Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

What does 27 turn, single wind motor mean and will two of them get me off the ground

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What does 27 turn, single wind motor mean and will two of them get me off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 PM
digitalboy91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does 27 turn, single wind motor mean and will two of them get me off the ground

I just found two Engines from the mid 90's from Kyosho
They do not stock them anymore but they did give me this info
They are 27 turn, single wind motor. What in the world does that mean and will two of them get my flying wing of the ground. I will have them pushing with 5 inch props. Will it fly?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What does 27 turn, single wind motor mean and will two of them get me off the ground

27 turns means that the wire is wrapped around the armature 27 times. The more turns a motor has, the more torque it has, and the slower it turns on a given voltage. A motor with fewer turns is "hotter," that is it has less torque and spins at a higher RPM. Your motors are "stock" 540-type car motors.

It's all relative. Knowing how many turns a motor has won't tell you much about its suitability for an application. While I don't have much experience with stock car motors in airplanes, I know they are of limited use.

Without knowing what this "flying wing" thing is, there is absolutely no way to know if these motors are suitable.

For sure, on 6 or 7 cells you won't be overworking them with 5" props. You might be able to spin 6" or even 7" props, but then you'll need heavier batteries to withstand the current.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:24 AM
pmac

Default RE: What does 27 turn, single wind motor mean and will two of them get me off the ground

I've been using a Magnetic Mayhem on my Zagi wing and it works really well. It's a 22 turn truck motor that costs $20. I'm flying it with 8 cells, though. It will get vertical with a hot battery and it is extremeley torquey. I've read about a lot of people on the web talking about using car and truck motors for their wings so I think many of them definitely work.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:37 AM
digitalboy91

What kind of speed do you get