Search
Notices

Hawk Tail Wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 AM
Stebbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Tail Wire

Here's another build question for my Hawk SE II.

When assembling the Tail Boom and wire into the main mechanics the flattened end of the tail drive wire goes into the tail drive output shaft but does not fit snugly as expected (there is some rotational movement of the output shaft before it makes the wire move).

And also having positioned the tail gearbox input grub screws over the flat on the drive wire then the wire does not fully engage all the way into the drive output shaft (there is still about 4mm before it is fully engaged).

Any comments ?

I was thinking of adding some heat shrink tubing over the flattened end of the drive wire to make a tight fit into the tail drive output shaft ?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM
scotter

Default RE: Hawk Tail Wire

You can take a pair of pliers and squeeze on the female/receiving end of the output shaft to improve the fit of the tail drive wire. Be careful and don't go too far. Just snug it up. If it's too tight you won't be able to insert the tail wire without taking the boom off. I would squeeze on it while the drive wire is inserted - kinda keeps ya from going too far.
Not sure what you mean about the drive wire not being fully engaged into the gearbox input shaft. You ground the flat on the drive wire right? Make sure there are no burrs left over from doing that that are hanging up. Then insert the drive wire until it bottoms out, which you should be able to feel. If it's not bottoming all the way then either something is in the gearbox input (dirt, filings, etc) or there's a burr on the end of the drive wire that's hanging up.
I wouldn't do the heat shrink thing. I think the loads and high frequency vibes would beat it up pretty fast. Just squeeze down the output shaft until there's just the slightest hint of drag on the drive wire when inserting it and be done with it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM
captainG

Default RE: Hawk Tail Wire

Just thought I would throw this info out.
Today I was hovering my Hawk Sport and the wire drive disconnected at the tail connector screws. I noticed the tail started to wag so I started to set it down and then it gave out. It spun to the ground. No damage to my heli. Anyway I tightned up both sides and verified it was on the flat spot. I went out to hover again yep it gave way again! So I came home and ordered a torque drive upgrade. So far I like this heli. I think the worst part is that wire drive and the linkage from the rudder servo to the tail. I put the servo in the back and I am very happy with that. Anyway thats my 2 cents worth. I'm still in the learning stage![X(]