RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Colt4g63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: Argess

I can't believe I read all 24 pages at one sitting. My eyes are red and my back hurts! But very interesting.

Some very nice looking work here, and some ''quite'' as nice, but A+++ for effort in all cases.

I am making this post as I have a question...er....or a series of related questions

1/ I would think an engine would make more power, accelerate faster, etc., but there have been conflicting opinions in this thread about that. Some only think efficiency is improved, and therefore run-time on a tank of fuel is improved. Others are quite adament about increased performance. Do these port flow mods really improve performance, or are port timing mods required?

2/ Nowhere did I see much about ''results'' In fact, I never did see results from some of the earlier contributors, who went through a lot of effort and really seem to know what they're talking about. What was the end result of your experiments?

3/ I saw a few times where it was stated to be careful not to touch the inside of any ports as it may cause the internal sleeve plating to come off.....I presume during running. So if that's the case, how would anyone make timing changes where the port opening requires opening advancement or closing delay?

4/ I think I read conflicting opinions on final engine temps too. I can see improving efficiency would help reduce engine temps, but not too many people metioned temps, although I think I remember a high number in there somewhere.......270F? and a low number as well (200-238?). In general, did you experimenters find a reduction in temps after doing these mods?

Now if some results were posted, some of my questions already answered, please don't jump all over me. I just don't have the energy to re-read those 25 pages again......well, not quite yet...................

Thank-you.

flow mods do very little to nothing at all...its more a placebo effect then anything else..cutting up a sleeve looks pretty for pictures, but unless there is timing and port mods behind it it is nothing but a waste of time...

yes you can cut ports, but its not easy to do clean, and its a very sensitive procedure that can result in lost performance easier then it will result in increased performance....

In the case of my mods power and efficiency are increased....the modified engines make better use of the fuel charge and waste less out the tuned pipe... overall making more power and using less fuel...

there are lots of fancy pictures floating around, but in most cases the mods shown will do absolutely nothing to improve the engines performance..
X2 on everything that Supertib just stated.

I run a professional modifying company that holds world records etc and have done a lot of tests as you can imagine. The flow mods if done properly can help the engines performance and efficiency, but honestly JUST flow modifications even when done properly will have a very minimum in over all output for the engine... and if done wrong or too much cut out etc can have a negative effect and actually hurt power, ease of tune etc... There is a fine line between making something look wild and pretty and what actually works and is worth while to do. Timing profiles among other aspects of the engine have to be altered and will need to be altered to the right specs for what you are trying to achieve with the engines end result.