Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My coming back/Surgery recovery story

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My coming back/Surgery recovery story

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My coming back/Surgery recovery story

OMG, you sound so mature for your age. You have lived a difficult life so far and are an inspiration for others young men. Keep it up. I also have a P 51 Miss America I havent finished, how does it flies?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
chevypower1930

Thanks lopflyers!

And man my P51 is my pride and joy at the flying field! Every flight is just so smooth and she flies like she's on rails... one suggestion is to put some expo on the elevator as landings were always real twitchy when I didn't have the expo dialed in, when I put expo on the plane would almost land itself... just smooth elevator input and it touches down nicely... the only pain for me putting the miss america together was getting the damn mechanical retracts to work correctly without binding and to have them actually LOCK in place up and down.. but now that there dialed in I couldn't be happier with them... It's a great plane man and it always gets compliments at the field
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
FirebirdCdr2

chevypower,

I'm sorry that you have to go through all that. It's good to hear you are taking everything very well, and having a positive outlook on your situation. I know you will get well quickly, because you sound like a very strong man.

Hey, Do have some slow flying mircos that you could fly around your house while you recover? Cause that might help with the itch of wanting fly when you can't get outside. I know I go bananas when the weather will not permit me to fly my park flyers. That's why I have Mirco Helis to fly in my house when I can't get outside. Get well soon big guy.

Firebird
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM
chevypower1930

I have a parkzone vapor! haha the number one indoor flyer! I haven't flown it yet during my recovery because if i were to have a mishap it's tough to get up and get it.. but now I'm getting a little more mobile and I actually got a cane that is helping me out quite a bit... I'm looking for a walkera 4#3 also.. I had one before and I loved it it was very fun but I sold it idk why... and of course now the blade MSR would be awesome especially to bind to my dx7 instead of having another dang walkera transmitter to worry about
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Buddy,

You do not have to live with an ostomy bag for the rest of your life. I don't know your specific diagnosis, but theres a procedure called an Ileoanal Reservoir or J- Pouch. Essentialy once your colon is removed they make a pouch out of the end of your small intestin, connect it to your rectum, and you poop through your butt just like you used to. There are too many specifics to discuss here but you can get more info on the web, just google J pouch surgury.

My 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with UC at 3 yerars old. We managed it fairly sucussfully with meds for about 15 years. Finally, at 18 she had to have her colon removed and we opted for the J-Pouch option. It was completly sucussfull and she could not be happier with the results.

Also you can contact Dr. Graham Sellers in Denver Colorado At 303 839-6569

A good web sight on th J-Pouch is http://www.j-pouch.org/
Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
chevypower1930

"and TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY HOME! Still recovering and still very very weak.. but it feels great to be home those four walls in my hospital room were driving me insane. And this surgery means... no more motocross until my next surgery when they pull my intestine back down and reconnect,"

Thanks for the response buddy but yeah I'm getting the j pouch surgery done in 4-5 months!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great news Adam, you will be in our prayers. I'm glad you know about and are going to have the J-Pouch surgury, it is a much better option for those who can get it. Good luck!

rrragman
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
chevypower1930

ragman- Yeah I can't wait for that day to come.. even though I know I'm going to be hesitant to get back in that hospital and get cut back open when I'm gonna be feeling so good! But i'm a 20 year old that rides motocross and most of all... I LOVE the lake and wakeboarding... and an ostomy bag is a lot to cope with if you're going to be doing water sports...

Again though I'm just so happy to be healthy and have ulcerative colitis behind me... it was the hardest thing I've had to deal with in my life and it was just a horrible horrible battle to go through starting at 18 years old
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 AM
hairy46

Good luck to you kiddo! Godspeed in healing and getting back to doing want you want to do and what you need to do!

My girlfriend told me if I gave up RC planes I would have time for other things, WHAT OTHER THINGS?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had back surgery in late 2003 and it made me stiff as a board. Most of the stiffness eventually went away but it was a 6 month half life affair.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
chevypower1930

man w8ye I know that was a pain starting your glow planes and picking them up and everything, amazing what we go through to continue flying!

GOOD NEWS BTW: I have my little lipos for my micro 4 site charging once the temps go down, it's 90 degrees still at 7 oclock here in NC!!!! (and since I'm so out of shape it feels like its 120 as I get so tired so quickly) I'm gonna go fly the 4 site in the front yard for the first time since I've been home Can't wait!

I also just purchased this Stryker! 85 dollars shipped! I couldn't pass it up, Seller posted it on here today for 100 i believe then dropped it to 75!? said he needed the money and I COULD NOT pass this up, I think I purchased it within 2 minutes after he dropped the price.. I had an F27c before and this plane has an upgraded 2600 kv motor which is going to be ridiculous as he said it's noticeably faster then stock and stock these birds are SO FUN AND FAST! So I'm guessing it'll run about 90-95.. faster if I can upgrade the ESC and really pump some high lipo power in there! Can't wait to get back to where I can go to the flying field this strykers going to be teasing me sitting on the table!

And also I am feeling a lot stronger today, and moving around a lot more, feeling stronger everyday!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14160.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	1479145  
Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
hairy46

got a couple buddies with strykers and they are fast out of the box but they both shop for the upgrades and now super fast!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
chevypower1930

Yeah man I couldn't get enough of my old one, always threw it in the car for the flying field, the guys at the flying field loved watching it too haha there amazing to fly or to watch fly, could NOT pass up a 75 dollar MODDED stryker! the nose cones also from an f-18 jet it looks great to me, may paint it black? Idk it looks awesome to me though may spray a coat of clear over the entire plane think that would look nice
Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 PM
chevypower1930

The Escapades coming along

All I have left to do is MOUNT the engine (dry fitted right now) and join the wings.... still waiting on epoxy as I can't get out of the house yet to get it :/ This is going to be a beautiful plane I really like the design of this plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82646.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1479435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12355.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1479436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52268.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1479437  
Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not as big of a challenge as yours but I just had my knee surgery 2 weeks ago, nothing more frustrating than being trapped at home when you really want to get out and have some fun with your toys, I used to ride allot but now its mainly surfing its how I tweaked my knee good luck with your progress sounds like you have a positive perspective on the whole situation.
I just started my rehab its going to be a bit of a journey also.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
w8ye

Seven years ago I had both knees replaced and spent a month in the hospital.

After I got out, of the rehab hospital there was two months of out patient rehab. It shut my flying off for about a year mainly because it was done the end of February.

Thursday I have to go in to the heart Doctor and they are going to schedule my pacemaker replacement.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
chevypower1930

w8ye, Good luck! I'm sure it will go smoothly! my grandmother just had the same thing done a think 2 months ago, not a problem..

by the way guys I've been going crazy buying stuff. me on the couch on the computer all day looking at planes is DANGEROUS! I've bought a modded stryker that will run around 95... just bought a Mig 29 profile jet off rcgroups (first electric jet experience!) although it's not an EDF it does have a pusher prop in the mid section of the plane so it should fly similar to an edf! I've bought 4 Spektrum receivers so that will finish up all my planes to be set for 2.4 when I get back! and my escapades COMPLETE! just waiting on the epoxy for the wing and a switch from tower! Also ordered 3 lipos... 1 3s 1000 mah for that jet and also for my 3D foamy, a 2s 1000 mah to throw in my little falcon 40 heli

CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK TO THE FIELD! I'm gonna be stacked with fun!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
w8ye

I'm sure you will be having fun when you get back out there
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
hairy46

I have a friend that has a pace maker and I never knew it till he told me, He's very active and we raced full scale cars together for years and he said he has had it for years! my brother a year older then I may be looking at one soon. take care of yourself w8ye we need you for all that great info you have stored in your head! and you are appreciated! Bob
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
w8ye

My pacemaker/defibrillator is one of the better things that has happened to me in the last 5 years

I have not experienced any defibrillations yet

The ventral part assists about 80% of the time

I've developed permanent afib so you might as well forget that part.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM
seemefly_1

From an old friend on here, best of luck my man