking to get into RC and do not have the money.  All you have to do is charge the battery (its electric) put the wing on and go fly.  It is a 3ch airplane so you don't have to worry about getting confused with ailerons .  It is an excellent airplane.  And it is made from VERY CRASH RESISTANT foam. And if you do end up breaking it.. duct tape works great or go buy a new wing for 20 bucks.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I have another option that I would like to suggest. Our Club like many others has a "Club Trainer". I have our club's trainer in my garage. It is a Sig LT-40 with a Supertigre 40 glow engine and a basic Futaba radio system and a buddy box. Find a local R/C Club. If they are devoted to teaching others to fly R/C, that club will have a "flight ready" model that is specifically owned by that club to get people like you in the air. They will let you fly the plane for free. Furnish everything you will need to fly the plane for free. Where are you located? I am in Ohio and you can come to our field and learn to "solo" a R/C model airplane for absolutely nothing, zip,zilch,nadda! There is no better way to promote this hobby than for all you guys suggesting what this gentleman should buy when in fact your club should absolutely have a Club trainer for him to use for free.

If you are in Georgia find out who this man and his son is and get them to your field and get them on a "buddy box"!

Simulators are okay but nothing beats the real thing. Getting outside, learning how to start the engine, smelling the fuel,setting the needle valve correctly on the engine, checking the wind direction,your first unassisted takeoff and landing. You and your son will have memories for life and a new hobby too!

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!" Same goes for flying R/C.

Find a R/C club or local hobby shop that will get you and your son in the air, teach you to fly, THEN buy your plane and radio. By then you will probably be willing to pay and have a little more money because someone took the time to show you just how much fun it is!

Speedy Gonzales
AMA 107306
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I have a deal for you. I have some basic trainer stuff I will send to you. You pay the shipping and I will send you a radio- basic four channel with dual rates. I believe I have a trainer kit and suitable engine also. I will sell the engine and kit for 50.00. You pay the shipping. So you could get into an airframe, engine and radio for about 70.00$ Mike
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

RC'ers can be really generous guys. As long as the OP can support the upkeep of the hobby, looks like he's all set.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
ram3500-RCU

Let me just add this on the simulators. My brother learned to fly helicopters with his. Took his Raptor out, after having no other experience than the sim, and flew it. Now you will still have much to learn in the real world, but the sim can give you a real head start if you use it wisely.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you give something away, that is what it is worth. If someone has to pay for something, they will value it and take care of it. That is why kids destroy their toys... Our club teaches new pilots for free, but they must have their own equipment. We have a fly-in during the summer where we put anyone interested on a buddy box for free. I don't think you need to give it away to get a new member. They need to want it badly enough to do what ever it takes. Simulators give the new pilot skills that take months to acquire outside. No you cannot skip the skills needed to fly outside, but those are minor if the student can fly. You don't have to be able to build a transmission to drive a car do you?

I spent months crashing and rebuilding helis... I would get 0-1 minute of flight time and back to the hobby store. I put the darn thing on the shelf and flew helis in the sim exclusively for over a year. A friend finally talked me back into flying the "real" thing... two batteries of hovering, and I was into forward flight... no crashes in over 100 flights... motor burned on one flight, but that was not pilot induced. I am of the opinion that if you cannot hover for two consecutive batteries worth(no crashes) on the sim, you are not ready to fly outside.

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales
They will let you fly the plane for free. Furnish everything you will need to fly the plane for free. Where are you located? I am in Ohio and you can come to our field and learn to ''solo'' a R/C model airplane for absolutely nothing, zip,zilch,nadda! There is no better way to promote this hobby than for all you guys suggesting what this gentleman should buy when in fact your club should absolutely have a Club trainer for him to use for free.

Simulators are okay but nothing beats the real thing. Getting outside, learning how to start the engine, smelling the fuel,setting the needle valve correctly on the engine, checking the wind direction,your first unassisted takeoff and landing. You and your son will have memories for life and a new hobby too!

''Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!'' Same goes for flying R/C.

Speedy Gonzales
AMA 107306
Old 05-08-2010, 06:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not everyone thinks a gift is something to trash. Some people are actually appreciative of the generosity of others
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Not everyone thinks a gift is something to trash. Some people are actually appreciative of the generosity of others
I would agree, but after raising 7 kids, I know where he is coming from. I just don't think this is the same situation.

I do appreciate his emphasis on the value of today's simulators, though.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 AM
speeds4me

I have a radio and receiver its a older Futaba Skysport 4, it was my first radio when i started flying, Its works great and i would still trust it on any of my big planes. The receiver is a also a 4 channel futaba and comes with a bat, i also have a couple of extra servos i can give ya... They are all just collecting dust.. Illl give everything to you if you just pay shipping... No point in me keeping them if i can help some get into the sport. Ill prob guess around $10 to ship +- couple of bucks let me know.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Does it matter whether he gets into the hobby for $20 or $200? You know once he tries it he'll be hooked and will soon be willingly shelling out the BIG bucks (new or used), just like the rest of us. The most important point here is that people have let him know that the first $155 is just the beginning.

btw - totally agree on the value of the simulator. Best $200 I ever spent. Actually remember how hard it was to fly even on the simulator at first, but then you gradually get your wings. And I know people have learned without it, but I think it's smart to use the tools that are now available to us. People used to take trains across the country, but these days most of us would rather fly.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

on_your_six,
My club does not give the trainer away. It is a teaching tool owned in full by the club for those that want to learn to fly. We do not give it to the student. Only the use of it is free. If you want to quote me,use the whole quote! I think most people contributing to this forum have more common sense than that! Please do not quote me out of context again or I will mistake you for being a politician running for public office!

I also agree that the simulator is a great tool. Many students have come to our field with simulator time and have soloed in a single day. So that is proof that the simulator works. I am just stating that a simulator is a great tool but only a tool. Not the real thing. I learned to fly R/C before there were any simulators or buddy boxes with great success. I bought a simulator after flying R/C for over 30 years and found it hard to get used to the simulator but it is great fun when the weather is not cooperating. I still can't fly a helicopter but I guess that is due to my lack of interest in helicopters! But I must proclaim that I can "fly" my simulator quite well. Simulators never leave your desktop. R/C models do.

Let's get this guy and his son in the air! Looks like there are some very generous offers by some good people with great intentions of helping out. These are the type of people to seek out for help. People that will give you the shirt off their back so a father and son can learn to fly. Sounds like this man already knows the value of a dollar bill and thus in turn will teach the same to his son with the help of GENEROSITY and DEVOTION.

Good luck to you and your son. You have some great offers and ideas here and you should be able to get your "wings" and have a trainer plane soon. It is great to see that you have a close father-son relationship. You have accomplished the first step already! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Speedy G
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
winghead

I agree that a simulator is a great tool, but I would much rather spend my money on a plane. If a person could learn for free on a loaner plane at a field with a trained instructor, that would be a great deal for new people getting into the hobby. I would not recommend that a person go buy and plane and take up by themselves without any training at all, but a program like "Speedy" is talking about is a different story.

If this gentlemens budget is only $155, he is probably on a tight budget and may take him awhile to get enough cash to buy a plane if he spends everything on a simulator. I would imagine the quality of time spent with his son flying a nitro plane at the flying field would a lot better than sitting indoors. When I flew a simulator, it was fun for about the first 10 times and it got old. Every single time I have flown an airplane, I have loved it.

The amount of knowledge that can be recieved by going out to the flying field and talking to people whom are interested in teaching new people is amazing. If a person jumped on a trainer and flew 20 times versus flying a simulator 20 times, I don't believe there would be any comparison in the level of training that they would recieve. Just learning how to inspect the plane, adjust the controls, and tune a motor is crucial to being a successful flyer.

I believe it is way to easy for a person to fly on a simulator, being a good flyer right off the bat, and still know almost nothing about how to tune a motor, set up controls, and how to do pre flight checklists. I see way more people crash airplanes due to poorly running motors, mechanical malfunctions, and just not having an airplane set up right. I am speaking from personal experience on my crashes also! I believe a simulator could easily fool a newbie to thinking that they can buy an airplane and go fly, but in all reality running the sticks on the transmitter is really only a small portion to having consistently successful flights.

Please do not get offended by any comments for the people that feel like newbies should fly on a simulator, I just want to make sure that a new person understands how many other aspects there are to "flying" besides flying.... if that makes any sense.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Ditto winghead!!!! You and I "fish from the same boat"!!! There comes a time in life when the son becomes the father and the father becomes the son but let us never stray from the boy inside the man. Nothing beats going home with grass stained knees and smelling of model airplane fuel! I use to fly freeflight as a young kid and I had more fun losing a model in a thermal or a corn field than having it come down and land at my feet. I can have just as much fun with 18 strands of Tan II rubber wound to the max in a F1B wakefield as I can with a 24 pound P-51 with the gear up on a low pass at 120 mph. A simple Hand Launch Glider (HLG) will make my day too!

Don't get me wrong here. Simulators are a great tool for learning but to me it is like staying home to watch the game on TV when the stadium is just down the road....... unless it is raining outside. Let's not let this forum get into a big fuss over simulators. Let's get this man and his son "flying".

This forum will have to continue without me. I'm going out to the field to fly!!!

Speedy
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: winghead

I agree that a simulator is a great tool, but I would much rather spend my money on a plane. If a person could learn for free on a loaner plane at a field with a trained instructor, that would be a great deal for new people getting into the hobby. I would not recommend that a person go buy and plane and take up by themselves without any training at all, but a program like ''Speedy'' is talking about is a different story.

If this gentlemens budget is only $155, he is probably on a tight budget and may take him awhile to get enough cash to buy a plane if he spends everything on a simulator. I would imagine the quality of time spent with his son flying a nitro plane at the flying field would a lot better than sitting indoors. When I flew a simulator, it was fun for about the first 10 times and it got old. Every single time I have flown an airplane, I have loved it.

The amount of knowledge that can be recieved by going out to the flying field and talking to people whom are interested in teaching new people is amazing. If a person jumped on a trainer and flew 20 times versus flying a simulator 20 times, I don't believe there would be any comparison in the level of training that they would recieve. Just learning how to inspect the plane, adjust the controls, and tune a motor is crucial to being a successful flyer.

I believe it is way to easy for a person to fly on a simulator, being a good flyer right off the bat, and still know almost nothing about how to tune a motor, set up controls, and how to do pre flight checklists. I see way more people crash airplanes due to poorly running motors, mechanical malfunctions, and just not having an airplane set up right. I am speaking from personal experience on my crashes also! I believe a simulator could easily fool a newbie to thinking that they can buy an airplane and go fly, but in all reality running the sticks on the transmitter is really only a small portion to having consistently successful flights.

Please do not get offended by any comments for the people that feel like newbies should fly on a simulator, I just want to make sure that a new person understands how many other aspects there are to ''flying'' besides flying.... if that makes any sense.
Yes, but consider this. Tuning a motor, setting up throws, expo, dual rates, control horn locations, looking for problems with the average ARF, and all the rest can be gleaned from the guys at the field, or even on line.

The instantaneous corrections or muscle memory that we develop and use without conscience thought, is only acquired from flying. That natural mental change that takes place when the plane is either coming or going, right side up or inverted, can be developed by simply flying the simulator, and you can spend much more time at it without the cost of 100s of $ in nitro fuel, AND IN COMPLETE SAFETY TO YOURSELF, YOUR EQUIPMENT, AND OTHERS.

A good simulator can even give you some realistic variable wind to overcome, fail your engine, or break your plane if you overstress it. Very helpful experience to have in an emergency.

After all, not reacting to these changes is where guys will loose orientation and money. Just because many of us old timers learned without them, does not mean that was the best way. I wish I had had one years ago. I know how much better I fly in the spring now, having kept up with flying over the winter on the sim.

I probably averaged one crash or 'deal' each spring just to being too rusty and overconfident on maneuvers that were easy for me the season before. That doesn't happen anymore.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

No truer words have been said.

The word is practice. And it must be repeated.. practice practice practice. The only way things come "automatically" is through repeated activity. The commercial that says "you don't learn to do 1200 things by doing them one time, you learn by doing one thing 1200 times".

This is why every say, the first thing I do when I fly that day is I start out by doing simple square "orbits". Then, after several orbits, and after my nerves settle down, [&o] I then begin to do simple maneuvers.. loops, aileron rolls, then perhaps a hammerhead (stall turn). Then after I am comfortable, if I have enough fuel and flying time, I do some split S's, and so on.

Now, once I have done that, this is usually after about 8 - 10 minutes, it's time to do some approaches.. so I do just that. Approaches, but not land. I go around, then do it again and again. Then I touch down and add throttle and go around (touch-and-go). Then if I still have enough time and fuel, I do it again, then I finally land.

I check things out to make sure nothing got loose, check the battery (voltwatch... ) and if everything looks good, I refuel, THEN I sit down for about 10-20 minutes and settle down.

Then I go back up and now I practice things like emergency (dead-stick) and other "maneuvers". This is all demanding, however, it is fun and, believe it or not, relaxing because I know that the more I do it, the better I am.

One guy once saw me flying my Venus II and commented that he never saw such a smooth landing. Practice practice practice. And, the Venus II makes it look easy.

Anyway, that's my approach and, believe me, it works for me.

CGr.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:38 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Craigslist in Atalanta Ga for a $100!!

ad copy

Carl Goldberg Models "Eagle 2" Trainer airplane. Built from the kit. Only flown 3 or 4 times, then ran out of time and interest in the hobby. Has been sitting in basement for years. Couple of small patches to monokote needed. Includes servos, batteries (will probably need to be replaced from years of sitting), JR XP642 six channel radio, Field Kit Box, Starter, various repair and replacement parts, original manuals, etc. Engine will either need repair or replacement. Cash only. (404) 272-0116.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tag/1730572330.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.