Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions

+1 - at first i was thinking maybe turning the sleeve the hour or so would offset the other port, but from the pics it shows the whole fiasco is out of kilter- strange they let that get away...... im thinkin its going to be like new once you get it dialed in...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Enuflogic

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

+1 - at first i was thinking maybe turning the sleeve the hour or so would offset the other port, but from the pics it shows the whole fiasco is out of kilter- strange they let that get away...... im thinkin its going to be like new once you get it dialed in...
I double checked all the ports based on what the block was showing and they were all shifted approx 1/16" counterclockwise. I pulled the pin from the block, reseated the sleeve (verified with the port openings my measurements) and it appears to be dead on now. I installed it last night into a spare car, I'll see if I can get it fired up this evening and see how it runs now. I decided to hold on the sleeve modifications...for now

Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
jarredjoffe

hey i dont no if i posted pics here yet of my engine mod,
so here ya go its a t3.0 rs4 evo +3 engine

Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I practiced on a HPI .15FE engine.
I would like all comments from anyone that has had a .15FE.
This is just some test dremel work to see how my hand is.
Not trying to be a super modder...
I seem to have a steady hand and from what I think is right, there isn't much I can do with a .15FE.
The boost port is closed on the block and there is a hole in the piston so I'm guessing there is no work to be done there.

I need to further check my O.S. .12's but I think they are the same design with the boost port closed in the block and a hole in the piston.
I read earlier that this was to give a "poof" as far as the boost port goes.

The only point of "porting" here to help flow the mixture to the top and flush out the spent mix.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Twisted_Metal

I enjoy reading threads like these. Just the other day I managed to convert my RTR OFNAForce .28 to a non pull-start by purchasing a non-pull backplate and doing some minor grinding work to the inside to make clearance for the piston. Anyhow, I figure it's always the simple things you can do to a engine to make it faster. The minute you begin to do complicated things where one runs into trouble sometimes. One thing I noticed when grinding metal from the past and even present is that if you squeeze some oil on the metal prior to grinding it seems to make a much smoother cut.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 AM
zeo 1

im thinking of doing this with my go engine .21 4 port wont mess with the crank since it already has a boost swirl in it however i may fang the sleeve , any of you mates mod a go ?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
driller2948

You need to PM supertib. He is now an dealer for Go engines.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: driller2948

You need to PM supertib. He is now an dealer for Go engines.

Go and Picco/jammin !!!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:27 PM
VooDooModified

Thought I share a little bit of what Voo Doo Modified is all about.

If you are interested in getting a mod, contact me at [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18946.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1323114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37864.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1323115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78304.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1323116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77059.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1323117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf49728.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1323118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34576.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1323119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv39656.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1323120  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
stussman

Voodoo
u should start yor own post to discuss yor mods like the other modifiers here. The more to compare the better.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe I read all 24 pages at one sitting. My eyes are red and my back hurts! But very interesting.

Some very nice looking work here, and some "quite" as nice, but A+++ for effort in all cases.

I am making this post as I have a question...er....or a series of related questions

1/ I would think an engine would make more power, accelerate faster, etc., but there have been conflicting opinions in this thread about that. Some only think efficiency is improved, and therefore run-time on a tank of fuel is improved. Others are quite adament about increased performance. Do these port flow mods really improve performance, or are port timing mods required?

2/ Nowhere did I see much about "results" In fact, I never did see results from some of the earlier contributors, who went through a lot of effort and really seem to know what they're talking about. What was the end result of your experiments?

3/ I saw a few times where it was stated to be careful not to touch the inside of any ports as it may cause the internal sleeve plating to come off.....I presume during running. So if that's the case, how would anyone make timing changes where the port opening requires opening advancement or closing delay?

4/ I think I read conflicting opinions on final engine temps too. I can see improving efficiency would help reduce engine temps, but not too many people metioned temps, although I think I remember a high number in there somewhere.......270F? and a low number as well (200-238?). In general, did you experimenters find a reduction in temps after doing these mods?

Now if some results were posted, some of my questions already answered, please don't jump all over me. I just don't have the energy to re-read those 25 pages again......well, not quite yet...................

Thank-you.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Argess

I can't believe I read all 24 pages at one sitting. My eyes are red and my back hurts! But very interesting.

Some very nice looking work here, and some ''quite'' as nice, but A+++ for effort in all cases.

I am making this post as I have a question...er....or a series of related questions

1/ I would think an engine would make more power, accelerate faster, etc., but there have been conflicting opinions in this thread about that. Some only think efficiency is improved, and therefore run-time on a tank of fuel is improved. Others are quite adament about increased performance. Do these port flow mods really improve performance, or are port timing mods required?

2/ Nowhere did I see much about ''results'' In fact, I never did see results from some of the earlier contributors, who went through a lot of effort and really seem to know what they're talking about. What was the end result of your experiments?

3/ I saw a few times where it was stated to be careful not to touch the inside of any ports as it may cause the internal sleeve plating to come off.....I presume during running. So if that's the case, how would anyone make timing changes where the port opening requires opening advancement or closing delay?

4/ I think I read conflicting opinions on final engine temps too. I can see improving efficiency would help reduce engine temps, but not too many people metioned temps, although I think I remember a high number in there somewhere.......270F? and a low number as well (200-238?). In general, did you experimenters find a reduction in temps after doing these mods?

Now if some results were posted, some of my questions already answered, please don't jump all over me. I just don't have the energy to re-read those 25 pages again......well, not quite yet...................

Thank-you.

flow mods do very little to nothing at all...its more a placebo effect then anything else..cutting up a sleeve looks pretty for pictures, but unless there is timing and port mods behind it it is nothing but a waste of time...

yes you can cut ports, but its not easy to do clean, and its a very sensitive procedure that can result in lost performance easier then it will result in increased performance....

In the case of my mods power and efficiency are increased....the modified engines make better use of the fuel charge and waste less out the tuned pipe... overall making more power and using less fuel...

there are lots of fancy pictures floating around, but in most cases the mods shown will do absolutely nothing to improve the engines performance..
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Colt4g63

ORIGINAL: supertib

Some very nice looking work here, and some ''quite'' as nice, but A+++ for effort in all cases.

2/ Nowhere did I see much about ''results'' In fact, I never did see results from some of the earlier contributors, who went through a lot of effort and really seem to know what they're talking about. What was the end result of your experiments?

Thank-you.

flow mods do very little to nothing at all...its more a placebo effect then anything else..cutting up a sleeve looks pretty for pictures, but unless there is timing and port mods behind it it is nothing but a waste of time...

yes you can cut ports, but its not easy to do clean, and its a very sensitive procedure that can result in lost performance easier then it will result in increased performance....

In the case of my mods power and efficiency are increased....the modified engines make better use of the fuel charge and waste less out the tuned pipe... overall making more power and using less fuel...

there are lots of fancy pictures floating around, but in most cases the mods shown will do absolutely nothing to improve the engines performance..
X2 on everything that Supertib just stated.

I run a professional modifying company that holds world records etc and have done a lot of tests as you can imagine. The flow mods if done properly can help the engines performance and efficiency, but honestly JUST flow modifications even when done properly will have a very minimum in over all output for the engine... and if done wrong or too much cut out etc can have a negative effect and actually hurt power, ease of tune etc... There is a fine line between making something look wild and pretty and what actually works and is worth while to do. Timing profiles among other aspects of the engine have to be altered and will need to be altered to the right specs for what you are trying to achieve with the engines end result.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
controlliner

I am a basher only, I am more interested in extended run times than performance boost. I have always thought that smoothing flow areas would increase fuel efficiency.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
ausrcnut

Hey BCSAVAGE.

After you modded and ported your engine, what fuel and glow plug combinationdid you find worked the best...and was better for the engine's lifespan...???

Regards

Pete.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:30 PM
savagecommander

Thank-you.

so then you make timing adjustments?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 AM
D.DJ

timing adjustments are what really changes the engine. It can make it more efficient, resulting in better power, or it can shift and adjust power around the RPM range, depending what you do to it or what you want out of it. Most say that changing the timing on the crankshaft yeilds more power change than sleeve port timings, but I can't say for sure, I dont have the facts or stats to prove it, only that I "seem" to know where to make the cuts - so far. Every mod I did resulted in exactly what the person wanted, so we are both happy, but pro modders like Adam (AB Mods - Colt4g36) VooDooModified and the like, have the experience and the ability to prove and test there work, which I would love to do one day
Putting swirls and fangs can make an engine perform a little better by directing some of the flow in a better fashion, but some engines have that pretty much covered so it does very little. I know that the TRX 3.3 performs alot better when fangs are added to the boost port only, and possibly the intake ports but Im not sure as I added a turbo scoop to the crank face when I added the fangs to the intakes, so maybe I put the turbo scoop in the wrong position. Doesnt matter, it was my first engine I worked on, but its much better than stock overall.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
automan54

what do you use to fill the intake side of the crank?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
D.DJ

The intake side? Im assuming you mean the inlet window of the crank.
Im not too sure what you can use BUT I do know that it's some sort of silicon. I think RTV Putty or something, im pretty sure its somewhere in this forum, just dont remember where! All it does is better direct the fuel and air mixture through the crank instead of having wasted space messing with the flow.

UPDATE: (not really, just dont want to delete what I said)
I did find that some people say Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicon works, but they also say ThreeBond 1211 works well but takes a few days to set.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
advanced builder

Sorry I thought I was in the Nitro boat section. but FYI some old dude that blazed the trail many years ago
That stuff isn't new. John Finch's book on Advanced R/C Boat Modeling. went into depth on all that stuff your seeing 20 some years ago. give or take 5 years. There's more CK out John Finch he was the man. I believe they inducted him into the IMPBA hall of fame.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
supertib

Thank-you.

so then you make timing adjustments?
yes...that is mainly all i do...my wildest modified engines look bone stock to the naked eye...absolutely zero flow mods at all.... I have now tested some flow mods on my dyno and they did absolutely nothing...in fact i found the more material i remove from inside the engine the less responsive the throttle becomes...I will only do a flow mod if there is an apparent and obvious obstruction in the original design...other then that its all timing and balance....I am not sure how people always claim they make such huge power gains from flow mods as I have seen no evidence to support it....But timing mods are very sensitive and its very easy to damage an engine, or completely ruin its power delivery characteristics...todays modern race engines are very advanced and its extremely difficult to improve them without having years of trial and error experience under your belt..... fun to play with, but definitely not as easy as people think..
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
savagecommander

yes...that is mainly all i do...my wildest modified engines look bone stock to the naked eye...absolutely zero flow mods at all.... I have now tested some flow mods on my dyno and they did absolutely nothing...in fact i found the more material i remove from inside the engine the less responsive the throttle becomes...I will only do a flow mod if there is an apparent and obvious obstruction in the original design...other then that its all timing and balance....I am not sure how people always claim they make such huge power gains from flow mods as I have seen no evidence to support it....But timing mods are very sensitive and its very easy to damage an engine, or completely ruin its power delivery characteristics...todays modern race engines are very advanced and its extremely difficult to improve them without having years of trial and error experience under your belt..... fun to play with, but definitely not as easy as people think..
saying flow modification doesnt improve power? thats a tough pill to swallow... there is a trade off between volume and velocity, but i beg to differ on no evidence to support flow mods....
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM
supertib

saying flow modification doesnt improve power? thats a tough pill to swallow... there is a trade off between volume and velocity, but i beg to differ on no evidence to support flow mods....

Good thing people don't pay you to modify engines then !

flow mods do nothing but look pretty....dyno shows zero gains...on ground testing shows the same....I am not sure what else to say, it is what it is....
Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
savagecommander

just because they pay for it doesnt mean its right....
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
thechap76
My Feedback: (26)

hey zeo 1 im not sure if your still following this thread after its been drawn out so far but this is what I believe and i HAVE seen from engines that have been portedd and polished and fuel ramped....I noticed a cooler running temp i noticed on the fuel ramped engines that they consumed more fuel but in MY trucks and engines I noticed a VERY noticiaBLE ACCELERATION and power gain...supertib we have talked about this not to long ago...zeo 1 super tib does killer work i did not use him on my engine mods because of shipping cost but clockwork engines are killer there was a big forum a month back or so ago when me and another member tried to give props to a engine modder that goes by sw mods...now saying that i wll tell you thats who did my engines in ALL my trucks and i noticed the gains i explained ....he pays shipping back to you and as far as im concerned does a awesome job...scott does NOT mess with timing and im aware that with flow mods and a fuel ramp the dyno notices no increase...but i noticed a very good increase....supertib i did ur work man ive told ya that b4...you gotta get here in the states man so the shipping isnt so high

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.