Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:19 PM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

...how high did you say your fun factor could jump without breaking...I forgot....
Old 10-16-2005, 05:19 AM
poor judgement

jumps as high as i like...

...just the landings that can be a slight prob, what with the sheer speed and all...

u will be selling the cen then i guess?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 PM
azzman

Na, the CEN for now still has a place in my stable...some speed testing and drags are on the cards very soon...
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 PM
poor judgement

aye get some vids if poss of the drag races - what engine n box is in the savage?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:16 AM
poor judgement

seein as azzman is ignorin me - i got on with the 1/8 buggy wheels that Rolland recommended to me - lol check out this little beasty - im not sure what to make of the look of it - but it looks a lot better than with the truck body on there with these wheels. gonna give it a run today if the weather holds out for me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20200.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	345567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41460.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	345568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13856.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	345569  
Old 10-29-2005, 08:43 AM
azzman

Sh*t sorry PJ, wasnt ignoring you man woops, havent draged them yet, will post vids as soon as I do, K4.6 with 3 speed on the Savage, soon to be O.S 30 tho heheheheheheh.....
Old 10-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PJ, that thing looks awesome! Those wheels and tyres are perfect with that body. Almost looks 'factory' with the body on it, good work mate.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:20 AM
poor judgement

Rolland is a very wise man!

those wheels make it handle perfectly on the beach. it takes off with one hell of a rooster tail, and builds speed a lot quicker than with the tmaxx wheels n tyres. it was into second gear just about straight away and the handling was just as good at high speed. Finally some good power on steering, makes me question the need for a centre diff really, for my purposes at least. i could roll it if i really went silly with it, but surprised me with just how well it stayed upright, especially in the deep soft stuff.

Trouble is, its that enthusiastic with the power, my 2 speed appears to have blown up somewhat... suspecting a collapsed bearing, its all looking a bit sorry for itself in there. single speed coming up, will use 39t spur and 15t pinion, ie 2nd gear only - it really doesnt need 1st with these lighter wheels.

thanks Rolland, i really didnt expect it to handle quite as well as that!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Scouser

Vented clutch bell and Mugen shoes should see you running great mate. Single speed is definitely a good idea. Looks brilliant, bung a vid on here if you get chance.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:26 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was totally blown away by the handling of the 1/8 scale buggy wheels myself. On a high traction surface the differance is even more noticable and with the right suspension setup it will fly around corners almost as well as an onroad car.

Eventually I am going to try the XTM XLB's wheels and tires to see how they handle. They are almost the same size as the MT tires but they are still lighter.

The Schlesser looks real good with that wheel combo I might have to get one myself.

rolland
Old 10-30-2005, 08:46 AM
mulletman

the truck looks great
Old 10-30-2005, 11:15 AM
M odd er

Great job I've been looking for that body for years every time there sold out [&o]. How much was the T-Maxx CV swap? Is it worth it?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:41 PM
poor judgement

its a bit cheaper to do Rollands buggy shaft mod, u wont have the twisting shaft issues or have to cut up 4 cen cvs to do it his way - have a search or pm him etc, i cant remember which thread it was in
Old 10-31-2005, 11:36 AM
rolland

It is in this thread.
If you search this thread for the word "cvj" it should come up with the majority of it.

M odd er, I bought all of the parts for the swap at NW Nitro RC in Puyallup 253-841-4639 call them they will give you directions. I should also add that they are only open tues through sat.

rolland
Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
M odd er

Thanks Rolland I notice you live In Tacoma do you know of any race tracks over there on the main land? Just wondering cuse I'm just a boat ride away. Theres no real tracks or anyone I know of thats into RC on the Island were I live.[&o]
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
azzman

I added up all the parts needed, not just the ones in your post but the Tmaxx axle carriers and bearings as well (which you hadnt listed) and the total came to over US$150 plus shipping from 3 different suppliers...I am keen to do it also, but may wait till my stock of standard axles has run out!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
poor judgement

u tried ebay for any of the parts azzman?

i guess my mod is cheaper - check the posts on what parts u need and issues/probs [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2748818/anchors_2748818/mpage_1/key_tmaxx%252Chubs/anchor/tm.htm#2748818]here[/link] if you didnt already.

its not as tidy as rollands, but its all held up pretty well.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 PM
rolland

M odd er , There is Tacoma RC Raceway which has an offroad indoor track, nitro racing on saturday's, NW Nitro has a dirt oval, Fantasy world races on road on sundays when the weather is good, I think they are done for the season though. There is an indoor offroad in Lacey and up north in Renton.

Poor Judgement, I believe my swap is going to be more expensive because of the cost of the axles. Of course that is if you don't have to buy some CEN cvd's to cut up.

Unfortunately CEN's new truck is going to use the same wheels, cvd's and dogbones as the Fun Factors, which probably means they are going to use the same diff cups.

rolland
Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 AM
poor judgement

yea its the axles that do it. i was presuming that he already has a pair of useable cvs, so would just need 1 more pair along with the tmaxx plastic shafts and hubs. ebay is a saviour for all the parts, it cost me a little over £30 iirc - but the lower shock mounts may need modifying too, on the front at least, to clear the shafts - i cant honestly remember if i had to do it or just chose to do it with those rc10 servo mounts after screws pulled out of the plastic mounts.

(i still prefer ur mod tho rolland )
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM
rolland

Thanks for the complement.
The only problem that I have had so far is the diff cup coming out of the diff a little bit due to how the axles are adjusted. A little bit of fuel tubing solved that problem though.

rolland
Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 AM
poor judgement

just got in from a little beach bashing session. had some high tides so all the beach was hard, flat and very smooth - ideal for high speed testing then!

still using the 1/8 buggy wheels, new 2 speed works very well, engaging just a little early... very early with all the wheel spin from a standstill. had a wheel fly off, which is always good to see... then something strange happened - i realised id lost 4wd, but hey rwd is funny with this thing, but the brakes came on the front wheels by themselves and it stopped but i still had throttle control and rwd.... as soon as it stopped and idled, it started going backwards! uphill!! lol, i couldnt see anything obviously wrong with it so, very confused, and low on fuel - i called it a day.

turns out the balloon i used on the throttle servo had caught the prop shaft, wound around it tighter and tighter and caused the set screw on the cup to slip. it must have released itself then caught again to act as a front brake only, and then unwound to make it go backwards.

sounds dumb now, looked funny at the time tho - forwards. stop. backwards, stop... again and again.

decided that taller pinions are a good idea. seeing as i could just get away with a 14/18 combo on the tmaxx rims, i dont see them being any problem at all with the buggy wheels, i will see what ofna/hobao have to offer, as the engine is easily *****g out on these ratios.

engine took some retuning today tho, it wanted a load more fuel on the hsn, nearly half a turn... ah whatever keeps it happy suits me. its pretty cold out tho, northerly winds too - not nice, may well be my last beach session for this year. the centre diff chassis might get something done on it in the mean time, see how that performs onroad maybe.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 AM
rolland

To bad you didn't have a vid of that, not only to see it but to hear your comments as well.

With the colder, denser air nitro engines will need more fuel to run correctly.

You can get some on-road tires for the buggy wheels and do some serious high speed runs providing you could find a lot big enough.

rolland
Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 AM
poor judgement

lol - there was some confusion, laughing, then harsh swearing!

aye - i expected to have to run a bit richer, but not half a turn - the os is nowhere near as picky as that. not a prob tho.

as for onroad tyres... that centre diff needs finishing this winter, and thats going to be my on road toy, either with the centre diff or back to the high ratio 2 speed, got to sort some suspension settings out for it tho - fine on gravel and roughish stuff, but a bit pants on smooth tarmac. i will just use the stock buggy tyres to try out the 28. pinions for that are on order - 13/17 and 15/19 ratios are on order, so they should cover me for any size wheels as i have an 11/15 on it at the mo.

also ordered some proper ofna 17mm hexes for the tmaxx shafts, some proper ofna shock mounts and standoffs and just won some romulins on ebay for £1.99 - ok they are blue... but for 2 quid, who can argue...

gonna try hardening the new pinions a little as even these ofna ones are wearing a bit quickly on the cen spurs, but then the pinions are only small - the spurs still show hardly any sign of wear after a gallon and a half or so!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 AM
poor judgement

a little photo update for u - wear n tear and new bits

theres the state of my pinions and intact spurs, a bearing failure "trimmed" the pinions, but they still work ok for now. the rear half shafts/cvds/call em what u like, are due replacement - ebay and £3-4... fronts are like new tho. shot of ofna hyper 10 pinions and part numbers, only 1st gear suits the cen bell btw. new 17mm hexes are just the job, as are some proper shock offset thingys.

genesis pinions, associated bell, hyper 10 bell and softer shock springs and fluid are next on my list - it handles very well with the buggy wheels, they dig into the beach unlike the tmaxx wheels which understeer too much... got some new tyres coming with some new wheels too, will see how they work out then try suspension settings again - more pics soon if they ever arrive...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42507.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	360436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93831.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	360437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38357.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	360438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19082.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	360439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84064.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	360440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87354.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	360441  
Old 11-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Scouser

PJ, I didn't know you were running a different PBS system! Is that the Hyper one? Looks good mate, your whole arm/hub/shock setup looks well tough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.