Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

what CEN vehicle should I purchase next

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

what CEN vehicle should I purchase next

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:27 PM
SOILWORK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what CEN vehicle should I purchase next

I have enough of money saved for my eight rc, I already have a Nemesis and that truck is badass, so I decided that my next purchase will be another CEN. I am torn between the GST, Matrix truggy or a CT5...please help me decide.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what CEN vehicle should I purchase next

well, the GST and Nemesis are very very similar, soyou already know what they are like.
Do you race the Nemesis? If you had it setup for racing it might be nice to have a GST to bash, but if not, they are great, but very similar.
I just got a CT5 about a week ago, and I have to say it's pretty sweet. Probelm being you need a lot of pavement. The car does not like anything but a nice smotthe surface. So if you have the space, the CT5 is sweet

The matrix TR looks cool, but I've never tried one, so I dont know what to tell you about it.

Presonally, If you have the pavement, I would go CT5, but if not, the Matrix TR
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
SOILWORK

I already have 7 monster trucks and truggies, but I dont have a onroad vehicle, that is why I want a CT5 because it will be different for me. But I like the monster trucks and truggies also and want more.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
s5lin

Soilwork,

Here are my suggestions,

If you want a CT5, get one and a .21 conversion kit from New Era for a torque monster street car. If I recall correctly you're a Novarossi fan like myself, and I think if you could get a hold of a high rpm .21 like a P5X or the newer 7 port novas, you'd have a rocket. I'd actually recommend one of the off road engines in the on road car, because I find that if I am not strictly racing on road (like 1/8th scales or 1/10 scale touring) the larger heatsink of the off road motors will be more benficial in the long run in terms of engine life.

If you still want to play in the dirt, get a Matrix TR RTR, since it's a little cheaper to start out with if you want to just get up and running ASAP. But I am a kit person myself.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
SOILWORK

I never said I was a novorossi fan...and not one of my vehicles has a novarossi engine in it, and why would I want to put a big block on a CT5 when it already hits 70mph out of the box? Third..I am not starting out..read the first post..I already have several vehicles, you must have me confused with some one else.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
s5lin

Wait the person that had the novarossi engine was Blackrain and he had a Nemesis and did the .28 conversion like me. My mistake.

Relax bud, I never said you were starting out. I said if you wanted to get another vehicle up and running fast, of course it's easier to start with an RTR, since you don't have to get the servos, RX, and an engine. The CT5, yes it's fast already, but with the .21 conversion the car accelerates even quicker due to the big bore engine. The conversion kit is not that expensive by the way $20 if I recall correctly. Just check on New Era Models website.

Just for the record CT5 doesn't go 70mph straight out of the box, you have to change the pulleys to the top speed pulleys that are included in the box. The car comes stock with the acceleration gearing. I have worked on enough CT5s to know what they are like.

And, yes, I too have many vehicles but it's not always fun having to hijack servos from one car just to run another. I like to install everything in my cars and leave only the RX and RX pack as the only things I have to change between vehicles to run them...

I made the suggestion to you about getting the Matrix Arena RTR, because if you don't have tires, wheels, body, engine and pipe for the TR kit, then the first step to that kit maybe steeper than what you would want to spend. An decent engine and pipe combo can already set you back $150+

By the way when you get a chance, try a novarossi. You can then see why they are the choice of many racers (non sponsored drivers and sponsored drivers included).

I never said you were a rookie..... If you took my words as calling you a rookie, then my apologies, but belive me I know you been posting on the CEN forum here at RCU for a while. It's that your avatar reminded me of blackrains and I that's what made me confuse you two.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
SOILWORK

ORIGINAL: s5lin

Wait the person that had the novarossi engine was Blackrain and he had a Nemesis and did the .28 conversion like me. My mistake.

Relax bud, I never said you were starting out. I said if you wanted to get another vehicle up and running fast, of course it's easier to start with an RTR, since you don't have to get the servos, RX, and an engine. The CT5, yes it's fast already, but with the .21 conversion the car accelerates even quicker due to the big bore engine. The conversion kit is not that expensive by the way $20 if I recall correctly. Just check on New Era Models website.

Just for the record CT5 doesn't go 70mph straight out of the box, you have to change the pulleys to the top speed pulleys that are in the car. The car comes stock with the acceleration gearing. I have worked on enough CT5s to know what they are like.

And, yes, I too have many vehicles but it's not always fun having to hijack servos from one car just to run another. I like to install everything in my cars and leave only the RX and RX pack as the only things I have to change between vehicles to run them...

I made the suggestion to you about getting the Matrix Arena RTR, because if you don't have tires, wheels, body, engine and pipe for the TR kit, then the first step to that kit maybe steeper than what you would want to spend.

I never said you were a rookie..... If you took my words as calling you a rookie, then my apologies, but belive me I know you been posting on the CEN forum here at RCU for a while. It's that your avatar reminded me of blackrains and I that's what made me confuse you two.

No damage done!

I was looking at the Hpi nitro powered on road car and it seems to me that the ct5 seems to be a better handling car, my lhs has both in stock and I was looking them over and the CT5 seems to have a more tunable suspension. Now I have narrowed it down to the GST and the CT5.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 PM
s5lin

Are you talking about the Evo3? Yah, the evo3 only has the C-Hub style suspension and for most on-road cars, the pillowball design(CT-5, Mugen, Serpent) is preferred.

The HPI is a nice little car though, my buddy got one right before I got back into RC. Funny thing is, a week later, I got back into RC and got a Nemesis and starting smoking him around his driveway.

If you decide to go the CT-5 route, my personal favorite body for that car is the subaru. I also happen to like the Subaru rally NX. Been thinking about getting one of those as well. lol. Never enough $$, but too many cars to choose from in this hobby.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 PM
SOILWORK

I like the Mercedes, but I was going to purchase the CT5 through www.customrccars.com , they have a huge selction of custom bodies. For a small fee they will paint the body and also installl a light kit. I cant remember what HPI models I was looking at but one had the new NSX body and the other had the Cuda muscle car body.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
s5lin

Ryan at customrc is a cool guy. Dealt with him a few times.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
SOILWORK

ORIGINAL: s5lin

Ryan at customrc is a cool guy. Dealt with him a few times.
They have been good to me..always take the time to answer any questions I have.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey soil

make up your mind yet bud?? I've been seriously thinking about the matrix TR rtr. Looking to do sopme track time and show the guys here at the LHS track how much fun and how badass CEN rtr's can be. an onroad would be col too. Haven't run onroad since my pancar days.. Might bring back alot of memories..lol

Good thread too
Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
DarkFire989

GST FTW, lol jk. But the CT5 looks pretty sweet.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 PM
SOILWORK

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Hey soil

make up your mind yet bud?? I've been seriously thinking about the matrix TR rtr. Looking to do sopme track time and show the guys here at the LHS track how much fun and how badass CEN rtr's can be. an onroad would be col too. Haven't run onroad since my pancar days.. Might bring back alot of memories..lol

Good thread too
What ever happened to the pan car, there used to be a lot of companies that made 1/10th scale pan cars, now there is only 1/12th and the 1/8 nitro pan car. We used to race at the local roller skating rink on Monday nights, that was a lot of fun!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
The Real Dogman

Soil not really sure, what happened to them, prolly sold them off for some odd reason. They were a blast!! We used to run them in an old gymnasium of a converted elementary school to a police station in Waterford Michigan!!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
s5lin

Out here in CA, the pan cars are now all either dirt oval cars or just oval cars. Alot of the guys are making some of the 1/8th scale off road buggies into dirt oval cars. It's kinda cool actually when you see these converted buggies speeding around.

I still remember those 3 shock T-Bar setup RC10L, pretty cool setup with the saddle pack batteries and foam tires. If you get a TR, you could get a set of buggy arms and driveshafts, turnbuckles, and a rally body and turn it into a giant rally car! Kyosho Inferno GT Killer!!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
SOILWORK

I finally purchased another vehicle...after debating on what to buy, I purchased the Matrix arena truck kit. This will be somthing for me to build durning those nice east coast snow days when I'm snowed in. The only questions I have is what diff fluid do you recommend for tracks with real dry terrain? Thanks...!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
dStruct714

Nice...

I just purchased my first CEN truck, a GST and I couldn't be happier with it. I was debating if I liked the Matrix more or the GST, but I've always had stadium trucks and wanted something that could handle just about anything thrown at it. GST FTW!!

I'll bet the Matrix is crazy fast, and nimble. From what I've seen in the Matrix videos on youtube it looks crazy stable and can handle turns nicely. *drool* heh

Post some feedback on it once it's built and broken in.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
The Real Dogman

Ok Fellas I did it!!!! Got the Matrix TR Arena RTR from the 'Bay. I'm So Stoked!!!! Hope I didn't outbid any of guys but I got it $431 Shipped!!! Should be here by next Thurs!!! Wanna Race!!!!! Giggling like a little school girl!!!!!! hehehe
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
JeffyB

Its a great truggy, i get a big grin every time i see mine and im bashing at the track this sunday as well , I hope you got one with the sh engine although cen are good if you have any problems. I would suggest the cnc bellcrank and some mugen springs (cheap from ebay, got mine for $12 for all 4 delivered). Just enjoy it, i certainly have.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
blackrain

congratulations on the new matrix dogman, i my self would like to pick up a gst later this year unless the gst 4.6 comes out.