Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor or ESC problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor or ESC problem?

Maybe, depends on the set up. Most of the time it drops slightly. BUT I've had a few where it actually climbed.

Also, just in case, as you are ok with your set up. But don't fall into the thought that dropping the throttle drops the amp draw. Doesn't work that way on a brushless system.
On a brushless system, the esc just switches on and off, the length of time it's on and off determines motor speed. Every time it's on, the motor is pulling full amps.

And, never ever take a meter reading as gospel unless the motor is running wide open. A meter takes several samples per second then averages them out to give you a reading.
At lower then full throttle, with the esc switching on and off, the meter "misses" the on reading and gets an off one. For example it takes ten samples and gets, 5 at 30 amps, and 5 at 0 amps. It averages the readings and tells you your set up is only pulling 15 amps. And that can lead you to the false belief that you are good to go, and then the magic smoke pours out.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Motor or ESC problem?

ORIGINAL: pontebuda

Glacier Girl / Dr. Kiwi, Finally solved motor problem ER... sort of. Turnigy controller matched to a 1.20 rotomax wouldn't run above 60%. With your assistance i still could not correct problem. Had another plane with a 80a controller in it. I switched them and both motors run perfect, STRANGE! so i put Turnigy D lux back with Rotomax motor.It still won't run above 60%. I'm not going to knock success i'll switch controllers and wonder why later if at all. Thanks for you interest and concern Bob Ponte

Bob, back to your problem with the original esc. Did you adjust the timing and PWM setting on it when you programmed it?
It could be that the esc is loosing synchronization with the motor at the higher rpm's. This can cause exactly what is happening with yours.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Williamboii2015

Default Anyone help me

Anyone help me having problems with my electric brushed rc car bsd racing prime onslaught v2 fully charged battery but while driving full speed for about 10-20 seconds then slows down and sometimes cuts out but steering still works
Old 04-03-2021, 04:54 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i got one for you?
advance 30 10 Pletty
D3 motors ESC rated up to 120A

i connect, get all the beeps
run motor to 1/2 throttle, so far so good
if WOT, then it backs down RPM.

it will do this on the get go, right from beginning

ESC has plenty of air over it

using the telemetry, I see voltage drops and the max amp draw is in 60's range.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:40 PM
Ronnieguy1954

Default Set up esc?

ESC & MOTOR PROBLEM how do you set up the esc?