Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

9.6 Volt batteries for speed 400 okay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9.6 Volt batteries for speed 400 okay?

Greetings,

My Sky Scooter II came with a speed 400 motor and an 8.4 volt battery pack. Will using the 9.6 volt batteris from Radio Shack shorten my motor's life?

I ask because I just burned up the motor in my Sky Scooter. I was on my fifth battery pack in a row without a cooling off. Lesson learned. A smoking electric foam plane is pretty scary. Smoldered for a long time and I didn't want it in my car if it was on fire inside.

Regards.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Frede2-RCU

Default Re: 9.6 Volt batteries for speed 400 okay?

Originally posted by Mike Ledbetter
Greetings,

a speed 400 motor and an 8.4 volt battery pack I just burned up the motor
Just you wait to see how hot it gets on 8 cells, or 9, or 10.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Keep in mind that it is not the voltage that killed your speed 400 motor but rather the current draw into the motor.

Your Sky Scooter has been optimized for a 7-cell pack. This means that at full throttle you are still drawing about 8-10amps in your speed 400 motor.

An 8-cell pack will work fine if you limit your use of full throttle. This is refered to as throttle management.

Often you can design your system for extra bursts of power as long as you use it wisely.

Also remember to let the motor cool between flight and the battery pack between flights and charges.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:11 AM
MTEXX

Mike-

I have a similar story you might be interested in.

I bought the Zagi 400X. It comes with a Speed-400 motor and an 8 cell batt.

One day, I decided to try a prop other than the usual carbon 5x5. I think it is a 8x6. Well, it seemed to work great! I was slicing and dicing the local cornfield. Until I noticed a smoke trail... That was the end of the Speed-400 motor.

I then ordered a pair of Speed-480 motors. They have been my mainstay for a few months. Never burned one up, even tho I haven't had the ballz to try that 8x6 again =D

www.parkflyers.com sells speed-480 reverse-timed motors for about 10.00 each.

good luck : )