RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Balancing a Trainer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11297861-balancing-trainer.html)

mike31 11-16-2012 04:50 PM

RE: Balancing a Trainer

Assuming you are going for nose weight install a Super Tigre as they tend to be a little heavier than most engines. They start and run well, too.

Bozarth 11-16-2012 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

... lament and frustration that a lot of us feel about the changes where almost nobody builds any more....
John - please - no lamenting over others[8D]

Plenty of other stuff to lament over.

Kurt

P.S. I know you really don't care if I've built a kit or not.

hairy46 11-16-2012 05:12 PM

Like Fred I want to be able to change weights if needed.

J330 11-16-2012 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: mike31

Assuming you are going for nose weight install a Super Tigre as they tend to be a little heavier than most engines. They start and run well, too.
Tigre 45 weighs the same as an OS AX 46 actually, which covers most of the OS clones too. The Tigre wing mufflers add 1 oz. over the other mufflers however, which can be replaced with a nice Macs tuned muffler instead.
I like how long a Tigre lasts, like a Timex.

MrBill03 11-16-2012 08:20 PM

Combatpigg,

Funniest sound I ever heard, and I can't understand a single word! Great song and I love the Dirt Cup at Skagit Speedway. Senior Kadet with OS 61 & 1 ounce on the tail. Beginner and just hit 100 flights with this combo

combatpigg 11-16-2012 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MrBill03

Combatpigg,

Funniest sound I ever heard, and I can't understand a single word! Great song and I love the Dirt Cup at Skagit Speedway. Senior Kadet with OS 61 & 1 ounce on the tail. Beginner and just hit 100 flights with this combo
Congratulations on hitting that milestone with your trainer..! Once I learned how to fly on my own, I was so eager that 100 flights would have been a typical week...?;)

hairy46 11-17-2012 06:31 AM

Yes CP I know what you meen there. When I first started flying I worked nights. I would get off of work about 4.30 AM and go strait to the flying field and fly till the wind came up. On days the wind stayed away I stayed out all day. Sleep was put off alot back then! I work days now and its the building planes that will cause me to miss the sleep now.

combatpigg 11-17-2012 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Yes CP I know what you meen there. When I first started flying I worked nights. I would get off of work about 4.30 AM and go strait to the flying field and fly till the wind came up. On days the wind stayed away I stayed out all day. Sleep was put off alot back then! I work days now and its the building planes that will cause me to miss the sleep now.
:D Hairy, I'm glad to know that there are other "nut cases" out there besides me...

hairy46 11-17-2012 12:12 PM

Hi Im Bob. Im a rcer, Hi Bob. Maybe someday there will be something like AA for us. Till then I will fly my brain's out.

BubbasanJohn 11-17-2012 10:02 PM

I for one am glad to see some one purchasing a glow engine for a trainer rather than electric. Don't give a boot about arf vs self built. I tried to find a Carl Goldberg eagle 2 kit ( I learned to fly on)  and no luck. Could not even find an eagle. Sheesh.  Wish they had arf options when I was learning.   Hell I wish there were buddy boxes. We played pass the transmitter. <div>
</div><div>Good luck with your plane. I'm not sure if I missed it already posted. Get AMA insurance, join a club and get instruction. </div>

combatpigg 11-17-2012 10:16 PM

A Goldberg Eagle 2 kit sold for $2900 on ebay last year.......!!??
[I would love to have that dummy wander into my garage]..

BubbasanJohn 11-18-2012 09:35 AM

Wow. That is a chunk of change. Love the old eagle kits wish they would come back.

Are you listening Goldberg?<br type="_moz" />

Battle Short 11-25-2012 09:36 PM

It took about 5 ounces on the very rear bottom of the fuselage to balance the plane, and a bit over an ounce on the left wingtip.  I went with the factory suggested 3 3/4" from leading edge for CG.  All weights were the sticky type that I drilled and screwed.  This in in a plane that has never had a drop of fuel in it's tank. The tank is in the very front of the plane, adding fuel will move the CG forward so I think I'll be OK with this setting for now, until I gain experience to play with moving it.<div>
</div><div>Thank you to all who made suggestions, it is greatly appreciated!</div><div>
</div><div>I took the plane to the field this weekend for its maiden flight.  The gentleman that has offered to teach me to fly met me, and looked over my trainer.  He stated I followed directions good, the plane should fly well.  The wind was too high, windsock was basically parallel to ground, with stray gusts.  He did not fly his own sport plane that day due to winds.  Soon the wind will cooperate.</div><div>
</div><div>Glenn</div>

JohnBuckner 11-26-2012 04:29 AM

Fantastic Glenn and I will look forward to your continuing adventures;)

John